Manual Migration Versus Fresh Install

Just got my brand spanking new 17"MBP, i7 Quad Core. Trying to figure out the pros and cons of a manual migration versus fresh install. Is there any real difference? My reservations against the fresh install is download times for some plug-ins and VI's added to the install times versus the simple transfer of folders, apps, keys, etc. from the old mac...

I've read recommendations against Migration Assistant. Does the same hold true for a more hands on approach?

That said my go to method is a hybrid migration where I choose a fresh install but move large blocks of data like sample libraries manually instead of installing them from scratch.

Thanks Eric, That's the method I'm going to try as well. Haven't had much success with the Migration Assistant in the past.

Well, I consider myself to be fairly thorough at grabbing all the files from the HD/Library, User/Library locations, etc. But none of the third party V.I.'s (Komplete10U, Amplesound, AirmusicTech,Trilian, etc.)would load. Sigh. Here goes hours of downloading and installing... It would be nice if my other MBP had more than another day or two before the display absolutely falls off. I phase this new one in over the next couple of weeks.

I use both Trilian and Kontakt and can move the sample libraries without problems.

What I do is to install the latest version of the plug-in but only the plug-in.

Trilian will than ask you to locate its STEAM Library if it isn't in the default location.

You can add all your libraries to Kontakt from the plug-in itself.