Removing background music from movie dialogue

Davomann

Hey all.

I want to import a sound clip from the movie Love Actually into a Logic project to use the dialogue (speaking) over the top of an instrumental section in a song of mine. The trouble is, there's background music behind the dialogue which is interfering with the music already in my project. Does anyone know of a way to get rid of the background music and leave only dialogue?

Hey all.

I want to import a sound clip from the movie Love Actually into a Logic project to use the dialogue (speaking) over the top of an instrumental section in a song of mine. The trouble is, there's background music behind the dialogue which is interfering with the music already in my project. Does anyone know of a way to get rid of the background music and leave only dialogue?

1) Not really.

2) You do realize that you need to clear the samples as you don't have the rights to use the dialog in your song, right?

1) Not really.

2) You do realize that you need to clear the samples as you don't have the rights to use the dialog in your song, right?

Unless it's going to be released, who'll ever know/care?

I do not know what his aspirations are and I've been amazed at all the people that don't understand this, so just trying to point it out for him. :)

But people who don't understand shouldn't worry about the cyber-police trawling their hard-drive for old kung-fu movie samples.

Those are my favorite samples!!!!

"Huh, you can't beat me, you're Kung Fu is not good enough!"

"Hmmm, Kung Fu takes strength, and you are just a girl!"

1) Not really.

Unless it's going to be released, who'll ever know/care?

But why anyone would want to repeat a single line of that disgusting, puke-inducing insult of a film is beyond me.

Hey, I never said I liked the movie (I only saw it once). I just liked the sound of the quotes when that woman speaks to her husband about the necklace he bought for someone else ("What would you do if you were in my position") and along with a couple of other quotes (from Gone With The Wind, South Park, and Spongebob Squarepants) it fits nicely into the theme of the song

And as for the legal mumbo-jumbo - who cares. If it's going to be an issue if I release the song on iTunes or whatever, then I can easily mute the dialogue tracks before bouncing. They're not essential, but I do like them

just a thought...

if you like dialog in your music, why not re-do it? get 2 people to read those lines, or better yet, something like it but ORIGINAL, then...nothing to license, and you can keep the dialog in the final mix.

i've done this several times, and, eq'd & placed right, sounds great. and i OWN it!

just a thought...

if you like dialog in your music, why not re-do it? get 2 people to read those lines, or better yet, something like it but ORIGINAL, then...nothing to license, and you can keep the dialog in the final mix.

i've done this several times, and, eq'd & placed right, sounds great. and i OWN it!

This works well for "general" lines like the OP wants and I think is a great idea for OP. Another option if you want some of the artifacts and such is various loop vendors offer movie dialog sets--you could look at those.

For some stuff where you need to capture a time, place, or event connected to the sample, it just doesn't work, you need the original. The way out west and crystal method songs using Borman's transmission would not be good re-read.

Hey, I never said I liked the movie (I only saw it once).

Phew! That's a relief. Has anyone seen it more than once? How could they?

I've never seen it, Notting Hill put the nail in the coffin for me. Only good thing about that film was the local residents turning up to all the outside location shoots to throw eggs at the cast. One of the few things that makes me proud to be British... That and the welcome London gave to David Blaine when he sat in that box for awhile :lol:

And all funky-beats should have kung-fu samples accompanying them.