Importing drum file in MIDI [SOLVED]

lille_nicke

Hi guys

maybe a very easy question but I'm totally new to LPX so bare with me.

when I import a drumstack in MIDI format into logic pro they all turn into "steinway grand piano" tracks

I have a drum track I want to use which is 15 different separeted tracks (kick, snare etc) but all of them

no matter how I first save them, turn "steinway" on me when importing them back into logic?

why is this? can someone help :shock:

no matter how I first save them, turn "steinway" on me when importing them back into logic?

why is this?

If there's no program change events in your MIDI files, Logic will assign the piano patch by default just because it's the first one in the GM Sound set. To avoid this you could add drop the file (from the Finder) onto an existing software instrument track, then load whichever instrument you want. Another way Logic would assign a drum instrument automatically, would be if the notes in the MIDI file are using MIDI channel 10.

J.

hey

hmmm... I'm sorry, I don't understand. A few more questions please

"If there's no program change events in your MIDI files" - whats program change events?

How do I make sure that the notes in MIDI file uses channel 10?

and can I change the channel on the pattern I've allready have arranged?

thanks for your help

Hi,

I was just giving you several possibilities. You don't have to change the MIDI channel for the the note events on your MIDI file, unless you want Logic to automatically assign a drum instrument for you when you import the file.

It's easier to simply import the file (by drag and drop from the Finder or from the All Files Browser in Logic) onto an existing software instrument track and use whichever software instrument you want to use.

and can I change the channel on the pattern I've allready have arranged?

You can easily change the MIDI channel for the events in a region from the Event List. But you don't have to do this, unless you have a specific reason.

J.

I know you did and I am sorry. I am very new to everything.

It's easier to simply import the file (by drag and drop from the Finder or from the All Files Browser in Logic) onto an existing software instrument track and use whichever software instrument you want to use.

I tried this, ie I dragged the file onto an existing drum track in my new project. I got 15 steinways :oops:

If I want this particular MIDI that I have saved to ALLWAYS open drums, how do I go about it? That would be optimal

I would love to assign MIDI 1 to drums and eg MIDI 2 (also saved) to a particular synt...

I tried this, ie I dragged the file onto an existing drum track in my new project. I got 15 steinways

That means the note events in your files are using 15 different MIDI channels.

If I want this particular MIDI that I have saved to ALLWAYS open drums, how do I go about it? That would be optimal

Download the shareware "MidiKit 4.0.3" MIDI editor and change all note events' MIDI channels to channel 10 then save the file:

http://www.mixagesoftware.com/

I would love to assign MIDI 1 to drums and eg MIDI 2 (also saved) to a particular synt...

What's "MIDI 1" and "MIDI 2", MIDI files?

J.

That means the note events in your files are using 15 different MIDI channels.

I'm afraid to ask now, but can you tell me how I fix that? So they all use the same channel?

Please do it step by step as I don't have any experience of DAWs whatsoever. I'm just an

old (and maybee stupid) Rock guitarrist that wants to play around in my older days.

Download the shareware "MidiKit 4.0.3" MIDI editor and change all note events' MIDI channels to channel 10 then save the file:

http://www.mixagesoftware.com/

So theres no way of changing this in the Events List? Which I have found now by the way :)

Thanks for your help and patience

//LN

Thanks, after some testing I got it to work

did join all separate tracks in the first project. Had to start the new project by not only open a drumkit but

also had to enter some midi notes (any crap will do) so LPX recognized the channel as drums, THEN I

could drag and drop the 1 file. It's OK. I have to split them up again in the new project but that's only 20

minutes work.

2132109155_Skrmavbild2015-03-05kl_14_52_30.thumb.png.54872f771dd37e6374dcb7d9ce3dc5e8.png

In order to make sure LPX knew it was drums I had to make some drums with the midi

If I didn't it went all Steinway on me again. But if I just made a two bar sample with eg

hiHats. then Logic assumes that the file I dragged in was drums and left it drums.

I then just deleted. The small section from the region that I'd made

In order to make sure LPX knew it was drums I had to make some drums with the midi

If I didn't it went all Steinway on me again. But if I just made a two bar sample with eg

hiHats. then Logic assumes that the file I dragged in was drums and left it drums.

As long as the MIDI notes in the file use MIDI channel 10, Logic will load Drum Kit Designer with the "SoCal" setting.

It doesn't matter how many notes there are or which notes they are.

J.

I didn't understand how to set channel 10 that's why I did it this way

They're all set to channel 1. Don't know how to change that.

Klick in event list and just write 10 over the no 1 ? (Just a wilde guess)

Yes, you were on the right track. Select all events (Command-A), then double click the channel of one of the events and type "10". Hit enter and they all change to 10.

J.