Any way to "diff" 2 regions?

razzzzz

I do a lot of cutting and pasting of MIDI regions when making a song sketch. For example, I copy a 2-bar region for my bass part, paste it, and change the copy slightly to add some variety.Usually, I pay close attention to the regions as I change them, tracking the changes with a slightly different region color or name.

But sometimes, I get caught up in some quick edits and forget which versions I altered, especially after I close the project for a few days. In these cases, I would really like to "diff" two regions and compare if they contain the same MIDI notes so I can get my project organized again.

I'm wondering if there is a quick way to compare two regions to see if they are exactly the same? Highlighting both MIDI regions and comparing them by eye in the piano roll makes my head spin sometimes. Any other tricks to quickly compare regions?

For now, I'm in the habit of opening a tabbed text editor (like sublimetext) and pasting one regions midi info in tab 1, and pasting the next midi regions in tab 2, then quickly switch between the tabs in the text editor to see if the text changes. Sounds like a pain in the butt, but it really is easier to see if two regions have any differences at all.

Would be really sweet if there was a built in "diff these two regions" function, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't exist. That said, I'm open to any other suggestions from users who have a similar issue.

Thanks for chiming in, Eric. I'll check out BBEdit. I could also dust of my scripting skills and make a batch script.

I think an in-app "compare two regions" function would be really handy in this case though. Anybody else found themselves in the same position wishing there was a way to compare two regions? I'll suggest a new feature to apple if anybody else thinks this might be useful.

Well shoot. I just realized that I can open the event list and highlight region 1, then highlight region 2, and see if the text changes. Basically the same result as using a tabbed text editor, but only works in small regions that don't have a lot of events (otherwise you would need to scroll down to compare the regions). Turns out most of my regions don't have a lot of events, so using the event list works (for now)...

That said, I'm "sticking to my guns"... a "compare two regions" function would still be useful.

I just realized that I can open the event list and highlight region 1, then highlight region 2, and see if the text changes. Basically the same result as using a tabbed text editor, but only works in small regions that don't have a lot of events (otherwise you would need to scroll down to compare the regions). Turns out most of my regions don't have a lot of events, so using the event list works (for now)...

Can't you just open the pianoroll and do the same thing there, i.e. selecting first region 1, then region 2 etc.,

works just fine here ? Then it's easy to set the zoom so you can see all the events ?

Can't you just open the pianoroll and do the same thing there, i.e. selecting first region 1, then region 2 etc.,

works just fine here ? Then it's easy to set the zoom so you can see all the events ?

That's one of the first things I tried. Super hit-or-miss for me... mostly miss... so miss that I gave up on it altogether. Often what happens is that the piano roll display cuts off one of the two regions, making it super difficult to compare. And when I'm comparing 30 regions or so, it's a pain in the butt.

RegionSwitch.gif.a7e7e321c7d7f0352ca225f2564d721c.gif

OK, I see what you mean now, strange... Seems pretty unpredictable here too, compared two regions first,

they lined up perfectly in piano roll, but trying again with a couple of regions more, some line up and some just don't.

Maybe someone can shed a light on why this is happening ?

• 2 months later...

Archived