www.careersinmusic.com scam or not?

Just been viewing this video: http://www.careersinmusic.com/music-producer.aspx and the guy Richard is claiming you can sell your production music and earn royalties from years to come.

But don't production companies just buy quality music cheaply from the likes of Premiumbeat or Audiojungle that is royalty free?

* (I make a little money from writing music for fashion shows, short films/ documentaries and so forth, but it difficult convincing people to pay me more when they can get similar (although not taylor-made) music from one of the aforementioned websites...)

I never trust websites that look as LOUD as that... it looks cheaper even than Tell Sell©, or Tommy Teleshopping©, of however you may know the various shitselling shopping channels. Looks like a legal scam. Don't care if it is or isn't, it looks like that, and that's more than enough to turn me off.

I never trust websites that look as LOUD as that... it looks cheaper even than Tell Sell©, or Tommy Teleshopping©, of however you may know the various shitselling shopping channels. Looks like a legal scam. Don't care if it is or isn't, it looks like that, and that's more than enough to turn me off.

I'm guessing the sites that look like 90s HTML are more legit because they're made by an honest hard-working guy who can't afford a design team? D:

But don't production companies just buy quality music cheaply from the likes of Premiumbeat or Audiojungle that is royalty free?

Not necessarily… Bigger houses will go to "bigger" libraries which, at least ostensibly, have more quality. Extreme Music (which, apparently, licenses music from the author of the course) and APM are examples.

I mean, some of the information they give in the overview is on the right track, at least… I think it's probably legit, but is really punched up with the sales pitch and wouldn't be surprised if it makes things out to be easier than they really are.

I'm guessing the sites that look like 90s HTML are more legit because they're made by an honest hard-working guy who can't afford a design team? D:

That's quite a bit of oversteer in your verbal vehicle right there... or, az we zay in ze Nedderlands "cornered quite a bit short".

The spectrum of web designer choice is to my limited knowledge a bit broader than either no design team or one that creates loud and obnoxious überfake pop-art. And on that bombshell...

Ok, thanks for the opinions. I don't want to slam something purely based on the aesthetics of the website though. It does give me an "almost too good to be true" feeling and upon perusing their Facebook page (for those 61 customers who joined after buying the program) I read very little on anyone reporting royalties/ cheques flowing in or anything similar. Just posts about folks still trying to get business...

But I'd love to hear from someone who has actually tried the program.

On another note, I took a look at Extrememusic.se (as I'm in Norway, the Scandinavian branch of EM is in Sweden) and I was really impressed with the quality.

What is confusing though, is how it works with licensing/ royalties etc. Unless I've misunderstood, the composer would get a split of the license fee and a split of performance royalties. I think. But I don't know for sure.

I assume these production music businesses use something like Verance to track the music usage or else how does one keep a count of when your music is being broadcast and thus calculate your royalties (*for those in Scandinavia, is TONO or Gramart responsible for this?)?

Am I correct in thinking the composer doesn't get anything until the music is bought and or used, so as to generate performance royalties?

If anyone out there knows how this business actually works or can point me to a resource when I can learn this, I'd love to know :)