Getting continuous Active Sense messages

Hi folks,

I've just started getting continuous Active Sense messages (approx. 3 - 4 per sec.) in LS9. It's coming from my technics SXP30 motherboard, as diagnosed using Midi Monitor.

I can filter the messages out using the input filter in Logic but, what really bothers me is that this new phenomenon has appeared with absolutely nothing having changed in the chain. I attempted to reset the Technics as far as it's possible to do so, to no avail.

When I go back to work on projects with which I had previously had no Active Sense issues I now have to set the input filter to exclude SysEx before I can record anything.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

It is weird that it started sending those now, all of a sudden. If those messages are implemented in the Technics, it should always send them. I doubt that's something you can turn off....on the other hand, I have an M-Audio controller that sends Active Sense messages...I see them in Snoize's MIDI Monitor but I don't see them anywhere in Logic's monitors, neither in recorded regions. So as far as I can tell, Logic just ignores them.

J.

[EDITED] Active sensing messages are sent every 1/3 of a second and shouldn't present any issue for Logic. They are never recorded. And for most situations, the bandwidth taken up by active sensing messages is not so extreme as to be a concern.

At the end of the day, it's not a problem for Logic to receive these messages, and shouldn't preclude you from recording anything. And this isn't a Logic problem, per se. Any MIDI data being received by Logic is generated from external sources, so you should look to the Techniques thing to figure out why its started to generate these messages.

Edited by ski

All of my midi devices that transmit / receive Active Sensing also have the option to switch it off. Is this option available on the SXP30? As Ski said there is no need to turn it off because of bandwidth concerns, indeed, the only reason mine are off is that I found the flashing lights on my interface distracting.

As I’m sure you know the idea behind AS is if a sound generator receives a note on and then the midi cable breaks (?) or is removed before the note off is sent the note will continue sounding. The device will stop sounding if an AS message is not received every 0.3 seconds or so. I can only conclude that the above scenario must have occurred often enough during the development of the midi protocol to warrant including AS in the spec. In the 25 years or so that I have been using midi this has never happened to me and I consider the chances of it happening remote enough to feel pretty safe turning AS off.

Alan.

I doubt that's something you can turn off....

Correct, as far as I can tell. The technics is a very simple machine.

[EDITED] And for most situations, the bandwidth taken up by active sensing messages is not so extreme as to be a concern.

I haven't noticed any bandwidth issues, as yet.

All of my midi devices that transmit / receive Active Sensing also have the option to switch it off. Is this option available on the SXP30?

Not that I can find in the manual or by experimentation.

I see them in Snoize's MIDI Monitor but I don't see them anywhere in Logic's monitors, neither in recorded regions.
Active sensing messages are sent every 1/3 of a second and shouldn't present any issue for Logic. They are never recorded.

It shows up in Logic in two places. Firstly, as a row of 'x's in the top of the region in arrange view. These appear as the region is being recorded. Secondly, in the list view as SysEx events. When I delete the events from the list, the 'x's disappear from the region. If I filter out SysEx events at the input prefs in Logic, neither the 'x's nor the SysEx events appear.

Thanks, everyone for taking the time to give this problem some thought. It will probably turn out to be a finger problem and I'll inform the forum if I discover a solution.

It currently doesn't cause me any serious problems but is simply annoying.

Thanks again chaps.

Active sensing messages are sent every 1/3 of a second and shouldn't present any issue for Logic. They are never recorded.

It shows up in Logic in two places. Firstly, as a row of 'x's in the top of the region in arrange view. These appear as the region is being recorded. Secondly, in the list view as SysEx events. When I delete the events from the list, the 'x's disappear from the region. If I filter out SysEx events at the input prefs in Logic, neither the 'x's nor the SysEx events appear.

The X's are Sysex messages, not active sensing.

I've just looked at the Midi Monitor again and I'm getting both SysEx & Active Sense events showing.

1982468002_midimonitor.thumb.jpg.6529c509488153eb685980eed2d4d858.jpg

I know you're going to think I'm slightly mad but I would swear that the SysEx events weren't there when I looked at the Midi Monitor last time.

Ok. The Active Sense events are coming from the Technics P30 as they disappear from the midi monitor when I switch the P30 off. And the SysEx events are coming from the Yamaha O1X. I'm not sure what the 'O1X:4' refers to. I've briefly gone through the O1X manual but haven't found anything relevant, so far. I shall continue my search but if anyone has any thoughts on this I'd be most grateful.