fcb1010, mainstage, needing to tap twice to toggle off/on

Adrienb

so I've managed to program my midi foot controller to work as a pedal board, but I've run into a problem.

Every time I hit a pedal after hitting a different one, it always takes two hits to activate. This is just no good.

What I think is happening is that value 0 is assigned to off and 127 is assigned on. But every time I move to another pedal and then back the starting value is reset. Rather than the fcb1010 remembering what message it was on, it just sends 0 the first time I hit it and 127 the second time, so if the effect is already off in logic, logic receives the 0 from the fcb1010 and remains off. I have to hit the pedal a second time to send 127 and turn the effect on.

grrrr this is frustratin' me

Edited by Adrienb

so I've managed to program my midi foot controller to work as a pedal board, but I've run into a problem.

Every time I hit a pedal after hitting a different one, it always takes two hits to activate. This is just no good.

What I think is happening is that value 0 is assigned to off and 127 is assigned on. But every time I move to another pedal and then back the starting value is reset. Rather than the fcb1010 remembering what message it was on, it just sends 0 the first time I hit it and 127 the second time, so if the effect is already off in logic, logic receives the 0 from the fcb1010 and remains off. I have to hit the pedal a second time to send 127 and turn the effect on.

grrrr this is frustratin' me

You will need to refer to the FCB manual for specifics.

http://www.nuloop.com/dj_equipement/Behringer/fcb1010_en.pdf

Here is some minor info for Main stage.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=48157&highlight=fcb1010

Mainstage can be set up differently in the Layout section so that a specific pedal can be an on/off function (althought the led will not reflect the current state).

Can you be more specific with what you are doing?

Strange, we're successfully using the FCB1010 for live shows with the same function working correctly. I found using http://www.wabbitwanch.com/iFCB.html gave me alot more control over the FCB1010. I don't have the FCB1010 around me right now, but when i get a chance I can tell you exactly what mine is mapped to. Hope this helps.

-Brian

LogicProChicago.com

MainStageTemplates.com

MBP 2.4, 4g Ram, MainStage 2.1, Logic 9.1, FCB1010 Axiom 61, MDP24, Firebox

Dude! You guys are awesome for replying so soon. Really, this makes me so happy hahahha

Thanks, shivermetimebers actually I have looked at that other post and it totally helped me program the pedal and I have tried reading the manual but I haven't found anything that would fix my problem (I have rough understanding of midi so the manual is a little like an alien language)

So I'm kinda new to midi. But in the Mainstage activity monitor it says (1 16 0)

the first time I hit it and (1 16 127) the second time I hit it.

I understand that 16 is the midi channel and the number proceeding that is the value. Mainstage turns the button on when the value is 127 and it turns the button off when it is 0. This is fine, except that when I move to another pedal and then hit the first pedal again, the default value that it sends is 0, which means "off" for Mainstage. This makes the button not turn on until I hit the pedal again and send the 127 value. I hope that makes sense.

So I'm kinda new to midi. But in the Mainstage activity monitor it says (1 16 0)

the first time I hit it and (1 16 127) the second time I hit it.

I understand that 16 is the midi channel and the ...

Actually 1 is the midi channel and 16 is the CC# value. The 3rd value is the '0' and the '127.'

From what I am reading, you want something like an effect pedal to activate and stay on when you press a FCB switch and then off when the switch is pressed again. You also want this effect pedal to turn on when you press the FCB switch.

It seems that you have that single switch programmed with CNT1 and CNT 2. CNT1 value may be '0' and CNT2 value is 127.

You will need to un-program the second CNT (2) value from the switch so that it will output only one value. Once that is done, the LAYOUT > TYPE value can be set to something like Alternating Value. The link provided by Backslash will allow you to do this painlessly. Otherwise, a long explanation will be needed.

Ok, so I did that. And now it works fine in Logic, but it won't toggle Mainstage buttons on and off. However Mainstage does receive midi, it says so in the activity monitor. I can't do anything with it though :(

Also Mainstage does nothing when I change the type to alternating value.

I think this is a Mainstage issue because it is fine in Logic. I don't have Mainstage 2 yet, so maybe this is fixed in that.

Ok, so I did that. And now it works fine in Logic, but it won't toggle Mainstage buttons on and off. However Mainstage does receive midi, it says so in the activity monitor. I can't do anything with it though :(

Also Mainstage does nothing when I change the type to alternating value.

I think this is a Mainstage issue because it is fine in Logic. I don't have Mainstage 2 yet, so maybe this is fixed in that.

I don't think the MS version should matter. What are you controlling in Logic and what are you controlling in MS?

It's fixed! There is a god!

ok, so what I did was change the type to alternating value and change the cc# value to a single value, like you said.

and the problem was fixed from the that point on, the misleading thing is that it still doesn't toggle in "layout" mode, so I didn't know it was fixed until I actually tried to toggle it in "edit' mode.

This is weird, because they way I had it set up before (when I had the problem) it did toggle in "layout" mode, it just didn't turn on and off the way I wanted it to.

Thanks for your help.

I didn't read the forum rules when I started this post, is there a way to change the post title now?

and the problem was fixed from the that point on, the misleading thing is that it still doesn't toggle in "layout" mode, so I didn't know it was fixed until I actually tried to toggle it in "edit' mode.

I didn't read the forum rules when I started this post, is there a way to change the post title now?

Glad you sorted it out.

I have accepted that Logic/Mainstage won't act the same way twice.

I think you click 'Edit' and make changes to your post.

• 10 months later...

Hey man,

I'm thinking of getting a Behringer FCB1010 to control my Mainstage 2 as well, but from various forum posts and stuff I'm getting the feeling that this MIDI controller is a little bit tricky to program it to work like an actual multieffects processor.

I, myself, am pretty much a noob when it comes to MIDI. So do you think you could list the step by step on how to get it to work nicely with mainstage? Right now, I haven't got the product yet but I'm looking to get it working as fast as possible.

Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bump? Ditto? Subscribe?

I just picked up an FCB1010 which included the UNO chip 102f (but not installed) Most of what I've googled is info for looping, patch changes and/or note on/off. Like the above post, all I want is alternating or single value controller msgs and #7 and #11 for the pedals.

1. Is there any benefit to the UNO chip for such a simple operation?

2. Do I even need to do anything to the FCB since most "objects" can be reassigned in Layout?

3. If yes to 2, are there ANY editors that work with Snow Leopard? I know that if the UNO is NOT installed, I could use iFCB. Ripwerx locks up on "Receiver time-out". In windows xp (Parallels 5), both Ripwerx and "fcb1010 pc editor" SEEM to work, but after transmitting sysex from either, the FCB hasn't stored the changes.

Thanks in advance!

Stewart

PS. Just installed 6 (yeah, 4 + 2!) gb RAM in my 2006 MacBook 2.2ghz and it definitely makes a difference in Mainstage. It may implode the universe tomorrow, but I've been going for a week now with no problems.

• 8 months later...

Hmm.. this is a complicated post.

HOWEVER: I have been thinking about getting the UNO chip, simply because

I want the LED lights on my FCB to match the toggle buttons on my Playback plugs...

However, iFCB is the way to go, and doing a tap dance on the FCB and programming by hand...er...foot, is a real pain in the umm ....@ss.

I hope one day iFCB software will be upgraded to accept the UNO chip, but until then, I have to suffer not knowing what Playback loops are playing according to what I see down on the floor.

And...YOU WILL have to program the FCB whether you want to or not.

Out of the box, you cannot simply hook it up to MS and then tell MS to respond to "whatever" the FCB is sending, because what the FCB sends out of the box is unlikely to be the kind of MIDI message you want.

TREATMENT