How do I use VST instruments and plug-ins in Logic?

Hi there,

I have been using VST instruments and plug-ins with Cubase that I would like to set up in Logic.Could anyone let me know the simplest (and free if possible) method to do this? I did look online and found that one can download an audio unit wrapper called FXpansion? Not sure how to go about it though...

Many thanks for your time.

Maria

cool ok..

well firstly the instruments...

im using:

Antaria Mini moog V 1.5

AAS String Studio Vs 1

Lounge Lizard EP3

Native Instruments Absynth 3 and NI Guitar Rig

and the plug- ins I'd really like to use are:

Antares Kantos

Voxvengo Voxformer

Nomad factory Blue tubes bundle

Some stuff from the Cycling 74 package

some other stuff too - bits from kjaerhus Audio - spectra and that and some Waves stuff...

hope this helps!

thanks again for your speedy reply Fader8!!

well firstly the instruments...

im using:

Antaria Mini moog V 1.5

AAS String Studio Vs 1

Lounge Lizard EP3

Native Instruments Absynth 3 and NI Guitar Rig

You're good with those. AU versions are available, in some cases included on your install disk.

and the plug- ins I'd really like to use are:

Antares Kantos

That one's tough. It's not AU, just VST and Pro Tools RTAS. That's an interesting plug-in. I think I know someone that used it in OS9 as a VST. I'll shoot him a message and see if he's got it running in OSX at all.

Voxvengo Voxformer

Nomad factory Blue tubes bundle

Some stuff from the Cycling 74 package

Those are all available as AU's.

some other stuff too - bits from kjaerhus Audio - spectra and that and some Waves stuff...

Spectra might be hard to find a replacement for. Not a lot of additive synthesis plugs out there that work quite like that one.

Waves might make you pay something for the crossgrade. But that's Waves. You might find the Logic equivalents to be as good or better anyway.

thanks fader8 for looking into this for me...!really sorry to ask now the next question...(a little new to this!) but you say most of these are available as AU's. Does that mean versions of them would already be available and installed to use on my version of locic 8, bearing in mind that I pretty much installed everything to begin with?

I suppose what I'm asking in simple terms is, what do I do next?! Are the AU versions of guitar rig, absyth, string studio etc named differently and if so do I need to buy the software seperately again and install?

And if you find out about the Kantos that would be great...

Many thanks again

:)

thanks fader8 for looking into this for me...!really sorry to ask now the next question...(a little new to this!) but you say most of these are available as AU's. Does that mean versions of them would already be available and installed to use on my version of locic 8, bearing in mind that I pretty much installed everything to begin with?

It's entirely possible. Most plug-in installers go ahead and install all versions unless you do a custom install. Check your Mac HD/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components folder. Whatever is listed there will be available in Logic.

Or, from the Logic Pro menu->Preferences->Audio Units Manager, you can also see what's installed and if everything passed AU validation.

If you see something missing, run its installer again, choose custom install, and make sure the box is checked next to Audio Units.

Are the AU versions of guitar rig, absyth, string studio etc named differently and if so do I need to buy the software seperately again and install?

With most of the effect/synth licensing, when you by the license to use the software, you buy it to use in any form. So, most of the time, the install disc has both VST and AU on it (for instance). If for some reason, a company has an AU version but you only have the VST version, I would contact that company via support to get the AU version.

As an FYI, all the VST/AU/RTAS stuff is not but interfaces. The interface is how the host application "talks to" the plug-in. So, the "guts" of the plug-in are the same regardless of the version, it is really just the thin layer that communicates with the host that differs.

So, generally, it is not much more effort for a company to offer both VST and AU versions and there is not that much differetn. This is also what makes AU to VST wrappers viable, and in all but the most complex cases work fairly well.

It's entirely possible. Most plug-in installers go ahead and install all versions unless you do a custom install. Check your Mac HD/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components folder. Whatever is listed there will be available in Logic.

hi fader8, ive checked whats listed and most of the ES sythns, EFM1, EVB 3, EVD6, Sculpture etc are installed. Sorry to ask but only learning the workings of these synths. Are any of these close to Absynth or AAS String studio?

Ive discovered the original discs for Absythn and String Studio etc are back in Bristol unfortunately ...at present they are loaded up with my Cubase. I can get copies of these as VST. Just trying to find a way to get some of the sounds I previously used with String Studio and Absynth.

Thank you again - any joy with an AU similarity to Antares Kantos?

hi fader8, ive checked whats listed and most of the ES sythns, EFM1, EVB 3, EVD6, Sculpture etc are installed. Sorry to ask but only learning the workings of these synths. Are any of these close to Absynth or AAS String studio?

Absynth is granular synthesis with some very powerful envelopes. There is nothing like that in the bundled Logic synths.

AAS is a physical modeling synth. This is what Sculpture is. However, AAS is all focused around modeling the components of string instruments only, sculpture's breadth is greater, so may not have quite the level of fine grain control you are looking for. But sculpture is a ver deep synth.

There is an entire section in the Logic Pro manuals deditacted to the bundled virtual instruments, you should start there to understand what each of them is.

- any joy with an AU similarity to Antares Kantos?

Not in the software plug-in domain, although there are a few Reaktor ensembles that come kind of close. No one, as far as I can tell, is making an "audio triggered" synth anymore. However, you might find that the sidechain capabilities of Sculpture and ES2 could provide some of these types of functions. You'll just have to experiment.

As Person99 points out, if you're primarily using the wavetable or granular synth capabilities of Absynth, then you won't find a Logic equivalent. But you'll get pretty far with Sculpture as a replacement for String Studio. Sculpture is much more capable.

Note that if you can find anyone with an Absynth install disk, you can install it as the authorization is the same as for your VST version.