LP 911 hangs on startup "Searching for Audio Unit plug-

karljam

I recently updated from 9.0.0 to 9.1.1 via Software Update, and after having to do a bit of updating for my M-Audio FireWire 410, started experiencing a hung startup at the following stage:

Searching for Audio Unit plug-ins (Apple: AUSpeechSynthesis)...

I can still quit normally from this point. It may also be worth mentioning that Initializing Loop Browser..., which precedes the AU stage of startup, also takes longer than normal - up to 2 minutes. I can still start up Logic 9.0 with no problems. However, I'd really like to get 9.1.1 working sometime soon, as I suspect some other instabilities/crashes I'm experiencing might lighten.

Here are the things I've tried, which all resulted in the same hung startup:

• • Repairing permissions
    • Trashing com.apple.logic.pro.cs, com.apple.logic.pro.plist, and com.apple.logic.pro.LSSharedFileList.plist
    • Trashing ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.audiounits.cache - no difference in LP 9.1.1, but LP 9.0.0 rescans all AU plug-ins as expected, and shows no crashes except for Native Instruments B4 II, the likes of which would cause me great concern if it one day actually stopped crashing
    • Temporarily moving all 3rd-party AU components
    • Temporarily moving the system AU plug-in in question, /System/Library/AUSpeechSynthesis.component - this results in Logic hanging at the next system AU plug-in, AUNetReceive, which I can't find anywhere on my computer
    • Starting up with control-shift held down
    • Starting up with control held down - this actually allows Logic to start just fine, albeit with core audio disabled. I am able to open old files and start new ones. However, re-enabling core audio from preferences results in the following message: Error code 28773 was returned by the Audio driver. If I choose as my Input and Output device the FireWire 410, however, Logic freezes to the point where I have to force-quit.
    • Having accomplished an audio-less startup, I make sure Logic starts up with no file auto-loaded. However, it still hangs, so I at least know it isn't a corrupted project.

What else can I try? I've seen this issue posted around the forum and can't conclude anything other than "never upgrade until after .2"...[/i]

Nope, I ran M-Audio's uninstaller, rebooted, ran M-Audio's installer, rebooted, started up LP 9.1.1, same hang. Any other thoughts?

An interesting M-Audio error occurred, though. I had to reboot once before I could actually uninstall M-Audio, because the uninstaller gave me some kind of error message the first time - couldn't uninstall, more or less. On reboot, OS X reported that the M-Audio FireWire Helper login item had incorrect securities and couldn't be loaded. But after a proper uninstall/reboot/install/reboot, no such errors occurred again.

At this point I guess I should come clean about the unique way in which I updated (read: botched) my M-Audio FireWire 410 driver, as it may be relevant. If this turns out to be an M-Audio problem, then this is in the wrong forum... well, I guess we'll see in the end.

Without getting into the why, I'll just say that I first manually deleted the M-Audio Firewire Panel app, then did the uninstaller/reboot/installer/reboot jig. No new panel got installed - so I opened up the M-Audio Update package with Pacifist, and individually installed the Panel sub-package (to its default location):

• M-Audio Firewire Panel.pkg

That seemed to go well enough, so I figured, why not go down the list of sub-packages and do the same?

• M-Audio Firewire Kernel Extension.pkg
    M-Audio Firewire PrefsPane.pkg
    M-Audio FW MIDI.pkg
    M-Audio FW Audio Helper.pkg
    M-Audio FireWire launchd.pkg
    M-Audio Firewire Artwork.pkg

At the end, I got a shiny new panel, same version as the old one (doh) and rebooted (I guess it was a driver update only). That's when I tried opening Logic 9.1.1 and got the hang (before it had just poked me to update my MIDI driver). I tried a permissions repair and all that I mentioned in the first post, no cigar.

But now that I have run the uninstaller, rebooted, and re-updated/reboted the proper way, again, all should be peachy keen, right?

Or should I try a manual uninstall, hunting down each separate Pacifist-planted package mentioned above, and then run the uninstaller/installer dealie again?

Done and done. No more M-Audio. Same hang.

Another interesting fact - when rebooting after an M-Audio uninstall or reinstall, all windows close and I see only my background, but the computer does not restart. If I hit the power button I'm given options to shut down / restart / sleep, but clicking on any of them does nothing. I've always had to hard-reboot.

Also: After this latest uninstall, I found two more M-Audio files on my hard drive. I've moved them to the trash and am going to reboot again:

com.m-audio.firewire.app.firmwarestatus.plist

aakaaa_M-Audio FireWire.ddb

443554580_Screenshot2010-05-11at17_45_02.png.1e605e1c3b56fbbe5c0ced05bdcd1f38.png

Here's the place where it hangs

this results in Logic hanging at the next system AU plug-in, AUNetReceive, which I can't find anywhere on my computer

I believe that item is hiding inside this item:

Macintosh HD/System/Library/Components/CoreAudio.component

I think that file might be damaged. You could try replacing it with a copy you grab from somewhere. Since you know how to use Pacifist, you could probably find it on your System install disk.

Alternately, you could install a fresh OS on top of your current OS. This is usually a pretty painless procedure, these days. But I don't know if the damaged file will get re-written.

Here's something else I would try: a new OS X user account.

Initializing Loop Browser..., which precedes the AU stage of startup, also takes longer than normal - up to 2 minutes

Is that still happening? It seems quite wrong.

I think that file might be damaged. You could try replacing it with a copy you grab from somewhere. Since you know how to use Pacifist, you could probably find it on your System install disk.

Hmm, I'll look around, but my install DVD is in another country at the moment. Do you think a manual os update might contain this file?

Here's something else I would try: a new OS X user account.

Done. An interesting thing happened: It defaulted to 32-bit mode and started up with no problems. Why it would choose 32-bit, I don't know. Same success on my own user account. What do I miss out on if I use 32-bit Logic?

Initializing Loop Browser..., which precedes the AU stage of startup, also takes longer than normal - up to 2 minutes

Is that still happening? It seems quite wrong.

Yes, though it occurs only in the 64-bit startup.

I would call this issue solved at this point, or at least workable, if I just use 32-bit Logic 9.1.1. For the benefit of others, here are the answers I found to my own questions:

What do I miss out on if I use 32-bit Logic?

I did a little research, and according to Appie, I don't miss out on anything by using 32-bit mode, for the reason that I have a MBP with 4GB RAM. 64 allows computers with more to use more. In fact, 32-bit mode is advantageous for EXS24, if I understand correctly, because it allows for the use of virtual memory, which 64-bit does not.

Do you think a manual os update might contain this file?

Update 10.6.3 does, and it doesn't fix the startup hang in 64-bit mode.

it doesn't fix the startup hang in 64-bit mode.

I'm not clear on the circumstances. Are you saying you get the startup hang in 64-bit mode even when using a new user account? That really shouldn't happen. On the other hand, I realize you don't need 64-bit mode, so maybe it doesn't matter. But it strikes me as a sign of underlying trouble somewhere, so I would be watching carefully for other symptoms.

it doesn't fix the startup hang in 64-bit mode.

I'm not clear on the circumstances. Are you saying you get the startup hang in 64-bit mode even when using a new user account? That really shouldn't happen. On the other hand, I realize you don't need 64-bit mode, so maybe it doesn't matter. But it strikes me as a sign of underlying trouble somewhere, so I would be watching carefully for other symptoms.

OK, thanks for clarifying. Needless to say, that shouldn't be. But since you're not using 64 bit mode, maybe you should just ignore it.

If you wanted to troubleshoot this issue, I think the next step would be to create a fresh OS installation on an external drive, and boot from that to see what happens. Eventually you might need to do something like this, in order to find out what's wrong, because there's definitely something wrong. But maybe there's no need to do that right now. The problem might eventually cure itself, as you upgrade various pieces that might be contributing to the problem. So I think it's one of those situations where it's reasonable to go either way.

• 2 weeks later...

Im having similar problem.

Logic 9.0.2 doesn't load further this screen (Freezing on AURogerBeep)

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt235/djelveno/Screenshot2010-05-30at52053PM.png

Logic would open if I disable CoreAudio by pressing & holding CTRL key. After enabling core audio from Logic preferences, This is what I see

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt235/djelveno/Screenshot2010-05-30at73327PM.png

And few minutes later, this one..

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt235/djelveno/Screenshot2010-05-30at90142PM.png

Im not using any DigiDesign hardware or any external soundcards or rewirable programs other than Ableton Live 8 at the moment.

Im using Snow Leopard 10.6.3 with 2GB RAM 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo Intel Processor, which is pretty much the required tech specifications without having any external stuff connected..

This is very annoying & Im on a deadline, Can anyone help me on this??? :(

• 1 year later...

Hi ... I bring that thread back up, as I almost get insane with the very same problem, meanwhile with Logic Pro 9.1.5 and Macos 10.7.2.

I have a song in 64 bit mode that hangs during launch, showing "searching....Channel EQ" but when I simply start the Logic application it says "searching....AUnetreceive", and I have to force quit. I had some success trashing all kinds of cashes and running Onyx, but the trouble keeps returning every day. And there's no easy quick fix (still I don't really know what exactly cures it, it seems to be a combination of things)

32 bit mode does the job but is no solution as I have much memory addressed.

repairing permissions seems to fix a lot of stuff which is AU / core audio related. But doesn't fix the problem.

so has anyone struggled through this and can tell me what to do? thanks Uli

Help, I'm having the same problem.

Logic 64 bit Lion is hanging on launch. Sometimes it crashes loading AUNetReceive, other times when I try to open a project it crashes loading the Surround Balancer. I keep having to reboot.

Edit: I seem to launch ok running logic 32 bit. Using that for now.

it's crazy in a way, as it had been working for some weeks before.

Did you install or change anything in your setup during that time?

yeah good question... nothing that I haven't reversed, I'm quite sure. BTW today I have a strong suspicion that the Vienna Instrument is the evildoer. I was able to reproduce like several successful boot ups with all plugins but the vienna in the components folder - and when I enabled the VI, that good old crash appeared again.

best

u

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys,

Found a way to fix this issue. All you need to do is to download the 9.1.6 update dmg and reinstall. This worked for me and there are no more issues. If you are using DigiDesign Midi drivers however I would recommend deleting them before the reinstallation.

Dane_Ja

Twitter.com/Dane_Ja

• 5 months later...

I am having exactly the same problem. Ive been trying to move onto 64bit as my memory requirements are getting larger

Im running one computer with VEpro5 and vienna instruments.

Ive tried trashing the audio units cache file, rescanning all plugins, and i tried re-upgrading to 9.1.7, which fixed it once

Its very frustrating. ive spent 2 days trying to sort it out, and getting nowhere....

Opening in 32 bit mode is fine. There seems to be a lot of posts around this issue.

Anyone got any further on this?

• 2 months later...
ok... i was trying to organize my application folder by moving applications into different folders. By doing that i reproduced this issue. Logic 9.1.7 in 64 bit hangs while searching AU Plugin Apple NetSomething but logic 9.1.2 opens alright in 32 bit mode. I put the logic 9.1.7 application icon back to its original place and guess what .... yes you are right.... cheers.