I've stopped using them.
I had 3 projects corrupt because of the way the folders were acting up. Once they start going haywire, it seems like nothing can be done to make them behave.
Could you elaborate on the symptoms of the corruption?
I've also experienced my first unrecoverable "Damaged Project" in Logic in years. This was also the first project in which I began extensively using Folders.
These were the symptoms as I reported at the time, sure to strike fear in the heart of any Logician. Take a stiff drink before reading:
"A Logic project now refuses to open properly. Logic immediately gives a "Damaged Project" warning upon attempting to open. If one clicks past this, one is greeted with a further dialogue about "Minor Repairs" with the option to fix. If one fixes, then the project opens with empty tracks. If one chooses not to fix, then the Track Folders appear, and many empty tracks assigned to "no output". The Folders are still empty."
Oddly, I was able to open the project on a G5, but not on the Mac Pro. Both systems had identical versions of OS, Logic, plug-ins, etc. Still, the fact that it was the Folders which were so adversely affected makes me wary of using Folders further.
Well.. No "Damaged Project" warning for me.. You must have a Posh version of Logic with Manners Mate! Maybe 8.0.3? Haha!
Nah.. As I said.. Mine just started acting up. Similar to you.. The "No Output" tracks remained after the folder was repacked. Its OK packing them in the 1st place.. But dont dare unpack & repack again. Thats when the trouble begins.
I was using the folder for Midi files / Grooves. I also tried "housekeeping" by organising the Drums into 1 folder / Bass sounds into another etc.. That was a disaster too.
I ended up having to delete all the No Outputs. Then Logic started going mental. It was almost as if there was an extra ghost track somewhere, that was not on the Mixer or arrange page.. which was playing random notes. These were similar to a Plugin Synth sound that I was using - But this was definitely not playing.
With every channel on the mixer muted.. it was still happening & with NO
level being registered on the Master Output. Mental.
I've also noticed this happening from time to time with Ultrabeat. Sometimes it goes all "ghosty" and starts playing a sound that has been deleted. Even when the project is reopened, its still happening. I wonder will Logic 9 be any better. A Mate of mine who is a Beta Tester said that they were looking into it - Or at least it was discussed
with his contact at some point
- SO time will tell I suppose.
Best course of action.. Save / Save / Save - every single step of the way with different names - "My Song" - "My Song - 1" - "My Song - 2" etc.. If & when the Sh*t hits, you've got something half intact to fall back on.