Can you install Logic 9.1 on a PPC G5? [SOLVED]

Everything also says that LogicPro 9 is "intel only", but it runs great on my G5 dual. So who knows, maybe 9.1 will too. I'm not gonna try it though, cuz I can't run 64 bit on my G5 anyway.

FYI, software update will not offer you the 9.1 update, and if you try to download it manually, it will not install. This is the end of the line for Logic on PPC.

Can't say I am surprised. I am not in the least bit bothered as I feel that with Logic 8 and the plugins I already have all the tools I could ever need (famous last words).

Call me a cynic though but I am also not surprised that Apple did it like this - accept the cash of PPCers for the upgrade and then making an update Intel only - easy way to sell more computers! And of course by saying support was never offered to non-intel machines for LP9 in the first place they have covered themselves legally.

it is disgraceful that apple sell you a machine for £2000 that in 5 years or so they stop supporting the reason that you bought the thing in the first place for..

No, it's not disgraceful, it's just progress. I bought my G5 new when I knew the Intel switch was coming. As a result, I got a mature machine that all apps supported and have had a happy and stable Mac life. Others waited and jumped on the new Intel batch and had to wait for many apps/plugs to catch up in order to work, then get debugged again. Some took quite a while.

(Kind of like where we are now with 64 bit!)

I was fully expecting Logic 9 to be Intel only. It was a bonus that it was released as UB.

it is disgraceful that apple sell you a machine for £2000 that in 5 years or so they stop supporting the reason that you bought the thing in the first place for..

if that was a car people would be screaming!!

You got a vintage mac....live with it. 8)

I would say what is disgraceful is apple selling a machine based on the promise that it would perform great once the software/OS caught up...and then dumping support before actually supporting those features.

There would be much less hard feelings if G5 owners had a decent version of the OS and Logic that fully used the hardware that they could stick with.

I would say what is disgraceful is apple selling a machine based on the promise that it would perform great once the software/OS caught up...and then dumping support before actually supporting those features.

There would be much less hard feelings if G5 owners had a decent version of the OS and Logic that fully used the hardware that they could stick with.

yup..

there are a lot of important features fixed in this update.. (esx24 sample edit for one) .So instead they throw in an ill prepared 64 bit option which there is 1 plug that works with it! ..it just makes no sense.. a bug fix and a working version of 9 might have been a better option.. I have a macbook 2.4ghz 64 bit just chugs on it ..rubbish.. great for the future perhaps but even then my tracks sounded great in 32bit.. pointless aggro..

as for the peanut sandwhich guy ..is that what they are doing to you in your photo?

there are a lot of important features fixed in this update.. (esx24 sample edit for one) .So instead they throw in an ill prepared 64 bit option which there is 1 plug that works with it! ..it just makes no sense.. a bug fix and a working version of 9 might have been a better option.. I have a macbook 2.4ghz 64 bit just chugs on it ..rubbish.. great for the future perhaps but even then my tracks sounded great in 32bit.. pointless aggro..

I wouldn't call it ill prepared, and it makes perfect sense to me, users have been begging for it for a long time. There are just certain features that probably use external shared libraries that haven't been updated to 64 bit yet (some from third parties), and I'm extremely glad they didn't hold up the release for things that not everyone uses.

There weren't many plugins before release simply because there was no platform to run them on therefore no point in releasing them. Within a day, eastwest and Spectrasonics have announced 64 bit support with more on the way I'm sure. Not to mention that memory handling is already better even with 32 bit plugins. And there are a number of bugfixes in 9.1, 64 bit is far from the only improvement.

I don't know what to say about your macbook, on a low end machine it may not be useful, but it makes a radical difference on machines with more ram and more CPU power. And 32/64 isn't going to make any difference in sound quality, it's only for making better use of the hardware.

Just to confirm please ...

Does this also include the last model "Late 2005" dual-core G5 with 64-bit data paths and registers,

Parallel data structure,

Dual-pipeline Velocity Engine for (SIMD) processing

???

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP37

Thank-you

Do any of the specs on that page say it runs an intel CPU? I don't see how much more clear "intel only" could be.

To check for yourself if any program will work with non-intel Macs...

All you have to do is find the main program file in under Applications... right click on the program name and select "show Info" and look at where is says 'Kind: Application' at the top of the info window that opens.

You will see, if you try this with Logic 9.02 or another app like iMovie... the magic word 'Universal' next to 'Kind: Application....' which means it will work on both Intel and PPC processors... but if you try it with Logic 9.1 you will see 'Intel' which means Intel processors only.

Example: Kind: Application(Universal) or Kind: Application(Intel)

Of course this won't stop people who don't know if they have an Intel Processor or not, from asking the same question repeatedly but you can only do so much to help....

A little off topic, but:

I honestly have never expected to have reliable compatibility on any given machine for more than 4-5 years... actually, it's generally shorter than that.

Past that, even if I have reliability, I don't generally expect to have competitive performance for more than 2-3 years.

It's the way computers go.

I'm quite sure that for one or the other of those reasons, my stupid expensive (4k+) current machine (that I've had for 1 year, 3 months) WILL be replaced within the next 3 years for a variety of reasons.

If the proc wars swing again, and Apple changes such that I get improved system performance, I'm personally all about it.

Frankly, I'm shocked at how long the KEPT power pc support on the table... nearly 3 years. In computer time, that's amazing. Just ask all the people who went from XP to Vista or Win 7 (did that too)... took 3 years and a gob of money just to get things right.

Ouch.

It's computers, and it will continue to be this way.

- zevo

the jump to intel was a major change...i have every faith that apple will stick with intel architecture and as such will probably allow for longer computer shelflife if you are an intel owner

i really don't believe they screwed anyone over....those with decent g5 machines still seem to be getting along fine but it is old technology that needed to be dropped at some point....logic 8 on tiger is still an extremely powerful prospect

i have just passed the 3 year mark with my intel mbp core 2 duo and the only reason i have to upgrade is to play xp games in bootcamp with nicer graphics.....

BIP and freezing takes care of any musical hitches i might have but really , logic 9 on this laptop is still incredible.....i think i could easily get another 3 years out of this computer and then some......i reckon the suport will continue for intel for many more years it just remains to see if my beaten up machine will last more travels

i won't upgrade until laptops start seeing quad-core technology