Playing hardware with MIDI

logicquestions

The easiest way is to use the External Instrument plugin (which you probably used already, depending of the way you recorded the notes in Logic). image.jpg.b71a17ab9cf0eb95e176227cfe37772e.jpg Check below for details

If you are not familiar with (External Instrument plugin or) using external MIDI controller/devices, check in your MIDI interface user manual (or your MOTU 828 mkII's user manual p.19 & 20 for proper connexions). Using up-to-date (MOTU) drivers is also usually advisable.

Once properly connected you should be able to see your connected gear in the AudioMIDi Setup app window of your Apple computer.

Ensure that you have the MIDI channel correspondance between your external MIDI soundbox and your Logic track.

Using the External Instrument plugin:

External Instrument overview

You can use the External Instrument to route external MIDI sound generators through the Logic Pro Mixer, which you can then process with effects.

You can also use the External Instrument to transmit and receive MIDI information through the instrument channel strip that it is inserted into. This enables you to control an external sound module—both MIDI and audio—from within one element.

To avoid constant repatching of devices, it is best to use an audio interface that supports multiple inputs and outputs. The External Instrument plug-in is inserted into instrument channel strips in place of a software instrument.

External Instrument parameters

• MIDI Destination pop-up menu: Choose the target MIDI instrument and channel.

• Input pop-up menu: Choose the inputs of your audio hardware that the MIDI sound generator

is connected to.

• Input Volume slider and field: Move to set the incoming signal level.

Use the External Instrument

The track routed to an instrument channel strip that is being used for an external MIDI sound module behaves just like a standard software instrument track. This enables you to record and play back MIDI regions on it, with the following benefits:

• You can use the sounds and synthesis engine of your MIDI module with no overhead on your computer CPU apart from effects used in the channel strip.

• You can use insert and send effects. To use send effects, route the instrument channel strip to aux channel strips.

• You can bounce external MIDI instrument parts, with or without effects, to an audio file in real time. This makes the creation of a mix, including all internal and external devices and tracks, a one-step process.

Note: Bouncing an External Instrument track cannot happen faster than real time, as is the case with any bounce operation where MIDI hardware is involved.

When you use multitimbral MIDI sound sources, you can gain maximum flexibility by using multiple External Instrument instances. In this situation, connect a separate audio output of the tone generator (if equipped with multiple outputs) to different inputs on your audio interface— each addressed by individual External Instruments.

Process external MIDI instruments with effects

1 Connect the output (or output pair) of your MIDI module with an input (or input pair) on your audio interface.

Note: These can be either analog or digital connections if your audio interface and MIDI sound generator are equipped with either, or both.

2 Create an instrument channel strip.

3 Click the Instrument slot, then choose External Instrument from the pop-up menu.

4 Choose the MIDI Destination from the pop-up menu in the External Instrument window.

5 Choose the input (of your audio interface) that the MIDI sound generator is connected to from the Input pop-up menu.

6 Adjust the Input Volume, if necessary.

7 Insert any required effects into the Insert slots of the channel strip (or channel strips, if you are

using multiple External Instrument instances with a multitimbral sound source).

You can also route the instrument channel strip to aux channel strips, if you want to use send effects.

Amazing!

I just chose MIDI Channel 1 on the MOTU interface and I got the hardware playing from MIDI notes.

I've got a MIDI router that takes the MIDI out signal from the MOTU and sends it to a few different pieces of hardware. I guess the advantage to assigning different MIDI channels from the MOTU for each piece of hardware would be to be able to send different messages to different pieces of gear at the same time? (Right now everything is on channel 1 so I guess that wouldn't be possible).

Either way, this is an exciting discovery for me. Thank you!

... I guess the advantage to assigning different MIDI channels from the MOTU for each piece of hardware would be to be able to send different messages to different pieces of gear at the same time? ...

Correct. The MIDI channel correspondance (between gears) serves that very purpose indeed.