Need a score that is stable

mumpsimus2

I'm a new user, and was once a user of Vision. I'm old fashioned, I write from a classical background, and now I'm interested in writing for an orchestra. In other words, I enter notes one at a time.

My setup is a Mac Mini, a Kurtzweil PC88, two 27" monitors and a 22" monitor. (I have other stuff left over from my Vision days, but that's for another memo.)

What I find so annoying now is that when I have the full score up and I click on a track, both piano roll and score reflect that track alone, and to get back to the full score takes several steps, plus usually a size adjustment, and adding the instruments. (I'm currently working with nine tracks, so that's a requirement.)

What I'd like from Logic Pro X is:

1. On one monitor, a full score:

A. That comes up with instrument names

B. That remains up all the time.

C. That I can use for entering notes, by mouse or by keyboard

D. That reflects real time changes made with the piano roll

2. On another monitor, the piano roll that I can use for entering and shaping notes and which behaves as the piano roll behaves now.:

A. Reflects whatever track I select, so I can add, delete, or modify notes

B. Is used for volume, modulation, expression, etc.

Is there a way to have a stable score up all the time?

To unlink, turn off the chain icon in Score.

"Link" in this case only links the display. Score will always be aware of the changes you make in Piano Roll. In the sense of notes and a few other MIDI elements, Score and Piano Roll are always linked.

But there are caveats. The biggest is Score quantize. If in Piano Roll you shift a note by a sixteenth, but that region's Score display is quantized to an eighth, the note won't move. The music moves. And Score is aware of the change too. But it's been asked not to show anything smaller than eighth notes.

Score > View > Show Instrument Names.

Be encouraged: you are not the first to struggle with the shift from manually entered, note-based software to Logic.

Jay Asher wrote a book called "Scoring with Logic Pro." Also, ski has a video tutorial on Logic scoring at MacProVideos. These resources could save you a lot of frustration.