howto divide long live recordings into separate projectfiles

tombee

Sorry for this Newbie question, but after searching and reading the net & Logic pro training series I still can't figure out the following:

- I've done a live recording session (about 1,5 hours) for a band

- Now I want to split up the individual songs in the huge project file to seperate project files

- What is the best approach (meaning not to have to copy tons of audio files to new folders)

- E.g. Can I 'copy' a selection of tracks (including inserts settings etc.) from the main project to a new project thus leaving the main project in tact.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

- Create a rough mix, a functional balance which will apply to all songs, in the main project

- Select all Regions and place cuts separating the songs

- Save the recording project

- Remove all but the first song from the arrangement

- Save as... Mix Song 1 without assets, into the project folder

- Undo

- Remove all but the second song

- Save as... Mix Song 2 without assets, into the project folder

- Repeat from Undo til finished

Christian

• 9 months later...

Is there a better way to do this? I have 6 sets of live band material material to go through and I don't want to have to constantly set up mix parameters.

I did copy a few songs to a mix template I created, using the marquee tool and a simple copy/paste. This worked fine. Then, on the fourth song, when I pasted it into the template, it copied. However, playback pitch and tempo were slow. I tried creating a new template AND a new project, but the paste results were the same. What am I missing???

My background: early ProTools and Cubase user. I did my last project (with Cubase 2.2) about five years ago. I am using Logic 8, for the first time. Tracking and Mixing is pretty straight forward. I have a bit of a learning curve, as to project management..... LOL

Any help is greatly appreciated

Variation on the recipe:

- Create a rough mix, a functional balance which will apply to all songs, in the main project

- Select all Regions and place cuts separating the songs

- Save the *recording project*

- Save as... Mix Song 1 without assets, into the project folder

- Remove all but the first song from the arrangement

- Save, Close, Open original *recording project*

- Save as... Mix Song 2 without assets, into the project folder

- Remove all but the second song

- Repeat from Open original *recording project* til finished

May be marginally faster, but is in essence the same method.

• 3 years later...

I tried this but found that after splitting up the tracks and deleting the audio regions I didn't want, the deletion only seemed to affect the track display, and the audio files remained unchanged. So when trying to chop up a live performance into separate files, one for each song, the problem was that each Logic file was huge, with all the audio in it.

The solution I found was this:

1. Copy the original logic file in finder and give it a new name.

2. Open the new file and create splits at the start and end of the audio section (the song) you want to keep. For this I used Edit>Split>Regions at Playhead (cmdT)

3. Now delete the audio segments prior to your song, and the audio segments after.

4. Then open the Project Audio window (cmd8). The audio you have deleted from the track display area isn't deleted from the project yet - and you can see all the files in this window. Delete the unused files by selecting "Edit>Select Unused" to highlight the files that are no longer in use, and then press the delete key to delete them.

5. You're then left with just the files relating to the song you're keeping. BUT even though you've deleted the sections of audio before and after the song, Logic hasn't deleted this audio from the audio files, which will still be really big. So press cmdA to select all the audio files and then select "Audio File>Optimise files" (still in the Project Audio window here). A dialogue comes up and you press the Remove button. This now edits down the audio files and you're left with a much smaller project file containing only the song you want.

6. Oh - I think I also use

d the "File>Project Management>Clean up" function from the main menu. Think this took the file size down further.

Repeat this for each song. The copying process can take a little while but in terms of actual labour time, this is pretty quick.