ES2 self oscillating filters

recordplay

Hi Guys,

Just been experimenting with the ES2 and poorly attempting to get the thing to self resonate...

With all oscillators off, no modulation and resonance on full. When tweaking the LP cut off to around 2 O'clock I am getting some audible resonance with a peak at about 2.3K.

How come this is happening. Don't quite understand it but want to and think it could be useful if I knew what I was doing. I think because the cut off is nearly open and res on full its causing this self oscillation like a normal analog synth ?

Also with the cut off fully off, res up and FM dial up I am getting a very audible bit crushing type sound. Baffled with this too

I think because the cut off is nearly open and res on full its causing this self oscillation like a normal analog synth ?

Yes, exactly. The filter feedbacks and starts self oscillating, generating that sound you're hearing.

Also with the cut off fully off, res up and FM dial up I am getting a very audible bit crushing type sound. Baffled with this too

You're using FM on a self oscillating filter, which is akin to using FM on an oscillator, and that bit crushing type sound is the sound of FM.