Error (Result Code = -37) Bad file name or volume name

LMA3

Hi all,

I'm getting this error whenever I try to import a specific OMF that was e-mailed to me just recently. I've received OMF's just fine in the past, but this one for some reason is giving me problems. Neither me or the picture editor can figure out why the OMF is behaving this way, any ideas? I've attached a screenshot on this post so you can see what I'm getting. Thank you very much for any feedback/help.

Presonus Firebox I/O

Logic Express 9

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 2 GB

66443516_Screenshot2012-05-25at6_37_41PM.thumb.png.62e05180183f14a5a51f869abda3e121.png

Bad file name or volume name (perhaps zero-length)

Hello LMA3, and welcome to Logic Pro Help! Sorry to hear about your issue.

First, know that if you wish, you can attach the OMF file to this thread so that one of us can try to open it, to see if we get the same error or not, and see if it can be fixed.

Next: Aside from the error alert, do you get any problems with that file, or does it otherwise behave normally?

I've received OMF's just fine in the past, but this one for some reason is giving me problems.

Have you changed anything at all on your system between then and now? Are you using the system drive, or another drive? If you're using another drive, was it formatted to Mac OS X Extended?

- Have you tried putting the file on another drive?

- Have you tried renaming the file?

• 5 months later...

The bad file name error has been a round for quite some time. Logic doesn't like long file names, so the problem can often be traced back to a clip with a long name.

It really blows me away that Apple has never got it together with OMF importing. It still doesn't work in Logic 9. If I want to work in 9, I have to open it in 7 (which imports omfs just fine) and save the project, then reopen it in 9. To tell you the truth, I still prefer 7 so I just stay in 7.

I've been mixing/editing TV Post Audio with Logic since 2004 and I've been round and round with tech guys at Apple telling them that OMF import doesn't work and they confirmed it when I sent them an OMF that ORIGINATED FROM FINAL CUT PRO! It stopped working properly for long form stuff with Logic 8 and it's still broken... amazing.

*A quick tip for editor exporting an OMF for Logic. Make sure to uncheck include transitions, Logic will often crash when this option is left check in Final Cut Pro.

-Danny

I hear ya man. Logic 9 is the first version I've ever used, so I wouldn't know about 7 or how efficient it is. Sounds badass though.

Im planning on upgrading to Pro from Express, maybe that'll make a difference? Anyway, thanks a lot for your feedback and support my friend. :)

Another cause of error -37 can be if you are allowing OS X to put your Hard Drives to sleep.. (See energy saver settings in System Preferences) or you have a green drive attached to your computer... that goes to sleep and parks it's heads without any interaction with the OS.

Unchecking the "Put Hard Drives to Sleep when possible" often cures these error -37 issues that can arise...

For laptops make sure you uncheck it both for Battery and Mains Power unless you only use Logic when it is powered up....

The reason for the error in layman's terms... is that the OS (or the Hard Drives themselves) puts the HD to sleep and parks the head. When Logic tries to save or access a file on the drive, it takes a while for the HD to 'wake up' by which time Logic gets bored waiting and throws up a -37 error because the Volume isn't available (so the Volume 'name' is bad...) as far as it is concerned. From what i understand this is really an OS Routine bug though many programs get around it by using a different routine to check if drives are asleep or not. Logic ( and a few other programs..) apparently don't, hence the issue at times.

Well dig this... I did an omf import test for the first time under the new 9.1.8 update and low and behold, IT OPENED WITH NO ERRORS! It was a full 45 minute edit out of Final Cut. I'll continue to test other omfs as they're sent to me, but this could be promising.

(EDIT) ...and now today I opened a new omf and got the bad file name error again, so still not fixed. Lame.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

In the past, omf import was working perfect for me.

Now, I'm having the same problem:

Error (Result Code = -37) Bad file name or volume name

the OMF comes from the video editor, working on FCP 9

if I click the OK button 30 times, I get the file finally imported , but only a few audiofiles do open.

Could I send someone the omf to see if the problem is somewhere in the original file?

I tried aaf to but that ended up just empty trakcks..

here's my setup:

logic pro 9.1.8

osx 10.9.4

motu 828 firewire

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2,2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

File System: Journaled HFS+

Writable: Yes