Specific Ultrabeat .ubs instruments are distorting

TheWaveCollector

Hi! I created a project a while back and have since gone back to it to find that it still sounds fine. However today I opened it and noticed that there was a strange kind of bitcrush sounding distortion on only the kick drum. I've been having issues with my Apogee Ensemble (firewire) since upgrading to Mavericks. I'm now using Yosemite and while there are still some issues with the Ensemble from time to time, I can usually restart my audio interface and any problem related to it goes away.

Another strange thing about this problem is that when I click the midi trigger next to this Ultrabeat voice, the drum sample sounds fine. If I try loading another sample, I find that some of the other kick drum .ubs instruments sound distorted in the same why while others sound fine. Does anyone have an idea what might be going on? I don't think it is due to the audio being too hot since the distortion sounds quite a lot more like the actual bitcrusher distortion in logic (I've checked for the presence of the plugin btw).

Thanks for your help!

...I don't think it is due to the audio being too hot...

Does the level meter on the Output channel strip agree with you ? :)

Yes, even in the very beginning of the song where there are only a few instruments, the kick is still distorted and sounds very bitcrushed. I even went through and turned all of the instruments way down just to double check. Even at the beginning with only an ultrabeat playing and all of the levels turned far below any kind of clipping threshold, it still has the digital distortion. :(

I even went through and turned all of the instruments way down just to double check. Even at the beginning with only an ultrabeat playing and all of the levels turned far below any kind of clipping threshold, it still has the digital distortion. :(

The only level meter of interest here is the output channel strip's, solo the UB channel and watch that meter,

what's it showing ?

I even went through and turned all of the instruments way down just to double check. Even at the beginning with only an ultrabeat playing and all of the levels turned far below any kind of clipping threshold, it still has the digital distortion. :(

The only level meter of interest here is the output channel strip's, solo the UB channel and watch that meter,

what's it showing ?

So I solo'd the ub channel and turned it down such that the meter is reading -33dB. However the distortion is still there! I had routed that drum out to it's own mono output, so just to make sure, I changed the output back to the main outs and the problem remains. The main out shows -31dB.

I also noticed that in other projects if I am selecting a drum sound in ultrabeat, when I preview the sound by selecting it and clicking the "play" button, the sound is similarly distorted. However in other projects once I select the drum and use it in a song, it works fine. Any idea why this is acting so screwy?

Hi WaveCollector!

Click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic Pro X 10.1.1)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS X Yosemite 10.10.2)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2.2 GHz Intel i7)

• Memory (e.g. 8GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. RME Babyface)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

I opened it and noticed that there was a strange kind of bitcrush sounding distortion on only the kick drum.

Could you provide a screenshot of your mixer and the Ultrabeat window with the kick selected?

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I'm really sorry that it has taken me so long to reply. I have been busy and finally had some time to come back to this issue! I'm attaching a screenshot of Ultrabeat with the instrument selected as well as my mixer window after a playthrough of the song (so that it shows the correct peak volume for each track). I also adjusted the mix so that it's not nearly as hot. Still the distorted kick sound persists whether it is soloed or part of the whole mix!

This is an old mix, so I probably did all kinds of dumb stuff in the process and there are quite a few tracks. It'll be a bit embarrassing to post, but here goes! :P Hopefully someone can help me! Thank you :)

UB.png.0f4af1e6e9e2502760628553e568a9bb.png

Ultrabeat with kick drum selected

Mixer1.thumb.png.456052fb225e9f696e00adf6ca17bf5f.png

First set of mixer channels (after one playthrough of the song)

Mixer2.png.bdd76e768359b84faff79a3c178068ca.png

The last couple of mixer channels (after one playthrough)

Another important detail that I may not have mentioned, is that if I open a brand new logic project and create an ultrabeat, when I listen to the drum sounds from the "Kick Drums Acoustic" folder in the Ultrabeat Samples directory, most of the drums are distorted and bitcrushed here too! It's not just the single sample, but some problem that it seems Logic is having with some of the Ultrabeat samples.

Can you create a Logic project with an Ultrabeat instance and the sounds you are having trouble with, and then upload the project.

It's very difficult to really understand what problem you may be having, but at least we can verify any problems within the source material itself by hearing them on our own systems.

• 3 years later...

So 4 years later and I have a solution for this! I did end up solving the problem years ago but I don't remember what I did and I'm not sure if I even knew at the time what had fixed things. In case there's anyone out there having the same problem, I can shed at least a little light on the issue.

I encountered the same problem again on a recent mix and took to Google to find answers. Lo and behold I found my own post! So I had to do some poking around. This time it was very clear that the problem arose after a particular bounce of the project in question. Suddenly certain audio files were slowed down and no longer positioned correctly in the project and once again one of my Ultrabeat instruments was distorting in a sort of bitcrushed way.

So I restored the project to the most recent version prior to the bounce and viola, everything was back to normal! I'm not sure exactly what's happening, but it seems as if the project somehow becomes corrupted in certain circumstances, leading to all sorts of strange problems. The bounce in this case was an offline bounce, and I wonder if there was some small hiccup in the bounce process that affected the state of the project. This is the only thing I can think of since reloading the Ultrabeat instruments caused the same exact problem and the audio files seemed exactly as they had before save for the somewhat slower speed and inaccurate positioning on the timeline.

So your best bet if you're encountering this problem is to try reverting to an earlier version of your project. It's very possible that the project has become corrupted in some way. I hope one day I have a better understanding of exactly why that happens, but at least the project is back to normal!