Need help using an external Midi controller with logic

Tberculosis

Hello, I was wondering how to assign different notes to an external midi controller. Pardon my lack of a better word for this, but I'm very new to this and English is my second language so I don't know the word for it. It's basically a thing with buttons and each button plays a note. When using the drum machine instrument with it, its not in the right octave. Basically, is there a way to assign a note to a button manually?

You can use the transpose parameter in both the region and instrument inspector but the best thing would probably be to alter the triggers themselves through your hardware.

What kind of MIDI controller do you use?

Click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic Pro X 10.1.1)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS X Yosemite 10.10.2)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2.2 GHz Intel i7)

• Memory (e.g. 8GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. RME Babyface)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

Right now I'm using a Numark MIXTRACK ii and when I first plugged it into logic, each button was assigned to a note. I need to know how to reassign those buttons so that they play the notes I want. I've already tried assigning the controller, but it doesn't seem to pickup a note when I play it on the typing keyboard. My ultimate goal is to be able to record, in real time, me playing a drum machine with this controller. Currently, the lowest note is a G5 which is useless, and transposing doesn't help. I need to tell logic that when I press a button, I want this note to play.

I don't know the controller you're describing. But what you're after can likely be done with Transformer objects in the Environment.

If you don't know your way around Environment, well, the following might not make much sense.

Draw a cable from your Physical Input object to a Monitor object. Press a button on your controller. The Monitor object will show you what message that button is sending.

Cable that to a Transformer object, and figure out how to take the message your controller is sending and "transform" it into the right note. The top line in the Transformer should match what it's receiving, and the bottom line will describe what the Transformer outputs whenever the conditions match the top line.

In turn, cable the Transformer into Sequencer Input. That allows it to reach the Main window's chosen track.

Alternatively, there is a MIDI plug-in that can do this in a Channel Strip, but I don't have a clue how that works.

Archived