Can you insert a channel strip without removing effects?

tadhgerty

I've always wondered if there is a way to load in a channel strip without removing any of the effects on a channel. For example, I have chorus and distortion on a channel then decide I want to add my compression + 6dB gain channel strip preset, which adds an instance of the compressor and one of gain underneath the chorus and distortion, rather than replacing those plugins. Otherwise, channel strips are pretty useless to me because I never know what an instrument will need as far as effects go until I'm producing. If there is a way to do this, it would seriously speed up my workflow!

my compression + 6dB gain channel strip preset, which adds an instance of the compressor and one of gain

For this specific example, you could remove the gain plug-in and use the compressor's ouptut gain instead, then save the compressor setting in the library. To insert that compressor as the last plug-in on a channel strip, click the gain reduction meter on the channel strip, and with the library open, click to the left of the compressor plug-in, then choose your compressor setting in the library.

Right, I was just using that as an example, not actually something I needed in my projects - thanks though. It's too bad you can't do this, it's so convenient in Ableton just dragging in an effect preset into the middle of your chain. Maybe in a future version. Thanks anyway!

Archived