I don't understand how to connect my Yamaha CP33 to logic

hgreenw1

I'm sorry for a simple question, but I'm just used to hooking up a USB from old keyboard, and when I try and do that with my new CP33, I get zero sound coming out of it. Also, I tried using a midi input and output hookup instead of a usb, and a window does popup saying

"The number of MIDI inputs and outputs has changed. Now 1 inputs and 2 outputs are available."

so I'm assuming that means it is reading it, but i have 0 idea what to do after that. Any help would be much appreciated

You'll get sound out of a USB connection only if there's an audio driver for the USB connection on your Yamaha, such as an mLan driver (which I don't believe the CP33 has, but I could be wrong). Otherwise, you need audio cables from the audio outputs of the CP33 connected into audio inputs on your audio interface.

You'll get sound out of a USB connection only if there's an audio driver for the USB connection on your Yamaha, such as an mLan driver (which I don't believe the CP33 has, but I could be wrong). Otherwise, you need audio cables from the audio outputs of the CP33 connected into audio inputs on your audio interface.
thanks for the help

Im a bit confused, Im guessing your saying midi cables aren't the way to go? audio cables are? which ones do i need?

MIDI and audio are two different types of signal. MIDI only contains the performance (for example a MIDI Note transmitted by your keyboard to Logic tells Logic that a key was pressed, the pitch was D#3, and the velocity was 98), but it doesn't say anything about the sound. You then decide which instrument you want to use in Logic to be triggered by that MIDI data and in turn generate sound.

Audio is the sound itself.

So MIDI cables won't carry audio, no. Your USB connection is already taking care of the MIDI data, so now you need audio cables for the audio signal.

Hope that helps?