grouped, phased-locked drum editing not working

funkytransport

Hi there,

I have just recorded a song for a band where there are lots of takes of a full multi mic'd drum kit on 10 tracks.

I grouped them and turned on phased-locked editing and record and turned everything else off in the group settings.

When i try and comp a take from using the kick track as my "guide track" the other tracks within my drum group are not making the same changes within the take folder.

I have tried moving them on to another group and trying the same settings but i get the same problem.

When I try and use another track for my "guide track" all the other comps seem to be synced EXCEPT the kick, so it seems to be ok with all the other tracks apart from the kick drum channel.

anyone got any ideas?

thanks ,

iain

macbook pro unibody 2.66ghz/4gb

OS X 10.6.2 / logic 9.1.0

Motu 828 Mk2 Firewire

• 3 weeks later...
Hello Scotland! I recently had a similar problem where the tracks weren't following my selections. I only got it working when I cut the tracks once or twice with the 'cut by locator' command. Seemed to snap them back into working together when, like I'm sure in your case, the 'take' was quite long. Have you done this?

I've had funkiness as well with 2 or more tracks grouped together and will have to try the above workaround. Just a note on making the kick the Q track. After just recently done a ton of live drum fixing I can tell you that it's best to have both kick and snare be the Q, or quantize master. This is assuming you haven't put things in flex mode yet.

I'me experiencing the same frustration with a two track group representing two mic recordings of a bass. In all other ways they act in sync but quick swiping one does not effect the other (edit and phase locking are both selected).

Does anyone know a work around to this apparent bug?

m7

quick swiping one does not effect the other

I wonder if you have looked into this: "phase-locked editing requires that all tracks in the group have the same start position and be exactly the same length."

I have seen the symptom you describe in a situation where the takes failed to match. In other words, Take 1 for Mic 1 must have the same start position and length as Take 1 for Mic 2. And so on. This would be a good thing to check. If you don't understand how to do this, just ask.

Thanks 45rpm.

I think I've set it up correctly albeit after recording the two mic tracks. That is to say I didn't create the group until after recording. However, barring two passes with only one mic recording, all the rest of the takes on both tracks were set recording at the same time( ie both were rec/rdy).

When I set up the group, I didn't get that warning screen about take length causing a problem. When I do quickswip comping on one track I can see the 'swipe cursor' moving over the other track in sync but any new comp being selected in the first track is not being selected in the 2nd. In all other ways the tracks act like a group.

m7

I've had this problem too. Here are two possible fixes:

1. Select all the take folders and cut the beginnings and endings so they all are the same. This may solve the problem.

2. If that doesn't work, it's likely that there is a mismatch in the take folders. All the takes in each take folder have to match, in length and in order within the take folders. So the fix is to convert all the take folders to new tracks and carefully examine them to be sure they match up. You will likely find that (a) there is a stray take somewhere that doesn't have a match in the other take folders, or (b) the tracks for a take match but are of different lengths. Remove any unmatched takes and fix any unmatched lengths. (When you're checking the lengths, you might find it helpful to rearrange the tracks so that all the first takes are together, then all the second takes, etc.) When all the takes (now on separate tracks) match, then pack them back into take folders and re-group the folders. They should phase lock and quick swipe should work.

I didn't create the group until after recording.

That shouldn't matter.

However, barring two passes with only one mic recording, all the rest of the takes on both tracks were set recording at the same time( ie both were rec/rdy).

I think this is your problem right here. Mic #1 does not have the same number of takes as Mic #2. This would create the symptom you're experiencing.

You need to take (!) those two first takes for Mic #1 and deal with them separately.

When I set up the group, I didn't get that warning screen about take length causing a problem.

What warning screen?

When I do quickswip comping on one track I can see the 'swipe cursor' moving over the other track in sync but any new comp being selected in the first track is not being selected in the 2nd.

When you say "other track" you mean 'other take.' Right? Because the other take isn't really a separate "track." It just sort of looks like that, because it has its own lane.

when you say 'the same length' are you referring to the beginning of the takes or the beginning of the waveforms within the takes?

He's saying the same thing I said. Take #1 for Mic #1 has to have the same starting position and the same length as Take #1 for Mic #2. What we care about is the position and length of the region. We don't care about any waveforms displayed inside the region. But aside from that, we also need to have the same number of takes for each mic. I think that's where your problem is.

there is a stray take somewhere that doesn't have a match in the other take folders

Bingo. I think that's what he said: "two passes with only one mic recording."

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Did anyone find another fix for this? I'm having the same issue with 7-track group, each with 13 takes and none are different lengths/contain more takes than the others. I noticed however that I can for some reason 'extend the track' for hours and hours, can't figure out why as I never recorded more than the 5mins from the song. ... tracks can be dragged out infinitely... does this have to do with why i cannot properly phase-lock my edits? have already tried all above advice :(

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...