Graphics While Tracking. Am I the only one?

Foghat43

I'm still rather new to Logic but I have read over every post in this forum that relates to graphic problems and still can't find a solution. Even stranger is the fact that nobody else seems to be having this problem. While tracking the waves in the arrange window sometimes disappear and are almost always glitchy, or have little detail until the tracking stops. Sometimes clients will ask me if I forgot to record enable because it looks like nothing is being tracked and I'll have to say " No, its recording. It's just a graphics glitch" I know it is not a HUGE deal and you can work around it but I do like to see what is happening in real time and I don't think this is asking too much. So is anyone out there having this problem? My system is plenty fast and I can't figure it out. I thought maybe it was an Intel thing or my OSX version but everybody else seems to be fine. HELP? thanks.

Which iMac do you have? 21.5"? 27"? The 21.5" has an integrated graphics card, which is far from being the fastest. Logic will do what it can with the graphics card you have. If you upgrade the card you may see faster redraw.

Also to see better definition you may want to zoom out a bit.

If you really need to see what's going on and the live waveform drawing isn't helping you can also use the meter on the channel strip. Or if your clients ask why they can't see the waveform tell them Logic prioritizes recording during recording (over graphic drawing), and they'll see the waveform after the recording is over, and direct them to the meters on the channel strip.

PS: Here on this machine live graphic waveform drawing works pretty well. And I never feel the need to look at the waveform being drawn as I record so I don't really care to be honest.

I sometimes have the same problem. No fun at all, especially when recording a 2 hour show and no waveforms are appearing!

MacBook Pro 2.33, 4 GB RAM

OSX 10.6.3

Logic Pro 9.1.1

I'm still rather new to Logic but I have read over every post in this forum that relates to graphic problems and still can't find a solution. Even stranger is the fact that nobody else seems to be having this problem. While tracking the waves in the arrange window sometimes disappear and are almost always glitchy, or have little detail until the tracking stops. Sometimes clients will ask me if I forgot to record enable because it looks like nothing is being tracked and I'll have to say " No, its recording. It's just a graphics glitch" I know it is not a HUGE deal and you can work around it but I do like to see what is happening in real time and I don't think this is asking too much. So is anyone out there having this problem? My system is plenty fast and I can't figure it out. I thought maybe it was an Intel thing or my OSX version but everybody else seems to be fine. HELP? thanks.
Logic Pro > Preferences > Logic Pro > Preferences >

David, thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I guess I have the iMac with the slower graphics card. I was not aware of that. Maybe I will try an upgrade. Its not the "scroll in play" I don't even bother with that when tracking cause then it gets really gnarly! I realize it is not the end of the world and it is a good thing that Logic puts recording audio higher on the priority list. It's just annoying and you know how people are about Pro Tools vs EVERYTHING. They see one glitch and think you are running a half assed studio. I switched to Logic when ( came out because of all the amazing new features and I am trying my damndest to fall in love with it. These little bugs are the only things in my way. Thanks again. You guys are extremely helpful!

I have the iMac with the slower graphics card

I don't know if this will solve the problem, but it might be a worthwhile experiment. Try a lower screen resolution. Your machine has a default resolution of 1920 by 1080 pixels. In System Preferences > Displays you can pick some lower numbers. And in there you can check "Show displays in menu bar." This will make it easier to try different resolutions.

It's possible that the drawing behavior while recording might be better if your machine is not trying to move so many pixels around. If this is true, you can use screensets to create a special window arrangement that works well for the special resolution setting you use for recording. You even might discover that while you're recording you like having everything enlarged so you can see it more easily as you move around the studio.

You could also try different settings for horizontal and vertical zoom. I think this might also have an effect on the drawing behavior.

Just a couple of ideas.

Hi, no you're not the only one.

I have Logic9 installed on a 2008 Macbook Pro, a 2009 iMac & a 2010 iMac, & they all suffer disappearing graphics if you zoom in & out whilst recording.

It doesn't affect the recording, but it does give you a scare, & looks highly unprofessional in front of clients. Def. a big bug

Hi, no you're not the only one.

I have Logic9 installed on a 2008 Macbook Pro, a 2009 iMac & a 2010 iMac, & they all suffer disappearing graphics if you zoom in & out whilst recording.

It doesn't affect the recording, but it does give you a scare, & looks highly unprofessional in front of clients. Def. a big bug

Hmmm. 3 macs and they all have this problem? What's the deal?