A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

jsdigital

Re: Huge Problem: Logic Instantly Stops Playback

Wed May 20, 2020 3:05 pm

This has been happening for me also. I'm on a brand new, maxed-out iMac, and CPU is nowhere near spiking, nor is the HD. Don't think I've ever had this problem, and I've been a heavy Logic user for a decade. Causing issues on a deadline, constantly having to restart and hope it works. Can't identify any specific plugins causing the issue. Hope we get a patch soon. OSX 10.14.6

Akrobat

Thu May 21, 2020 3:17 pm

Hey guys, I discussed the problem with my an Apple-Advisor via hotline and he recommended to try the version before update. The 10.4.8 version is only available on Mac OS High Sierra. So if you install high sierra on a seperate external HDD, you can download the 10.4.8 version. Either you use the high sierra OS or you can also compress the installed software to *.zip in your software folder. After, you've to transfer it to your catalina or mojave OS and unzip it in your software file. Done. For any questions, don't hesitate.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-22 um 00.13.55.png
Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-22 um 00.13.55.png (1.13 MiB) Viewed 673 times

jsdigital

Thu May 21, 2020 3:23 pm

This seems like an insane amount of work for a major bug that Apple should be fixing. And if Apple's best current fix is to roll back to a previous version of LPX, they should make that previous version available to us, not expect us to obtain a new external hard drive to install an old version of Mac OS onto. I spoke with Apple today also. They said it might have something to do with Spectrasonics VST's (Omnisphere). I'm skeptical. But this is a huge problem.

AxeAttaxe

Thu May 21, 2020 6:37 pm

I coincidentally heard from Spectrasonics today on an unrelated topic. They stated they have a compatibility issue with all of their products - Omnisphere included - working with Logic 10.5. Looks to be related to automation. Here's their KB article:

https://www.spectrasonics.net/support/k ... egoryID=84

Oddly enough I am on 10.5 and Omnisphere runs fine thus far (knock wood). Perhaps it will stop running fine. I saw some folks on Reddit who had luck resolving this issue by forcing a Rescan of the problematic plug-ins, as described by Apple here (final step):

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201199
Logic Pro X 10.5 | macOS Catalina 10.15.4 | 2019 Macbook Pro 15" Core i9

antcarrier

Thu May 21, 2020 10:14 pm

jsdigital wrote:
I spoke with Apple today also. They said it might have something to do with Spectrasonics VST's (Omnisphere). I'm skeptical.

It doesn't have anything to do with Omnisphere. I don't have any Spectrasonics products, and this is a huge problem for me, often requiring a restart after only minutes of use.
iMac Pro 8 Core 32gb RAM
OS 10.14.6
https://soundcloud.com/jonny_lawson/

jsdigital

Fri May 22, 2020 10:46 am

Good to know. Apple Support has said it is a known issue, but they may not have a patch until AFTER WWDC.

tangentofficial

Fri May 22, 2020 4:15 pm

Same problem here. I'd like to note pressing the play buttons does the same thing. It also allows the project to play if you are recording, but this is very impractical so I must admit I am quite annoyed about how I can't finish a project I have been working on for some time.

Indianus

Sat May 23, 2020 5:55 am

jsdigital wrote:
they should make that previous version available to us,

Am I the only one who always copies the old instance of the Logic Application to a backup folder to be able to run older versions after updating.
From now on I advice everybody to do the same. Good luck, they way fix it., I think it is indeed the Spectrasonics stuff

jsdigital

Sat May 23, 2020 8:10 am

On my end, the update occurred automatically, otherwise I would have canceled it and backed up the app. Spectrasonics might cause an issue for some people sometimes, but I've been hearing from people having the same issue who do not have Spectrasonics products installed.

JossGEdwards

Sat May 23, 2020 9:15 am

Indianus wrote:
jsdigital wrote:
they should make that previous version available to us,

Am I the only one who always copies the old instance of the Logic Application to a backup folder to be able to run older versions after updating.
From now on I advice everybody to do the same. Good luck, they way fix it., I think it is indeed the Spectrasonics stuff

It's good advice and usually I do. However on this occasion it updated automatically and I had no idea there even was a new update available before I opened logic. Also I don't have any spectrasonics products installed

rAC

Sat May 23, 2020 8:01 pm

Turn off automatic updates
27" iMac Pro 1.1 8 core 64 GB 1 Tb SSD with 27" Apple Thunderbolt display
MacOS Catalina 10.15.4, Logic X 10.4.8 (10.5 also being investigated/trialed)
4 TB G-RAID via Thunderbolt Display and 4 TB TBolt HDD Timemachine only,
RME UFX via Firewire to Thunderbolt Display,
MOTU MIDI express XT to USB, Seaboard 25 via BT or USB,
Roland AT45, Kurzweil PC2r & PC3X, Arturia MatrixBrute, 12Step & BCF2000 via MOTU’s MIDI
PC3X, MatrixBrute, 12Step and BCF2000 occasionally via USB.

Indianus

Sun May 24, 2020 2:52 am

I just got a monster of a mac pro and i am having the same problem you guys have in 10.5, so i was glad i still saved the previous version of logic. However, the clean install i did with the previous version also has it’s problems, mainly giving me the spinning ball and not reacting when saving or quiting a project sometimes. I know a lot of you like to update stuff , but on my old mac i had the most stable os and logic i ever had. I never updated the os, and i advise you to turn off all automatic updates and think first. Whenever u hit a stable combination of software/hardware, clone it as a steady point to return to

corneliusw

Mon May 25, 2020 5:43 pm

I’m experiencing this bug across 2 different Macs on 2 seperate projects. Both projects are entirely different, different plugins and even deleting all tracks and leaving a blank audio or midi tracks still causes this issue. Once it’s in the project, it seems to be baked in! Thankfully, The only 10.5 features I’m using is step sequencing that can be converted to midi. These projects can then be opened fine in 10.4.8. I’ve submitted feedback. I first thought, like many of you it was related to midi inputs or possibly key commands but after many different tests, it is not. It also has nothing to do with resource heavy plugins - it’s happened on projects with 2-3 tracks.
Logic 10.4.8/10.5 - Mac Pro 2013 128GB RAM 10.14.6 / MacBook Pro 2018 32GB RAM 10.14.6. UAD Apollo

jsdigital

Wed May 27, 2020 7:37 am

Yea, a lot of us are in big trouble right now. I was in the middle of a two-month-long album production with a bunch of singers around the world, scheduled and booked. Lost a lot of money and momentum. It sucks really bad. Still holding out hope though.

jsdigital

Thu May 28, 2020 2:10 pm

Update: Apple support recommended updating from Mojave to 10.15.1. I've done this. Also re-installed LPX and my 3rd party plugins, ensuring everything is up-to-date. The problem persists. Apple support again saying they do not have an ETA for a fix.

bencollier

Fri May 29, 2020 10:40 am

jsdigital - check you DM may be able to help

vanishingrob

Fri May 29, 2020 1:24 pm

Having the same issue now that I've updated to 10.5. It happens on large sessions for me. I just reboot it and it works. Sometimes not for long though. I'm sure they'll fix this soon.

camstyle

Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:16 pm

Same issue here. Macbook Pro Catalina. Logic Pro X 10.5.0

Hit spacebar or Play and project starts and stops within a second.

I close Logic. Open Logic. Starts working for a minute or two, and then does the same thing.

I can't work on my clients project because of it. Really frustrated about it... and not sure what to do.