Touch OSC with Logic

Razor

I am not exactly sure if I am writing this in the correct section, but it is partly specific to Logic Pro, so here goes.

I have noticed a few passing references to TouchOSC in the forums, and I think Fader8 has even posted a quick push button Layout.

Problem is, I wanted to set up my own layout but can not get the Auto Learn section of Logic to recognise ANY incoming signal. As a result I cant link any faders to anything in Logic.

However, I CAN use the standard Logic Pad Touch OSC and it works Fine (except for the occasional slider name not updating when I change too quick), and all the sliders, pots, switches, etc link up fine.

What I want to do, is figure out where I am going wrong...IF I am going wrong.

I would like to, for example, set up an interface between Logic's Compressor and TouchOSC on my iPad, but set Sliders instead of pots for the Attack and Release, and then the other sliders included.

Has anybody else fiddled around with TouchOSC and could give me any ideas?

Comments?

Again apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Razor,

The template I was working on used key commands, not MIDI. The OSC messages were processed through Osculator which converted them to key strokes.

For what you want to do, you just need to set up Osculator to convert OSC messages to MIDI cc's. Or are you trying to do this with Logic 9.1.2's OSC control surface support?

Thanks for your reply Fader8.

Razor,

The template I was working on used key commands, not MIDI. The OSC messages were processed through Osculator which converted them to key strokes.

For what you want to do, you just need to set up Osculator to convert OSC messages to MIDI cc's. Or are you trying to do this with Logic 9.1.2's OSC control surface support?

To be honest, I have got myself confused as hell about how it all works.

Maybe it is with Logics OSC support that has confused me.

I have played around with the iPad template that comes with TouchOSC and it works fine. (no osculator required)

I have run Osculator itself and got it to recognise the signals from my test Layout.

That is as far as I have got.

I honestly am not following the process from TouchOSC through Osculator through to Logic. I dont understand the process to set up my own at all.

I tried watching some youtube how to's but it is like they are skipping over a step somewhere.

I can get Osculator to receive from my Ipad...but, then what?

Honestly, I think I will chuck it and just go back to using my mouse. It seemed like a good idea, but I am spending time trying to figure it out when I should be writing.

Thanks anyway Fader8.

Honestly, I think I will chuck it and just go back to using my mouse. It seemed like a good idea, but I am spending time trying to figure it out when I should be writing.

I hear ya! It can eat up some serious time. That's why I stalled on the template I was constructing! Also, you have to be patient while developers get the bugs worked out. Osculator's great, but the Touch OSC host editing software was giving real headaches. I'm sure it's improved by now, but I've had no time to futz with it.

Sometimes the best way to approach this stuff is to dabble with it for a while. Don't try to get anything real accomplished until you've grok'd it all and all the software is sound. Just experiment with it casually and learn from it. Then when everything is up to speed and you've got a handle on it, you can really make stuff happen. So don't give up, just don't have high expectations!

So don't give up, just don't have high expectations!

Wise words!! Although I sheepishly have to admit I have given up trying to customize TouchOSC for a while. I LOVE the way it works with Logic, however there are some key commands that I would like to integrate with the existing layouts in lieu of current features that I am not using.

For now, I am using a program called Keypad Pro. It seems to be suiting my needs for a customizable key command driven driven interface for the moment.

Scott A.

Yep.

I am agreeing with you both.

It seems to have so many possibilities, which makes the complexity and "buginess" so disappointing.

I think I will continue to dabble with it here and there, but I am not going to get to serious with it as yet. I do need some more time spent on understanding the controller surfaces and midi trigger side of Logic anyway though, so I suppose that is a good place to start my reading.

All the traits that make me good at my gig, make me unbearable to live with.

SOUNDS LIKE ME!

Can you tell me more about keypad pro please?

Well, Keypad Pro looks like it was set up initially for Photoshop and other programs, but it does allow you to create your own custom keypad and insert your own key commands on those keys. That being said, it does have drawbacks- you can't do any more than two keys on one button instance (ie you could do control F but not control F and an arrow key). Also, you have to use their server software which does have some latency.

All in all, it is suiting my current needs, but I sure would love to not have to launch another peice of software and have the rapid response of TouchOSC. Someday...... :0)

Scott A.

Well, I discovered that I was suffering from a slight case of ESTOS (Equipment Superior To Operator Syndrome).

After playing around with KeyPad Pro a bit more today, I discovered that you CAN do multiple keys on a button instance, so KPP is becoming a viable option for the time being!

Scott A.

Started having some partial success, have set up a template and have got it controlling the Attack pot on the compressor.

Still a bit fiddly and intermittent.Will keep playing with it.

Keypad sounds interesting, but it is the faders I am interested in, not keystrokes so I might leave it.

Out of curiosity, I read a blog about how a guy uses an external wireless number pad as a control surface. I can understand how he could us the numeric keypad to duplicate the keypad on his regular keyboard, but how could you make it do something different? Surely Logic would then have to be able to distinguish between the two keypads somehow?

I am not sure how that would work but I think it has possibilities.

• 4 weeks later...
Based on your first post, I think the problem might be you are using midi CC messages in oscillator. Midi cc is used for faders and nobs, and not for triggering notes, which is why "learn mode" is useless for what you're wanting to do. Think "controllers versus control surfaces". You need to change from midi cc to midi note, and then assign the correct note based on what you see in the piano roll.

Hi everybody.

I can use TouchOSC perfectly to control Logic with the included template. After Logic 9.1.3 it is pretty straight forward. Just have both iPad and Mac on the same Wi-Fi, open TouchOSC and that's it.

What I can't do is use another template (I'm trying one with pads) and TouchOSC to play Logic's instruments.

Already downloaded Osculator and it appears on Logic's Environment.

Already tried to fiddle with Controller Assignment.

Nothing happens.

Can't manage to make TouchOSC to send MIDI notes to Logic and play instruments with it.

I've watched some YouTube videos, read some tutorials but nope... There's is somethign I'm missing.

Can any good soul point me to the right direction?

Or even better, make a short step by step?

:wink:

Thanks a bunch!

!!!

Managed to get some MIDI note signal from a pad layout from TouchOSC into Logic.

But no sound yet.

Already check the MIDI note value using Caps Lock, inserted the same note in Osculator but nothing.

What am I doing wrong?????

:x

Choosing MIDI note on Osculator does not make any sound.

Choosing MIDI Note + Param does, but it plays the note Osculator wants.

;)

How to change this?

Thanks

Pic attached.

767123313_Screenshot2011-03-29at12_56.thumb.png.b32c854f206bd2fc13bb52a20c6a9f60.png

DaniGordon, symotree

I think I will go back and have another play around with this now and see if I can figure out where it is going wrong. Symotree, you may be on to something there.

By the way, for those who have commented about using the original layout that come with it, yes I got that working too. What I am trying to sort out is setting up my own...the real reason for having it.

symotree, you said " I think the problem might be you are using midi CC messages in oscillator. Midi cc is used for faders and nobs, and not for triggering notes, which is why "learn mode" is useless for what you're wanting to do. Think "controllers versus control surfaces". You need to change from midi cc to midi note, and then assign the correct note based on what you see in the piano roll."

I am pretty sure I am understanding what you mean, but does changing from midi cc to midi note and 'learning' that effectively make keyboard notes become triggers?

Apologies if I am missing it, but I want to get my head clear about how it works.

Hi Razor.

Well, here I managed to get some MIDI signal going from a pad layout in TouchOSC into Logic trough Osculator.

And I managed to change Osculator's Event Type to MIDI Notes, but it does not work. Even inserting the appropriate MIDI note that the TouchOSX pad is showing.

The only way I can trigger Logic's Instrument with TouchOSC is setting Event Type in Osculator with MIDI Note w/ Parameter (my pic above shows it).

But I can't change the correspondent note.

I can't make for example, pad 1 of TouchOSC to play the kick drum (MIDI note C-1).

Choosing only MIDI Note and choosing C-1 on the Value field doesn't do anything.

Choosing MIDI Note w/Parameter works but Osculator didn't let me choose wich note to trigger with each pad on TouchOSC.

Somebody managed to use it accordingly and want to share with us how it is done?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Intersting read, guys. What I'd like to do is get a Bars and Beats display onto the included LogicTouch template in the touchosc layouts. The iPad layout has exactly that but I can't seem to duplicate it on the iPod touch or iPhone.

Any ideas?

Hi Razor.

Well, here I managed to get some MIDI signal going from a pad layout in TouchOSC into Logic trough Osculator.

And I managed to change Osculator's Event Type to MIDI Notes, but it does not work. Even inserting the appropriate MIDI note that the TouchOSX pad is showing.

The only way I can trigger Logic's Instrument with TouchOSC is setting Event Type in Osculator with MIDI Note w/ Parameter (my pic above shows it).

But I can't change the correspondent note.

I can't make for example, pad 1 of TouchOSC to play the kick drum (MIDI note C-1).

Choosing only MIDI Note and choosing C-1 on the Value field doesn't do anything.

Choosing MIDI Note w/Parameter works but Osculator didn't let me choose wich note to trigger with each pad on TouchOSC.

Somebody managed to use it accordingly and want to share with us how it is done?

Thanks!

FWIW, the latest version of TouchOSC supports Core Audio directly (with the latest iOS). Simply setting up a Network MIDI session in Audio MIDI Setup allows TouchOSC to communicate using standard MIDI messages direct, so no more faffing around with Osculator for most stuff.

HTH

CCT

• 1 month later...

I just got TouchOSC and so far it looks like I connected everything ok and Logic sees the divice, but when I select a track in Logic and press any button on TouchOSC it doesn't do anything.

I got this mainly to be able to use as a remote on my iPhone so I can record the piano upstairs using my main rig from the basement studio, w/o having to record on my laptop w my less than desirable portable interface.

Any thoughts as to what I need to do to make it so I can use my iPhone as a remote?

In the Connections screen on OSC on your iPhone, the first item in the list is the address of your computer. Tap it and make sure in the next screen that you see it at the bottom again (below the first five items). You may need to reenter the IP address of your mac. Sometimes it takes a little while til you see the name of your computer at the bottom.

Hi

Try this:

1) Turn off TouchOSC

2) In Logic, go to Preferences:Control Surfaces:Setup

3) Select the iPhone/iPad and Delete

4)Start TouchOSC, and select the Mac in the Connections Pane.

After a moment or 2, Logic will ask is it OK to connect.

You should be good to go

CCT

In the Connections screen on OSC on your iPhone, the first item in the list is the address of your computer. Tap it and make sure in the next screen that you see it at the bottom again (below the first five items). You may need to reenter the IP address of your mac. Sometimes it takes a little while til you see the name of your computer at the bottom.

AWESOME!

I have it working an absolute treat now with the OSC built in to LOGIC.

I use the template originally provided to do some rough mixing and editing when on the road.

I also use a cool app called Pianist Pro for midi recording and one called Key chords with the output of the ipad routed to the line in of my Macbookpro to record guitar chords.

I can then apply whatever guitar effects I need to the track which allows me to quickly cut in a track for refinement when I get back to the studio later.

I went on a few days holiday and had my Macbook and ipad with me and no instruments, just a couple of cables in my bag.

When I got back , I had a full song written, recorded, and demoed up ready for attacking in the studio. SWEET!

I have all the IP connections right and I see representation in TouchOSC when I select tracks, record enable them, etc. in Logic, but when I try the other way around (which is the whole point) to press record, play, switch tracks, etc. in TouchOSC still nothing happens.

I'm using the LogicTouch layout.

In Logic, when I press command K to get the Controller Assignments window, TouchOSC is there, but in the Mode column it just says (No Mode) and there are no available options in the columns to the right. Says "No Assignment Selected" in big column all the way to the right.

• 3 weeks later...

I have no problems with TouchOSC working, but what I'm trying to do is change key command assignments, so that for instance instead of the Record button on TouchOSC triggering "Record" in Logic, it triggers "Record/Record Repeat".

The Learn New Assignment instructions in Logic docs don't seem to work -- Logic never receives any messages from TouchOSC while in Learning Mode. So I went into Controller Assignments and tried to change it from there. I click the Show button for the control I want to change, which pops up the Key Commands list, but what does Logic expect me to do?