Make EZDrummer Midi work with Drummer?

thestickman

I've seen the vids about making drummer midi work with SSD4. Not interested in that.

I LOVE the sound of Drummer's samples. I equally love creating drum tracks using Ezdrummer 2. We know the midi flavors of the 2 are different. Is there a way to accurately convert Toontrack midi files into Drummer midi?

Peace :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi all, I'm reviving this thread (I actually did a search instead of starting a new thread, hey look at that!!) And perhaps a slightly more accurate title for this thread is "Make EZDrummer MIDI work with Drum Kit Designer kits."

Now that we're almost a year later, is anyone aware of any mapping tool to make EZDrummer 2's MIDI files play nice with DKD kits? I love the workflow in EZD2 as far as quickly finding the beats I'm looking for. I then want to take those beats, drag the MIDI into Logic onto a track with Drum Kit Designer and use those kits. The kick, snare, and toms seem to map one-for-one but everything else is off.

Everything I've read is that the way to go about this would be either to use Chord Trigger to map it, or the Scripter. Chord Trigger seems to be the quickest easiest way. Is anyone familiar with this mapping already being out there anywhere?

If not, maybe I ought to just get to work on it myself.

Yes, I actually checked that subforum before posting. Nothing there related to this. I've posted the same question on other sites and haven't gotten any feedback. Looks like I may need to start working on this myself. I already wrote one Scripter to properly translate hi-hats openness from Steven Slate Drums to DKD. So I could probably build off that to make the EZD2 map.

It's a blessing/curse this whole thing - when Drummer first came out I loved what it did and it's all I needed. Then it seems Toontrack took that idea and made it better and released EZD2 - I wouldn't necessarily say they stole the idea (lol) but in any case it doesn't matter, the fact is I can get the beat I'm going for way faster in EZD2, but still like DKD kits' sounds way better. Part of me wishes I never found out about EZD2!

Hi,

The mapped instrument object is a good choice if you don't feel like writing a script, but there's no need to go through IAC for that to work: You connect the mapped instrument to the DKD software instrument channel strip, then create a track for the mapped instrument and place your EZD2 regions there.

J.

Hi Jordi, thanks for the response.

So would you know the differences between the mapped instrument object (I've never used this) and say, the Chord Trigger MIDI FX? If you put the Chord Trigger MIDI FX in "Multi" mode, then you can then simply map one note to one note from the top keyboard to the bottom keyboard. Is this essentially what the mapped instrument object does?

Thanks.

I haven't really messed much with that particular MIDI FX so can't say much about its multi mode (although I remember reading something about it working the opposite of how it should...but that was a while back). The mapped instrument is basically a note remapper with some extra features (check the manual for details), but it was conceived specifically for drum instruments.

J.

Archived