Plugins for House and Techno

Hi

Can anyone suggest great plugins for House and Techno music including especially artistic filters, delays, dynamic and mastering plugins with, preferably, some presets. I found that Reason has a lot of such as built in for this kind of music but I'm not willing to switching to it from Logic or use Reason in anyway.

Hmm, well I'm sure you'll be expecting us to say that you can do most of what you want with Logic plugins.... and that is what I'm going to say!

For cool filter movements and gates, have a look at

about side-chaining Ultrabeat. v. useful for House/Techno.

Also have a look at the autofilter, delay designer (crazy!), and loads more. However, if you really want plugin recommendations for this type of stuff, check out BigSeq2 by Audio Damage for gated/rhythmic fx. For mastering try iZotope's Ozone 4. Pricey but worth it.

However, I will reiterate that the more I learn about making music, the fewer plugs I use. I went on a buying spree when I first started out, but I now often end up using Logic plugs exclusively or predominantly. I made this techno track using just the ES2 and Ultrabeat, for example.

Thanks! I know that with Logic alone I can make loadzzzz of interesting processed sounds. But Reason seems to have specific really artistic and creative plugins esp for electronic music and they do sound interesting. So that's what I'm looking for to use in Logic and that's what I'm asking for a recommendation.

As for side chain, I know this trick. I'll check out the other 2 links posted.

So any more recommendations?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by really artistic and creative. There are literally 1000s of AU plugins out there. Many do conventional tasks like reverb/compression, but there are also a staggering number that can mangle sound beyond all recognition.

I've never used Reason, and I'm sure it does have lots of cool features, but the modularity of Logic and other plugin host DAWs surely means they have infinite possibility. It's just up to you to navigate that plugin universe and find the stuff you like. Try KVR.

As for me, a couple more favorites include KTGranulator, Michael Norris's Spectral plugins & Stormgate (all free btw).

For synths I like FM8, Zebra, Alchemy, ES2 and Sculpture. If you have all of those, you'll have most of the major methods of synthesis covered, and covered well.

widdershins, Thanks! I'm really interested in Filter Plugins. But I see what you mean. Probably I just need a good tutor on using the logic plug ins. I just thought that in Reason it is easier to get the sound for electronica that you need. And that is why I was interested whether there are similar stand alone plugins I can use with Logic.

ruari, as I said above, those plugins seemed more easy to tweak to the desired effect in house, trance, etc. I saw a couple of videos on using those plugins in such kind of music. They just seem to be more convenient in using for those purposes.

those plugins seemed more easy to tweak to the desired effect in house, trance, etc.…They just seem to be more convenient in using for those purposes.

I'm not sure if I agree with this statement, you can do some really cool things with both systems if you spend enough time getting to know exactly how they work.

Thor can produce some mad sounds if you spend some time experimenting with it, likewise I am constantly impressed by what I can get out of the ES2.

You could use your Dr. Rex to create some really interesting textures, now it's also possible to use your .rex files the same way in Logic using ReCycle & a bit of sidechaining.

Logic is really powerful out of the box & like widdershins I have spent alot of money on different bits of kit in the past thinking that I had to have it all before I had any real idea of what I was trying to do.

I'd advise you to take the time to learn how one synth works before moving onto the next, you can be blinded by choice sometimes & that will just slow you down initially. Maybe open up the ES2 & don't look at any other synth until you can say you that you genuinely know what each knob, button or slider is doing, experiment with the Router using different targets & sources. What happens if you move the the little arrows at the side of the router parameters?

Most of all have fun experimenting, I've got a load of patches saved that I created purely by accident whilst playing about with synths. Sometimes they can end up being your favourite ones.