How to replace / swap audio file yet keep edits?

bluestarstudios

Hello Gentlemen,

I need some help. I'm working on a film. I was sent the original audio track which I made various edits to (fades, cutting, etc.). Now however I was just sent a new version of that track. It will require exactly the same edits as the original one. Is there any way to swap the two files and retain all the edits that I made?

Thanks

David

Delete the audio region(s) not the the audio track. If a dialogue box appears asking if you want to erase the automation, click on 'No'.

Drag the new audio onto the same position as the previously deleted audio on the audio track.

No. That wasn't it. I'm not talking about automation, but about region edits. Region crossfades and all...

Found a quick work around which was just renaming the orginal file to something different. Then upon opening the project Logic asks for the missing file. I can then replace it with another one.

Does anybody have a way to do that without closing the project? If not then at least this works.

Found a quick work around which was just renaming the orginal file to something different. Then upon opening the project Logic asks for the missing file. I can then replace it with another one.

That's the only way I know to do it. In fact I was going to say: make a backup of the audio file onto another volume, delete the audio file, close and reopen the project, and when Logic asks for the missing file, point it to your new file.

Your method is even easier. :D

• 1 year later...

That's the only way I know to do it. In fact I was going to say: make a backup of the audio file onto another volume, delete the audio file, close and reopen the project, and when Logic asks for the missing file, point it to your new file.

Your method is even easier. :D

...two years later, *THANKS* to both of you for saving me three hours of work with your simple tricks! Both solutions work, of course, but by changing the name of the original file AND having a copy of the file with the same name in the place (folder) I wanted it to be, Logic actually searched for the file and replaced it on its own without even asking me where to look...!

(On second thought, I wonder if this is a good thing; oh, I guess that Logic knew what to do because I tried a first time pointing it to the right location but not having changed the name of the file back to the one it was asking for, so it didnt work.)

Anyway, I had imported an audio file from a USB key directly into Logic and heavily edited; then I had no idea how to tell Logic to use the copy of the file I had placed in the audio folder of the project instead of using the USB key.

I really thought there was no other choice than to re-do every single snip. Cold sweats, I swear :shock:

• 5 years later...

Thanks for this. This is something that my other main DAW Reaper handles really nicely.

Not surprised I need a workaround rather than Logic having an option for it, seems to happen to me a lot coming from Reaper.

Not really trying to diss Logic, I like it for many reasons, but I am surprised at how many features/options it lacks.

Thanks again!

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone,

(Hi david ! Thanks for your constant help, that's amazing)

I had the same problem with drum programming as I'm just using audio regions (no ultrabeat)

My method to replace an audio region is that :

- first, save your logic project and tick all the boxes (it's important)

- drag and drop your new sample in the project browser interface (shortcut : F)

- double click on it to see it in the file editor (bottom of the screen)

- select all the waveform (cmd+A) and copy (cmd+C)

- now, spot the audio region you want to replace in your track and double click on it

- it is now shown in the file editor

- select all (cmd+A) and paste (cmd+V)

- it is now replaced

IMPORTANT : If you want to keep a backup of your original file, you can do it with the menu :

audio file/create backup

Be careful because this method is destructive. BUT, because you ticked all the boxes

when you saved your project, it won't change your original samples on your hard drive.

It will change the samples WITHIN your project (Media/audio files).

Pro: fastest method I found

Con: the name of your file stays the name of the first sample you choose...

if you replace "kick.aif" with "bongo.aif", your file would still "kick.aif"...

So I just rename my track with the last sample I chose.

Hope that helps !

I you have a better method or if there is any update from logic, please let me know !

c.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Thanks for the tips! I now this is an old thread, but I JUST created a huge project with stock music - complete with the preview audio stamp. My clients approved it, and I was JUST able to easily swap the .mp3 for the un-watermarked .wav file!

PS, Logic should have this as an option, FYI.

• 6 months later...
In addition to manually replacing the file, you need not restart the project to update logic's registration of that file. Select a region/edit of that file in the timeline while having the Browse/Project window open, you will see it getting highlighted there too. Then use "Update file information" in the "Audio File" Menu of that project window. Logic then realises it's gone and asks you to locate it.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...