Solo Lock Mode: Manual not super clear, and I don't get it

appillar

On page 301 the manual says this:

"Using Solo Lock: On occasion, you may want to lock the solo status of several regions. As an example, this would be especially useful when you want to make changes to the playback parameters of a region, while listening to a specific group of soloed tracks."

I translate that to this: "You can lock a group of regions as soloed, then move up or down your project soloing (and un-soloing) other regions while the original group stays soloed, to always hear the original group in context with the newly soloed region.

It's not working like that for me, so I assume my interpretation is wrong, but I haven't figured out how to interpret that any other way.

Anyone clear on Solo Lock Mode? Also, does the Track/Mute Solo Preference affect Solo Lock Mode in any way?

Mucho thanks for any feedback!

It's not working like that for me, so I assume my interpretation is wrong, but I haven't figured out how to interpret that any other

That's not quite how it works, to my understanding.

What it allows you to do is to create a set of regions you want to monitor, and then select one of those regions and edit specifics. You could also select and edit a region not included in the Solo Lock selection.

To get a feel for how it works, try shift selecting a few MIDI regions, then hit the letter S (solo) and try to open and edit the contents of one of the individual regions in editor of your choice. While it's possible to get this to work for MIDI in the piano and score editors, it's awkward. Now do the same test with solo lock (option S). You should be able to select and edit region contents without losing your solo selection.

Also, does the Track/Mute Solo Preference affect Solo Lock Mode in any way?

Not to my understanding. Haven't tested it.

Also, does the Track/Mute Solo Preference affect Solo Lock Mode in any way?

Not to my understanding. Haven't tested it.

Well actually everything is connected to a degree.

Track Mute/Solo = CPU saving mode

All you're doing is using the "S" button on a track header to solo all the regions on that track. So in Solo lock mode, clicking that "S" button changes what's solo-locked.

Track Mute/Solo = Fast Remote Channel Strip

All you're doing is using the "S" button on a track header to remote control the "S" button on the channel strip assigned to that track. So it doesn't affect region solo status, only obviously if you solo a track that doesn't have any regions solo-locked or soloed, but some other region(s) on another track is (are) solo-ed, then you won't hear anything.

"Using Solo Lock: On occasion, you may want to lock the solo status of several regions. As an example, this would be especially useful when you want to make changes to the playback parameters of a region, while listening to a specific group of soloed tracks."

I translate that to this: "You can lock a group of regions as soloed, then move up or down your project soloing (and un-soloing) other regions while the original group stays soloed, to always hear the original group in context with the newly soloed region."

No, you should translate into: "You can lock a group of regions as soloed, then move up or down your project selecting (and de-selecting) other regions while the original group of regions stays soloed, to always hear the original group in context while editing whatever regions you want."

Well actually everything is connected to a degree.

Track Mute/Solo = CPU saving mode

All you're doing is using the "S" button on a track header to solo all the regions on that track. So in Solo lock mode, clicking that "S" button changes what's solo-locked.

Track Mute/Solo = Fast Remote Channel Strip

All you're doing is using the "S" button on a track header to remote control the "S" button on the channel strip assigned to that track. So it doesn't affect region solo status, only obviously if you solo a track that doesn't have any regions solo-locked or soloed, but some other region(s) on another track is (are) solo-ed, then you won't hear anything.

Thanks for clarification!

• 5 years later...

I translate that to this: "You can lock a group of regions as soloed, then move up or down your project soloing (and un-soloing) other regions while the original group stays soloed, to always hear the original group in context with the newly soloed region.

It's not working like that for me, so I assume my interpretation is wrong, but I haven't figured out how to interpret that any other way.

Anyone clear on Solo Lock Mode? Also, does the Track/Mute Solo Preference affect Solo Lock Mode in any way?

Mucho thanks for any feedback!

I wish there was a command to make it work like that. I'm tired of shift-clicking individual regions to hear it soloed with a main soloed track. The new computer programers for the new version of Logic obviously don't construct music using the program much. What music engineer wouldn't want to be able to listen to different regions against a main soloed region with just a simple click on the other regions you also want to hear? I don't want to shift-click, nor move away from the region to push solo icons.