Sounds silly, but… which Jam Packs are installed?

marksealey

Watching a Logic Pro 9 screencast today, I noticed that the order of software instruments in the presenter's Library was very different from mine - in respect, it seemed, of which Jam Packs were loaded. His actually listed 'Jam Pack 1', 'Jam Pack 2', 'Jam Pack 3' etc at the bottom of his list.

Although I did a complete install from the Pro/Studio DVDs (albeit an upgrade from Express), I don't have 'Symphonic Jam Pack' (or anything like it)… the one I'm most interested in.

Instead I have '01 Logic Instruments', '02 Acoustic Pianos', '03 Bass' etc down to '10 Orchestral', which leads to what I've always assumed was the Apple Symphony Jam Pack. After '14 Surround', I have what appears to be a duplicate GarageBand pair: 'Shared GarageBand Sett…', 'GarageBand' and only then two actual Jam Pack directories: 'Jam Pack Voices' and 'Jam Pack World Music'.

Does that seem right?

Does/do any of these correspond to the Apple Symphony Jam pack?

How can I confirm that I have all my software instruments installed correctly: do they correspond to a directory structure in the Finder?

Can I tidy them, remove the duplicates, make more sense of the names?

Thanks!

library.gif.89901c86182f8ef5bcd608e1b47eda99.gif

Scott,

> It looks like your "Shared GarageBand Sett..." folder contains the instruments from "Jam Pack Symphony Orchestra".

Which would make sense - since they are, literally, in theory, resources which both GarageBand and Logic can share!

But I confess, it's a mess to have these duplicates and unclearly named top level directories.

Is it safe to move them around in the Finder until they're named and categorised as I want? Then do a Refresh Library etc?

I think not?

Is it safe to move them around in the Finder until they're named and categorised as I want? Then do a Refresh Library etc?

I think not?

I wouldn't.

How long ago did you install the upgrade?

Have you restarted your computer since the upgrade?

You might try Re-Indexing Spotlight to see if Logic will see those files differently.

Scott,

I bought Express in September (2010) and upgraded to Studio/Pro about three weeks later :-)

I suspect I shouldn't start moving things. If I can just check that the samples are there (identifying a sample's name that I know for sure ought to be there), I'd be content. Thanks!

I see pretty much what iBen79 sees in his post, thanks.

That's kind of reassuring.

But what would clinch it for me is to see an actual named orchestral instrument which I know should have been installed if all went well.

I can certainly work with the fact that instruments from those particular Jam Pack get distributed across/throughout the Library. Nice to know for sure, though.

I called Apple and spoke to a very helpful agent, Andrew, who went some way towards setting my mind at rest:

If you can see the Jam Packs in Loops > View all, they're installed. Whatever shows up there is there. This page has some good tips.

Certainly the Logic installer seems to put things where it 'wants'. Recommendation: (re)read and thoroughly understand the 'Logic Studio Installing Your Software' booklet.

In my case, I still can't solve the apparent duplication of two GarageBand instrument (not loop) libraries, 'Shared GarageBand sett…' and 'GarageBand'. There are some instruments unique to one or the other and some duplicated. I suspect they may be leftovers from earlier iLife/GarageBand installations. I'd like to tidy them. But that seems tricky.

I'd like to tidy them. But that seems tricky.

I'm afraid the only way for you to "tidy them" would be to back up all of your data. Wipe the system hard drive. Do a clean install of everything. Do not install Logic Express, just install the upgrade but you will need your LE serial number during the installation.

I have a feeling that upgrading from Express is causing this issue which is why I asked mathivi if he also upgraded from Express.

It's up to you, but that's what I would do.

I had to do a complete clean install to eliminate duplicate instruments and instrument folders after attempting a migration using Migration Assistant (I don't recommend MA). After the clean install, everything was normal and trouble free.

I wiped my Mac clean didn't bother with express and mine was exactly the same i might try it again sometime although i had a rough time installing studio took me 3 times before i had everything because it kept stalling and not asking for the right discs.

Thanks very much iBen and Scott; I know you're right.

I intend to do a clean install soon anyway (either new Mac Pro, if announced this year) or will have to b/c my boot volume is running out of space. So shall do it then :-)

But… but… … if I don't install GarageBand at that point and go straight to Studio, will I still need my Express serial number, you're saying? I have it. My upgrade was 100% legitimate. But it was Express --> Studio.

Your help appreciated :-)

Thanks very much iBen and Scott

You're welcome!

But… but… … if I don't install GarageBand at that point and go straight to Studio, will I still need my Express serial number, you're saying? I have it. My upgrade was 100% legitimate. But it was Express --> Studio.

Yes. Unless you buy a FULL license you will always need your Express serial number since your Upgrade license is based on it.

• 3 months later...
If I'm understanding this thread, the only way to tidy them up is to format the drive and start over? My MBP has them nice and tidy but I installed everything my self when I bought the computer and skipped Express. However, I used Migration Assistant on my new iMac and my instruments are there but not neatly organized. Is it possible to uninstall Logic and all the Jam Packs and then reinstall Logic rather being so dramatic and wiping the drive?

• 1 year later...
ok, its all here i think, just under the shared garage band. i kind of prefer it the way it was but oh well, i guess i was just uded to it .i do have 1 ?. when i did the reinstall on my new mbp. i did not not install sound track pro. will i be missing any addtional content. i remember that when i did the install 1 of the jam packs or audio content cd said it did not install.