Bouncing, mixing

Awil

hi,

i am a relative beginner in using Logic. I am wondering what exactly does it mean to bounce a track and what does bouncing a track do and should I do it.

Which is better for recording vocals and then editing them (compressing/eq, etc) Soundtrack pro or Logic.

Thanks

Hi Awil,

Bouncing a track means that you convert the audio or midi into a new audio file. It can include the effects that are affecting its sound, all of them or the ones you decide to choose.

This is very useful when you are using a lot of FX or plugins and you want to save CPU power and RAM, therefore your session will go smoothly if you bounce your tracks. I will for instance recomend bouncing the amp and pedal designers, that way you can work the track with the main reverbs or delays that you are using for your session.

Hope this helps.

hi,

i am a relative beginner in using Logic. I am wondering what exactly does it mean to bounce a track and what does bouncing a track do and should I do it.

Which is better for recording vocals and then editing them (compressing/eq, etc) Soundtrack pro or Logic.

Thanks

A bounce is pretty much you exporting a final mixdown to disc. It can be stereo or surround, Mp3 or AIFF or whatever you want. It's very common to make several bounces at various points in the mixing process, so that you can listen to the mix develop on different systems- your car, your girlfriend's stereo, to get a full understanding of what your mix is.

A bounce is the mixed sum of all the tracks you have, audio and MIDI, as well as any sends and effects you have on all the tracks. It's the end result.

As far as vocals, it would be fine to work in either of the software you mention, in fact Soundtrack Pro is designed for voice over work in that it now will make all the takes be the same rough level. But you would want to do vocals in whatever program you have your backing audio in, which will more likely be Logic, since that's where your MIDI is, and also that's where you will be doing your in depth mixing.

I think you can see that while you can record your audio and such in Soundtrack Pro, and mix in Logic, and then import that mix into Soundtrack Pro for vocals, that's pretty cumbersome, and adds no benefit that I can see.

In short, use Logic, and good luck, L

Hi Awil,

Bouncing a track means that you convert the audio or midi into a new audio file. It can include the effects that are affecting its sound, all of them or the ones you decide to choose.

This is very useful when you are using a lot of FX or plugins and you want to save CPU power and RAM, therefore your session will go smoothly if you bounce your tracks. I will for instance recomend bouncing the amp and pedal designers, that way you can work the track with the main reverbs or delays that you are using for your session.

Hope this helps.

You can also use the Freeze feature for this purpose. It will make a mixed audio file of the track, which you can undo if desired.

You can bounce your whole song file to put on a CD or to make an MP3 version. If you bounce the tracks you will have each track separately instead of the entire mix in one audio file.