sound sputtered out and then a loud boing??? help!

tabitha

i was editing in logic today and than all of a sudden the sound started sputtering out and then there was a loud reverberated boing sound. i shut logic down and then opened it up again, immediately on playback it started sputtering and then the boing. a few hours later i started working again, everything was fine for a while and then it started happening again. i'm using only real instruments, have about 30 tracks (all of which are frozen unless i'm editing that track) many plug ins but cpu is fine. any ideas on why this is happening? i'm scared...thanks!-tabitha

Are you using any third-party freeware plug-ins? I used to get a similar thing from MonstaChorus, sending out a nasty loud click after a song with it in was open for a long time. That one doesn't pass AU validation anymore (surprise!) but there are other bad plug-ins that still do.

When you get the sound, quickly look through the meters on all your channel strips in the Environment to see if one particular one is the source of your trouble.

david-i have a fireface 800. i'll try setting the driver to built in. thanks!

p.s. you totally got me too with you're comment about wav files sounding better!! LOL. i passed the joke onto my boyfriend and he almost had a heart attack!!

justin- the only free plug ins i'm using right now are some UA demos, i think i just have the roland copycat on a track but it's disabled. all of my purchased UA plug ins run with pci e cards. but yeah, this didn't happen before i started the demo.

there is no "built in audio" on the list. it reads:

built in output/line input

built in output/ digital input

built in line output/line input

built in line output/digital input

built in digital output/line input

built in digital output/digital inout

fireface 800 (7f)

my buffer is set to 256

recording delay says 0

tracks 76

larger disk buffer is checked

24 bit is checked

software mon is checked

process buffer range is medium

rewire: playback mode(less cpu load)

max scrub: normal

scrub res:normal

gave you all of my settings just in case you see something else that i should be doing differently. thanks.

Those are all built-in audio. Choose "built in output/line input".

Oh and please give us more details on your machine? And let us know what happens with the built-in drivers.

p.s. you totally got me too with you're comment about wav files sounding better!! LOL. i passed the joke onto my boyfriend and he almost had a heart attack!!

Haha.... :wink:

i know, sorry i'm always so vague.

i have a mac pro tower with 3 gigs of ram

running logic pro 7.2.3

fireface 800 interface

2 ua dsp cards

1 internal drive 250 gig

ilok key for my waves ssl plugs

i recently moved all of my project files to an external g-tech 800 drive as per the advice of a logic teacher at the mac store. so now i work from that instead of my internal drive.

i'll try switching to built in now....