trouble punching in midi while recording audio

MarkLambert

I work with a artist who likes to record a vocal and midi piano at the same time when writing songs. It works fine until I try to punch in on an existing pass. What happens then is, the audio punches in as expected but the midi continues to play back the old track as well as the new midi performance. What do I need to do to make the midi function properly?

I am always in replace mode.

For me, It's not random, this happens every single time on both my Mac Pro/symphony system as well as My mac book pro set to internal.

If I'm recording audio it works fine even 24 tracks at a time.

If I'm just recording midi, it mostly works as expected, except in the case of recording Layered midi instruments. When doing layered recordings the same problem occurs at punch in. The resulting alias tracks play back instead of being replaced.

when you get time, Please do a simple experiment and see If you can get Logic to do either of these functions correctly on your system. I would be very interested to know how to get mine to perform correctly. It's been a problem for me since somewhere back as far as 8.?.

Arm an audio track and arm a midi track> Record any audio (it can be silent) and a midi performance that includes noted and sounds for about 30 sec or so>now punch in (both the audio and midi) and see if the midi behaves correctly.

as always, David

Thanks for your help

Thanks for checking it out!

It always amazes me how unique everyones requirements are within the same application. Apparently very few users are recording midi and audio at the same time or I would not be one of the few vexed by this buggy behavior.

In my situation this problem shows up all the time. Not only in the situation described above, but when tracking live rhythm sections It becomes nearly impossible to record any virtual instruments like keys, or midi drum triggers with out seriously bogging down the flow of the session.

anyway, If anyone can help pass this one along to Apple it would be great.