Logic Can't find sample library on 2nd internal disk

Ewald

So I've got a new macbook pro, got rid of the DVD-drive and now have two hard drives. 1st is a SSD which holds the system an 2nd is a 7200rpm for everything else, including Samples library.

Now, I'm having trouble using the 2nd drive for the sample library.

I wanna put all my samples on that one, i.e. third party samples, Logics factory samples and garageband samples.

I know this is doable but for some reason Logic can't find the samples when I put them on the 2nd Drive.

On the 1st drive it doesn't matter where I put the samples (doesn't have to be in the Library > Application Support > Logic-folder) Logic finds them anyway.

From what I know, if you're using an external or 2nd drive for Samples, you need to make aliases of your Samples-folders and put them in:

Library > Application Support > Logic

Now I've done that but it still won't work.

Am I missing something here?

Also.. do the EXS-files have to be in the same directory as the samples?

I should be able to put them in:

Library > Application Support > Logic > Sampler Instruments

Right?

If someone has a better idea in terms of samples-logistics, feel free to share :)

This is really buggin me. I really need that space on the SSD-drive

tx

Yea I tried that before and did it again but it's not working.

The weird thing is that it finds some of the samples but not all.. and their in the same directory!!

For example.. The EXS24 finds the "Classical Piano" but not the "Steinway Grand" in the > Factory > Avoustic Pianos-folder ..and so on.

EXS24 instrument “Steinway Grand Piano.exs”: Audio file “Stw ped v1 024.AIF” not found!

But their right there, next to each other in the folder. So frustrating.

I can assure you all samples and EXS-files are okay and working.

I can't seem to get a grip on this one. I've tried everything I know.

Kinda desperate here

There are two steps:

1) EXS Instruments must find the EXS Samples

2) Logic must find EXS Instruments

• 1) EXS Instruments > Samples
    As you know, the EXS instrument doesn't store its samples with the instrument which has advantages and disadvantages. (different topic/discussion). The instrument stores only the path to the sample. And of course if you move the samples then EXS looks around by itself (with some kind of intelligence) and either offers you locations where if found possible files or ask you to locate them by yourself. A re-save of the EXS instrument will "update" the sample path. There is a great app by Redmatica called ProManager that helps with all that housekeeping and keeps all the references valid

2) Logic > EXS Instrument
    When you launch Logic you will see in the startup window at one point that it looks for EXS instruments. That's the part when Logic reads all the EXS Instruments in the "Application Support>Logic>Sampler Instrument" and creates a database that you access when making a Find in EXS Plugin. Although Logic ONLY looks in that directory, you can use Aliases to store your library outside that directory (external, network attached, etc).
    I used two varieties in the past.
    2.1) Have your Instruments and Samples stored externally and create Aliases of those Instruments and move them into that Application Support directory. Logic resolves nested folder structures through the Alias with no problem.
    2.2) Have the EXS Instruments stored in the Application Support directory and store the Samples externally

I used the 2.1 solution for a long time because it lets you organize your whole Library externally where you want it and it is not embedded deep in your system drive. That also makes backup strategies easier. One downside is the that the loading time (the part of the Logic startup where it locates the files and builds the database) takes longer when the actual EXS Instrument has to be resolved. If your library is not as big then it might be negligible. Just time it.

If you have a big EXS library and have the money I would highly recommend ProManager. It takes care of everything, saves you a lot of time and lets you move stuff around without the restriction. It is $69 and available at the App Store. I'm not affiliated with the company but a satisfied user of their products and Andrea Gozzi is a nice guy who creates great products for the Logic community and it's worth supporting him (unlike other companies that just leave you in the dust at their corporate will, sorry but still irked about the NI's Kore decision)

I'm having a similar problem with the loop browser. I have all of my samples stored on my external drive and when I drag a folder of loops to the browser, the usual dialog shows up asking about recopying them to the Apple loops folder or use the current location. I hit 'current location' and sometimes the folder will show up in the browser, but more often, it will not.

For example, in a folder called 'loops' I will have 2 folders 'loops 1' and 'loops 2'. I drag 'loops 1' use the current location and everything is fine...I do the same w/ 'loops 2' and nothing shows up in the viewer for it even though I go through the exact same process. The folders all have the same read/write permissions and I just tried doing the reindexing suggested above.

It doesn't seem to make any sense espec. considering all (I think) Logic is trying to do is remember a file path.

TIA for any thoughts/suggestions.

So I messed around a bit and am still at a loss. I tried reindexing etc. and it is still as finicky as ever. I have noticed that while Logic is 'thinking' after adding the folder, an alias does appear in the apple loops folder and a new index file appears in the apple loops index folder. When Logic is done thinking, both the alias and index file disappear.

This problem happens consistently with some folders while other folders consistently work.

I've tried about everything I can think of and really running out of options.

So I just wanted to report back on my endeavour to fix my EXS24 library.

I bought a software called "ESX-manager". Almost the same as "Pro-manager" (recommended above) but it only handles EXS-samples and is cheaper.

It totally did the trick!

Great software to have even if you're not having problems. The thing that really helped was the re-linking of exs-instrument to sample.

There's a great video-tutorial on how it all works.

May I also say that I'm not affiliated with the company either.

I can now have all my samples on my 2nd harddrive with only an alias in the:

Application Support > Logic-directory

Just the way I want it.

Thank you EdgarRothermich for the exellent tip! And to everyone else for putting time and effort into this.

You saved me a lot of headache.

Ewald, thanks for reporting back about your success.

I'm a huge fan of EXS Manager and its creator (Andrea). It's a necessary piece of software if you're a heavy EXS-24 user because inherently, Logic's ability to resolve samples in EXS instruments is (not a nice word beginning with "F")'d up.

• 3 years later...

Hey all, I know this is an older thread now.

I have been searching for a possible answer to the same question. I have an external drive and I have moved the following folders

Main Drive/Library/Application Support/Logic/EXS Factory Samples

.../Ultrabeat Samples

.../Sampler Instruments

Main Drive > Library > Audio/Apple Loops

Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Logic Instruments/Sampler Files

.../Sampler Instruments

there seems to be a lot of information on the web about using a second drive to aid in performance issues regarding the HD streaming of audio samples during playback and recording. The premise (as I understand it) is that a HD cannot read and write at the same time, so two hard drives will perform better and you will have less of this "the audio engine was not able to process all required data in time" error.

However, there seems to be no good answers of why, after I have performed these moves and alias changes, that I can go directly to every alias I have created and find the proper folders/files, but logic still tells me it can't find the instrument. First I just moved the samples, then I read a few threads that mentioned moving the exs files as well.

No advice, so far, is working

Further, I am not understanding why the project files I already created had copies of these samples in them, but seem to have lost them after in the process? I never went into each project file and removed the samples. Or maybe I just thought that and I am going crazy.

can anyone help educate me in where I am going wrong, besides a purchase of proprietary software?

Thanks all.

Hi,

there seems to be a lot of information on the web about using a second drive to aid in performance issues regarding the HD streaming of audio samples during playback and recording.

Streaming samples from disk is optional with the EXS24 (EXS24 > Options button > Virtual Memory. Uncheck "Active" and samples will be loaded into RAM only). As far as I can tell, Ultrabeat loads any samples into RAM, too.

So, if you have enough RAM in your system you should not be worrying about this at all...which reminds me:

As per forum rules, please click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic 10.0.7)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS 10.9.3)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)

• Memory (e.g. 2GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. Presonus AudioBox USB)

• MIDI Controller manufacturer and model (e.g. M-Audio Axiom Pro 49)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

Thanks,

J.