A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

 
lincolnk
Topic Author
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:42 pm
Contact:

Consolidation (Pro Tools) - Seeking Logic Equivalent

Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:37 pm

Does anyone know the equivalent to "Consolidating" in Pro Tools - In Logic?

I would like to consolidate audio regions into 1 single region,..I know the = key makes multiple regions into one..but can that same thing be done from bar 1 (which would include empty space)?

I probably can figure this out on my own later - but I won't be at my computer w/Logic probably for another couple of hours.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
 
User avatar
triplets
Posts: 12390
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:21 pm
Location: North Hollywood
Contact:

 

Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:55 pm

In Logic it's called Merge. Or you can use the Glue Tool.
You can also Export All Tracks As Audio Files, instead of bouncing.
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro and X certified
ProTools 10 & 11 Certified Operator
2 x 2.26 Intel Quad-Core 10 GB RAM, Logic 10.3.1, 10.11.6., UA Apollo
http://www.ultimatestudiosinc.com
 
timothyallan
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:37 am
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

 

Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:49 pm

Merge/glue won't work unless you have a region at bar 1 (which I'm assuming you don't?)

I really miss the consolidate feature in Live as well, you could highlight any area and consolidate into a region. It would be perfect if you had the ability to marquee select an area of a track and convert to an audio file!
10.8 latest - LPX latest
 
User avatar
Tarekith
Posts: 428
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:23 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

 

Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:57 pm

Too bad all audio files you merge in Live are automatically normalized :(
Logic 9 - i7 15" MBP - Fireface400 - OSX 10.7.2
 
timothyallan
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:37 am
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

 

Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:59 pm

This is true as well.


BTW Hi Tarekith.

Shh don't tell the others that I'm here. They'll stone me. ;)
10.8 latest - LPX latest
 
User avatar
Tarekith
Posts: 428
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:23 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

 

Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:00 pm

I wish someone would stone me....
Logic 9 - i7 15" MBP - Fireface400 - OSX 10.7.2
 
lincolnk
Topic Author
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:42 pm
Contact:

 

Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:50 pm

Thanks a Million Triplets, Timothyallen, and Tarekeith,..

I think I'm feeling the "Export All Audio Tracks" option...but I will also try the Merge/Glue way,...but I really need to be able to import tracks and have them line up the right way; which is a feature that consolidation does very well in PT - however, I have used the "Export All Audio Tracks" feature in the past - and it really works like a charm in regards to starting things @ measure 1.

i will try these all of these options now and will let you all know how everything worked out for me.

Peace.

Linc!
 
davidpye
Posts: 908
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:40 pm

 

Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:00 am

Often if I want to do things the manual way, with the glue tool, I'll just copy back a very small portion of audio to bar 1 beat 1, and use it on every track I wish to glue.

Don't forget also now in Logic 9 there is the bounce in place command which is GREAT for this.
Hackintosh i5 6600K 4.4ghz, LaCie External HD's, Logic X/9, OS 10.12.2. Apogee Duet 2, MOTU 896HD, Sytek MPX-4Aii, Lomo 19-A9, Coles 4038, Calrec 652 Pair, Oktava MKL-2500, AT-4033 Pair, Beyer M201, M-Audio Axiom 25, TR-8
 
timothyallan
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:37 am
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

 

Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:36 am

davidpye wrote:
Often if I want to do things the manual way, with the glue tool, I'll just copy back a very small portion of audio to bar 1 beat 1, and use it on every track I wish to glue.

Don't forget also now in Logic 9 there is the bounce in place command which is GREAT for this.


BIP won't do the empty space thing like consolidate though :)


edit: nm, it will if you copy a blank bit of audio at the start like you say. Hacky way of doing it though!
10.8 latest - LPX latest
 
User avatar
Eric Cardenas
Moderator
Posts: 21530
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Contact:

 

Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:46 am

I would use the export option.
Then you are able to capture the AUX channels as well:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3650
Eric Bradley Cardenas
EC Making Sound
Mac mini 2.6 GHz 16GB RAM Areca⚡RAID | MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz 16GB RAM | Os 10.12.3
Logic Pro 10.3.1 | RME Fireface UFX | Adam A7 + Sub8 | Spectrasonics | Softube
 
User avatar
Tarekith
Posts: 428
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:23 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

 

Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:49 am

How does export all capture side-chaining? I have a client that always has issues sending me the files for mixdowns in Logic because of this.
Logic 9 - i7 15" MBP - Fireface400 - OSX 10.7.2
 
fader8
Posts: 11314
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:46 am
Location: Tampa, Florida
Contact:

 

Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:56 am

lincolnk wrote:
,...but I really need to be able to import tracks and have them line up the right way; which is a feature that consolidation does very well in PT -

What you want to do is use the "Convert Regions to New Audio Files" command. This will create new audio files that only have region content. Each of these files is timestamped in Logic with the original region position, so, when you bring your new files into a new track, use the "Move Regions to Original Record Position" command and they will pop to their original locations.
Music helps not the toothache.--George Herbert

G5Quad2.5, LP9.0.2,OSX.5.8,RME Digi&Multiface,002r, 4xUAD-1,Duende PCIe,Unitor8-AMT8,Logic Control+4 LCXT's,Capybara320,Kurz...
 
User avatar
Eric Cardenas
Moderator
Posts: 21530
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Contact:

 

Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:00 am

Tarekith wrote:
How does export all capture side-chaining? I have a client that always has issues sending me the files for mixdowns in Logic because of this.


I don't think it works. Export is always offline and you need realtime for that.
Eric Bradley Cardenas
EC Making Sound
Mac mini 2.6 GHz 16GB RAM Areca⚡RAID | MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz 16GB RAM | Os 10.12.3
Logic Pro 10.3.1 | RME Fireface UFX | Adam A7 + Sub8 | Spectrasonics | Softube
 
User avatar
Eric Cardenas
Moderator
Posts: 21530
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Contact:

 

Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:16 am

lincolnk wrote:
Thanks a Million Triplets, Timothyallen, and Tarekeith,..

I think I'm feeling the "Export All Audio Tracks" option...but I will also try the Merge/Glue way,...but I really need to be able to import tracks and have them line up the right way; which is a feature that consolidation does very well in PT - however, I have used the "Export All Audio Tracks" feature in the past - and it really works like a charm in regards to starting things @ measure 1.

i will try these all of these options now and will let you all know how everything worked out for me.

Peace.

Linc!


Use Bounce-Replacing All Tracks in place if you are on Logic 9.
Eric Bradley Cardenas
EC Making Sound
Mac mini 2.6 GHz 16GB RAM Areca⚡RAID | MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz 16GB RAM | Os 10.12.3
Logic Pro 10.3.1 | RME Fireface UFX | Adam A7 + Sub8 | Spectrasonics | Softube
 
David Aurora
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:05 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

 

Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:18 am

every time this topic comes up i am more and more convinced 90% of user here have no idea how pro tools handles this :lol: :lol:

so, for the record, it works like this in PT- its like the merge tool, except it can create silent audio before/after regions too. so just say you have audio that starts at 5 seconds on the timeline, but you want to give it a start time of 0 seconds, you just select the file and the gap before it, and hit consolidate. thats it. dead simple. you can select one track, 10 tracks, all tracks, and they will all become files of the user specified length when consolidated. there just absolutely is no faster way of exporting files than this. all you gotta do after this is delete your unused files and then you can basically copy and hand the audio files folder out like a multitrack tape, everything is in there and synced, named, and can be opened in every DAW under the sun.

but, i was trying to do this tonight in logic 9 (i just upgraded from 8 ) and it appears theyve still skipped right past this feature. you still have to either bounce with all processing bypassed, or create a blank bit of audio to paste where you want files to start/end and then merge/glue them together, and then rename all the files (in PT, by default it names them based on the channel name, no need to go through menus to do it or manually type it).

i honestly cant figure out how logic's developers keep looking past this haha. they obviously put in the effort to get the bounce in place stuff in there and putting in the plugin/auto bypass and all that. so they understand the task people are trying to accomplish. yet they went so far on the overkill that they neglected to make a simple and fast way to do the job.

i swear, put the logic developers in a room with people who actually cut records for a living for a day with a notepad and a whole lot of coffee and logic would be without a doubt the coolest goddamn thing ever invented in audio. its so close to perfection, but they always seem to aim too high on new features and wind up neglecting the basic functionality/fixing bugs.
Macbook Pro 2.5/4 gigs RAM/OS10.6/Logic 9
 
User avatar
Ashermusic
Posts: 3026
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:51 am
Location: Lake Balboa, CA
Contact:

 

Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:40 am

David Aurora wrote:
every time this topic comes up i am more and more convinced 90% of user here have no idea how pro tools handles this :lol: :lol:

so, for the record, it works like this in PT- its like the merge tool, except it can create silent audio before/after regions too. so just say you have audio that starts at 5 seconds on the timeline, but you want to give it a start time of 0 seconds, you just select the file and the gap before it, and hit consolidate. thats it. dead simple. you can select one track, 10 tracks, all tracks, and they will all become files of the user specified length when consolidated. there just absolutely is no faster way of exporting files than this. all you gotta do after this is delete your unused files and then you can basically copy and hand the audio files folder out like a multitrack tape, everything is in there and synced, named, and can be opened in every DAW under the sun.

but, i was trying to do this tonight in logic 9 (i just upgraded from 8 ) and it appears theyve still skipped right past this feature. you still have to either bounce with all processing bypassed, or create a blank bit of audio to paste where you want files to start/end and then merge/glue them together, and then rename all the files (in PT, by default it names them based on the channel name, no need to go through menus to do it or manually type it).

i honestly cant figure out how logic's developers keep looking past this haha. they obviously put in the effort to get the bounce in place stuff in there and putting in the plugin/auto bypass and all that. so they understand the task people are trying to accomplish. yet they went so far on the overkill that they neglected to make a simple and fast way to do the job.

i swear, put the logic developers in a room with people who actually cut records for a living for a day with a notepad and a whole lot of coffee and logic would be without a doubt the coolest goddamn thing ever invented in audio. its so close to perfection, but they always seem to aim too high on new features and wind up neglecting the basic functionality/fixing bugs.


David, it has always kinda been like this with Logic. DAW X will only give you one way to do something where Logic will give you 5 ways, but the one way in DAW X will may quicker and more direct.

That said, I could give you a list of guys who use Logic who do in fact cut records for a living who communicate regularly with the developers and it really does not change their approach.
iMac 3.4 Quad Core i7 w/ OSX 10.12.3, i7 3930 3.6 Six Core w/ Win 10

Composer, Logic Pro X Certified Trainer
Author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9" & "Scoring with Logic Pro"
http://www.jayasher.com
 
davidpye
Posts: 908
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:40 pm

 

Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:22 pm

I'd sometimes like to put an arpeggiator in front of a software instrument in protools but can't, see where I'm going?

The same result you're trying to achieve is absolutely possible in Logic, you just go about it in different ways.
I absolutely DO understand how PT handles this, I've done it literally hundreds of times. I also understand how you go about it in Logic and that's what we've been suggesting you do.
Sadly just saying what a shame it is that it doesn't work the way you want it to isn't: A. Going to change Logic's design. B. Going to get your work done for you!
Hackintosh i5 6600K 4.4ghz, LaCie External HD's, Logic X/9, OS 10.12.2. Apogee Duet 2, MOTU 896HD, Sytek MPX-4Aii, Lomo 19-A9, Coles 4038, Calrec 652 Pair, Oktava MKL-2500, AT-4033 Pair, Beyer M201, M-Audio Axiom 25, TR-8
 
timothyallan
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:37 am
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

 

Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:06 pm

By the sounds of the PT description, consolidate works exactly the same in Ableton as well and it's a feature I used all the time that I sorely miss since I've started using Logic.

Electronic/dance music uses a lot of loops. Consolidate was a vital part of my workflow, turning an odd bunch of samples into a perfect 2 bar loop regardless of empty space. It's 'do-able' in L9, it's just a time consuming pain :) Throw in the fact that you can't have anything sidechained when doing bounce in place and it becomes even more of a hassle.
10.8 latest - LPX latest
 
ERO
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:38 am

 

Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:43 pm

So, with so many ways to do this, what is the best way to do this in Logic?
LPX 10.2.2; OSX 10.9.5; Mac Pro 2x2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon; 40GB RAM; Antelope Orion 32; Antelope 10M Atomic Clock.
 
David Aurora
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:05 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

 

Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:00 pm

Ashermusic wrote:
David Aurora wrote:
every time this topic comes up i am more and more convinced 90% of user here have no idea how pro tools handles this :lol: :lol:

so, for the record, it works like this in PT- its like the merge tool, except it can create silent audio before/after regions too. so just say you have audio that starts at 5 seconds on the timeline, but you want to give it a start time of 0 seconds, you just select the file and the gap before it, and hit consolidate. thats it. dead simple. you can select one track, 10 tracks, all tracks, and they will all become files of the user specified length when consolidated. there just absolutely is no faster way of exporting files than this. all you gotta do after this is delete your unused files and then you can basically copy and hand the audio files folder out like a multitrack tape, everything is in there and synced, named, and can be opened in every DAW under the sun.

but, i was trying to do this tonight in logic 9 (i just upgraded from 8 ) and it appears theyve still skipped right past this feature. you still have to either bounce with all processing bypassed, or create a blank bit of audio to paste where you want files to start/end and then merge/glue them together, and then rename all the files (in PT, by default it names them based on the channel name, no need to go through menus to do it or manually type it).

i honestly cant figure out how logic's developers keep looking past this haha. they obviously put in the effort to get the bounce in place stuff in there and putting in the plugin/auto bypass and all that. so they understand the task people are trying to accomplish. yet they went so far on the overkill that they neglected to make a simple and fast way to do the job.

i swear, put the logic developers in a room with people who actually cut records for a living for a day with a notepad and a whole lot of coffee and logic would be without a doubt the coolest goddamn thing ever invented in audio. its so close to perfection, but they always seem to aim too high on new features and wind up neglecting the basic functionality/fixing bugs.


David, it has always kinda been like this with Logic. DAW X will only give you one way to do something where Logic will give you 5 ways, but the one way in DAW X will may quicker and more direct.

That said, I could give you a list of guys who use Logic who do in fact cut records for a living who communicate regularly with the developers and it really does not change their approach.


Yeah that's what stumps me, and makes me worry about what kind of future I'm investing in with Logic. Don't get me wrong, I do like it a lot, but they just seem to flat out ignore the experienced users suggestions on real day to day workflow to please ignorant beginners. Great for Garageband, but fatal for any serious pro audio software. Fingers crossed that V9 turns this around as updates arrive


davidpye wrote:
I'd sometimes like to put an arpeggiator in front of a software instrument in protools but can't, see where I'm going?

The same result you're trying to achieve is absolutely possible in Logic, you just go about it in different ways.
I absolutely DO understand how PT handles this, I've done it literally hundreds of times. I also understand how you go about it in Logic and that's what we've been suggesting you do.
Sadly just saying what a shame it is that it doesn't work the way you want it to isn't: A. Going to change Logic's design. B. Going to get your work done for you!


Oh I know what you're saying, but the point remains. Users have said "We need a function that does X. The practical method of doing it is Y. Please give us Z" and Apple seem to fire back with "We can do better! Here's Z.1. Same end result, but slower and with more bells and whistles!". That's all well and good, and I do appreciate the extra effort for the bells and whistles, but how about getting the basic idea working first and THEN developing new ideas from there? And expressing disappointment with it WILL change Logic's design. I had lost faith that they were listening, but 9 has shown a bunch of improvements people had been begging for. It's just that some of those improvements were so innovative that they forgot the original point :lol: :lol:


ERO wrote:
So, with so many ways to do this, what is the best way to do this in Logic?


To get files out of Logic- go with "Export all audio files". If you're staying in Logic, you'll have to paste a chunk of blank audio at whatever region boundaries you want and then merge files.
Macbook Pro 2.5/4 gigs RAM/OS10.6/Logic 9