Automation being read BEFORE nodes occur? [SOLVED]

JT3_Jon

Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing a weird situation with automation that hopefully someone can help me with. For some reason Logic is playing back track automation before it actually occurs in my project! Specifically when I automate plugin or instrument parameters. For example, say I'm running Logics chorus and want to automate the wet level and draw it to happen from bar 7-10, when I play back the song it will actually read the mix automation somewhere in the middle of bar 5 - almost 2 bars early!

This is true of logic plugins & 3rd party plugins, both as inserts and instruments. Oddly enough, this is only occurring on plugin parameters - the track volume & pan automation seem to read and play back just fine. This project was created in Logic 10.1 from scratch (i.e. did not continue off a template), but I did import tracks from a different Logic 10 project. I dont know how long this has been going on as today was the first time I tried automating a plugin and got confused as to why it wasn't playing back correctly.

Let me know if you need more information and/or an actual video showing whats going on. I'm hoping there is some sort of weird preference I clicked or something, but I dont see how anyone would want this as a "feature." Perhaps there is something wonky going on with my plugin delay compensation?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Hello Eric!! Nice to hear from you again!! Well, I just moved my logic file to my laptop (which doesn't have all the UAD plugins and ilok plugins installed) and the automation functions correctly, so I'm sure it will function correctly for you as well. Seems like its a system specific problem - maybe to do with UAD and plugin delay compensation or something (spitballing).

I'm going to try rebuilding my preferences and see what happens. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Scarily enough dumping the preferences didn't fix the issue! I then switched the audio preferences from my Apollo to my computers built-in audio hardware and it too exhibited the odd behavior!

Any further advice would be appreciated as frankly I'm at a loss as to what to do next? I recently made the switch to Logic 10, and this was actually my first song in Logic 10. Maybe I'll try loading a different project started in Logic 9 and see what happens...

Is there an easy way to launch the plugin without any 3rd party AU's and see if that fixes it? edit: I manually removed all plugins expect for logic plugins its still exhibiting the behavior on my main system - something must be wrong with my system. :(

Is there an easy way to launch the plugin without any 3rd party AU's and see if that fixes it? edit: I manually removed all plugins expect for logic plugins its still exhibiting the behavior on my main system - something must be wrong with my system. :(

Try launching Logic Pro X while holding down Control-Shift.

First off Eric, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your help! Its very late here and I'm going to bed as I can no longer thing straight, but incase you (or someone else) might be able to give me suggestions here is what else I've tried:

I tried launching Logic Pro X while holding Control-Shift - nothing seemed to happen?

So I took and old Logic 9 song, opened it in Logic 10, and tried drawing automation and it too was playing back before it happened (i.e. drew on bar 17, started playing back in bar 16). However, what was completely weird about this project is when I played it back, what I was hearing was almost a full beat behind what I was seeing in Logic! For example I would have a tempo change and it would occur in logic well before I would hear it, which is completely the opposite of what is going on with insert automation (I hear it before I see it change). Talk about frightening! I then loaded the same project in Logic 9 and it seems to work as expected.

I then created a brand new empty logic file, created an instrument and drew in some automation, and again its playing back automation before it actually gets to that point in Logic!!! How is this even possible?! I even went so far as to uncheck all plugins & instruments from the AU manager in Logic and using only logic plugins in a blank session I STILL get the same behavior!

This was all done on "fresh" preferences (removed all com.apple.logic preferences from my user -> Library folder. I've tried both using my audio interface (Apollo) and built in audio. I never experienced problems like these back when I was on 10.8 (upgraded to 10.9.5 for the latest logic update) but granted I didn't use Logic 10 much then, so perhaps this has always been a problem on my system?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

OMG - I AM SUCH AN IDIOT!! I thought it might be a preference, so I went digging and found in the Audio -> General tab the setting called "Sample Accurate Automation." When I put this to Volume, Pan, Sends, Plug-in Parameters and do my test in a blank session everything works as expected! YEAY!! I was about to re-install my entire system as I didn't have these issues in Logic 9. Turns out I had this preference on in Logic 9 and not in Logic 10, lol! Who would ever want this off I do not know.

Well, I'm so glad I found this. Even though I wasted many hours tonight, at least I can sleep easy knowing tomorrow I can get back to work. :-)

Archived