Use VST plugins in logic?

betz

Hi,

i'm just beginning with logic and i can't find anything about using vst instruments in logic pro 8.

Does anyone knows where to find good tutorials about this?

Manythanx in advance.

grtz,

tom

Logic Pro 8 does not support VSTs by default, there are some third party wrapper tools that could wrap the VSTs so AU plug-ins that might or might not work reliably.

Most decent plug-in vendors support AU plug-ins anyway, so it's not a big deal. Also remember that you can't just take a VST built for a PC and run it in MacOSX, you need a plug-in that is in AU format and build for MacOSX.

In case you DO have VST plugins for the Mac, than this is what you need http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=5&tab=22

I've tryied it with a couple "soft on CPU" plugs, and it worked fine, but as Kent said already, good plugins come in AU format too, so there's not a real need for wrappers. ;)

Good luck!

Yes, also check if the VST is built as a universal binary, otherwise the wrapped VST won't work with Intel Mac systems. Anyway, AU plugins are the way to go.

betz,

Among your recording enthusiast friends, and on any other audio forums you frequent, you may want to spread the word as much as possible that "VST" is not a generic term for "Plugin" or "Software Instrument." VST is a *specific* format, which Logic does not use.

By analogy, I realize that in some parts of the U.S., the term "Coke" is used to refer to any soft drink including Pepsi, Mountain Dew, etc.; but using the term "VST" to talk about any format of plugin or software instrument will only cause confusion.

Several other newbies to this forum have used the term the same way. This is a friendly reminder for you too. The term you are looking for is not "VST." It is either "Plugin" (for an effect) or "Software Instrument" (for a plugin you play with a MIDI keyboard).

Thanks!

Matt