Move existing LogicProX additional content to external disk?

knolan

I'd be very grateful if someone with a handle on this could offer some guidance:

- I already have Logic Pro X installed, including additional content, all on my internal HD. I wish to now move my additional content to an external hard disk. Can this be done (given in particular that LPX is already installed?). I'm running the latest version of LPX on 10.9.5

- If this can be done - is there a difference between folder aliases and symbolic links? Which do I use?

- Though some forums seem to point to using an app called symlink, I'm a UNIX user and am comfortable setting up symbolic links from a Terminal. Will this do?

- Could you provide the full list of folders (generic and user) to transfer

- Must I tell LPX where the new content locations are (and if so how), or will the symbolic links look after that?

- If updated content becomes available from Apple in the future, will it install it in the correct new (external disk) location(s)?

I did a search on this (and on other forums) but am left a bit confused and am reluctant to do the moves until it clear it can be done, completely, trouble free and future proof.

Thanks most sincerely for your time and guidance.

Kind regards,

Kevin.

Hmmm - this is the forum for Logic and nobody has an answer to the issue I'm trying to sort? For anyone in a similar predicament - I'm about to post the same question on SOS Mac Music Forum - perhaps someone there can help?

I read your first post and thought you already had most information in place.

- If this can be done - is there a difference between folder aliases and symbolic links? Which do I use?

Symlinks is the way to go.

- Though some forums seem to point to using an app called symlink, I'm a UNIX user and am comfortable setting up symbolic links from a Terminal. Will this do?

Yes.

- Could you provide the full list of folders (generic and user) to transfer

You can move more or less but this are the 3 largest folders:

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library

/Library/Application Support/Logic/EXS Factory Samples

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple

- Must I tell LPX where the new content locations are (and if so how), or will the symbolic links look after that?

No

- If updated content becomes available from Apple in the future, will it install it in the correct new (external disk) location(s)?

That's impossible to answer but there have been revisions of Logic/OS X that broken this connection.

You can just create Aliases in the Finder, it does the same thing as a Symlink.

For all intensive purposes an Alias IS a Symlink

Sadly that is not the case.

An alias is actually a file with a path to the original file including its inode name.

A symbolic link is just small file with a pointer to the path but not to the file directly.

There are plenty of scenarios with Logic when using symlinks are preferred.

If you use aliases almost everything will work, but only the download system of LP X will somehow "think" that the moved content is missing (even though it is used by LP X without issues) and will prompt you to download again. Not an enormous deal, unless you do download it (when there's content updates, for example) and then end up with annoying duplicates.