Control surfaces integration with Logic?

Hey all,

I'm thinking about getting a control surface for Logic. It's for my songwriter studio, which basically means I'm not looking at high-end stuff such as the EuCons, ICONs or any other cons :wink:

Of course the Mackie came to mind when I started thinking about this, but how well does it integrate with Logic? It's crucial for me with good integration, I'm not talking about changing volume or pans only, but more if it's possible to control plug-ins for instance?

What about other control surfaces? How good are the emulations on M-Audio Project Mix for instance? How well integrated is that with Logic?

Thanks,

i just ordered the MCU Pro, they say it fits like a glove :)

If you look at the Digi 003 and how well Digi made that unit for Pro Tools LE, the MCU is also in the same respects but for Logic, and allot of Pro Tools, only difference with the MCU with Pro Tools is you can only see 4 effect parameters due to HUI mode instead of 8 as in the digi 002 or 003.

Also the Jog Shuttle knob on the Digi 003 is really cool for anything, top notch., i just feel terrible that all these companies are not open to expend on the technologies but rather market protective and for example Digi's stuff will never work with everything. :?

Of course the Mackie came to mind when I started thinking about this, but how well does it integrate with Logic? It's crucial for me with good integration,

The integration is extensive. The Mackie Control used to be the Logic Control, which was developed by Emagic just for Logic and manuf'd by Mackie under contract. All the firmware was developed by Michael Haydn at Emagic, who is now an Apple employee. Functionality hasn't changed other than adding HUI support.

Thank you both for your replies.

Oh yeah, for being so cheap, the 003 can control a lot (with "cheap" I also take into regard software, sound card features etc). I tried using it with Logic a couple of times the last few days though and it messed it up completely. I mean, completely. Crashed several times and couldn't get it to control more than one fader... Couldn't even control it via midi! Well, I'm still somewhat foreign to some of Logics setups, but all the crashes really made me think that I'd be better off with a proper controller for Logic.

You both say the integration is extensive, which of course sounds nice, can you elaborate? I mean, what can be controlled besides the normal stuff (I.E. transport, volume, pan)? I'd be especially interested in plug-in control if that is possible.

Thanks again...

Yes, plugs, bus assignmens, sends, screensets . . .

The Control Surface Manual is somewhere on your install disk. Or download it from Apples support site.

Oops! Did not know that, will check it out... Thanks man.

Btw, congrats on the purchase Logic pro :wink:

Well i ordered the MCU Pro cause it also works with Final Cut Studio, Live, Reason etc etc.

Digidesign's stuff was not designed to work with anything else but Pro Tools software, only the audio works in Final cut for example., this is NOT a professional move and only shows that digi is on there way OUT in the coming years.

The only thins i have been worrying about recently regarding my order for the MCU Pro is that it also may be focusing more on Mackie's own cheesy software "Tracktion 3 ", really pre mature sequencing interface that reminds me of Sony broadcast software, don't ask me why its just ugly and not so flexible.

If Anyone has played around with a MCU Pro please do tell me how it is comparison to the original MCU which only comes with a midi interface and not USB.

I posted the same question before as well hoping someone out there would have hands on experience with both the MCU and MCU Pro.

I regret the direction some of these companies have been taking in response profit expectations rather then challenges in the technology recently.

It is a strange time to buy a MCU cause Apple will release a Logic or whatever they will call it soon, so who knows if they also will design another mixer with something fancy like audio and DSP as well.

Hope i did not confuse you now, all i can say is that in the past, MCU users have been and still are much happier then any other surface control owners., i like the idea of audio (atleast ADAT i/O), plus DSP been on board a conmtrol, imagine if Focusrite ever made anything like the MCU with liquid mix DSP expandable boards, wow that would be a sight.

I once specualted that Digi will release a firewire interface mixer as well and they flipped out saying information leeked, i had no idea it was in the making then :)

The MCU Pro and the Original MCU are functionally the same. The only difference is the new brushed aluminum case, the displays are a little easier to read, and the Addition of USB.

What about the complaints in regards to MUC's noisy faders, have you had hands on experience with the pro to see wether if that was solved?

What about the complaints in regards to MUC's noisy faders, have you had hands on experience with the pro to see wether if that was solved?

I have the original MCU, and I've never found the faders to be noisy. The faders in the MCU pro are the exact same as the ones in the original, so I didn't notice any difference when I used the MCU Pro.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Just in case someone was considering buying the new pro version, here is a list of the differences from the mackie site. I just bought one, loved the fact that you just plug it in to your USB, logic detects it, and that's it. With regards to the previous post regarding the faders, see last point below.

There are many other improvements to the new MCU Pro, including:

USB connection allows hookup to computer with no MIDI interface purchase required

Built in MIDI interface allows connection of three other Mackie Control Pro Series units, or other MIDI hardware such as keyboards, effects units and amp modelers. Unlimited expandability is possible with an external MIDI interface. Click to see a diagram of hookup options.

Smaller side cheeks allow the MCU Pro, Extender Pro and C4 Pro to fit together more tightly, giving a seamless appearance

New metal housing gives more professional look

New channel strip button design allows for easier visual confirmation of muting, soloing, track arming and track select

New illuminated button caps for easy viewing

New weighted jog wheel

Improved Penny + Giles faders

R

Hi,

Just in case someone was considering buying the new pro version, here is a list of the differences from the mackie site.

There are many other improvements to the new MCU Pro, including:

USB connection allows hookup to computer with no MIDI interface purchase required

R

what, to be purchased, you mean since i did purchase this in July and waiting until Sept to get it in Europe i will have to also order a USB thiny to work via USB, craps man... c u n t s (excuse me Dave for my language) ooops. :wink: