Destructive and non - destructive editing (difference)

ttocs

Put really simply, destructive editing is when you are actually changing the audio contained within the audio file. This generally happens only in the Sample Editor. Non destructive editing refers to region based editing in the arrange window, where you are changing region definitions, but the underlying audio remains intact and unaltered.

There are exceptions to the rule of course. One example is time stretching / compressing a region in the Arrange window by option dragging the right corner. This is destructive editing. But Logic invisibly converts the region into a new audio file as you are doing it.

Before destructive editing like this in the Arrange window, you might want to make a copy of your original region so as to be easily able to revert to it at a later date. Undo works fine, but if you change your mind much later you might be screwed without having a duplicate region to revert to.

In the sample editor there are options under the AudioFile menu to either create a backup or save a copy as or save selection as.

Hope this helps.

Eli Krantzberg

Do you know of any good tutorials that explains the sample editor and it's functions in depth?

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thats' a good question. I don't. I do Logic tutorials myself. But admittedly, haven't spent too much time in the Sample Editor in any of them.

Eli