Basic mastering

Hi everyone. I've just recorded my first song in pro x. It's just a few guitars, bass, vocals and drummer (Kyle!). Now that I've mixed it, I'm ready to master. How do I do this?? I think I'm supposed to see the final output track in the arrange window??

What is the difference between inserting a Gain-PlugIn as the first slot of the Output Channel strip to adjust the overall sound level and using the Master to adjust it?

Gain as first plugin would influence the working of either the compressor or the limiter or both. Turning up gain before the compressor is exactly the same as turning up the input gain on the compessor itself.

304207025_pic2015-04-03at11_38_12.PNG.5cf80c87513ef58d652c365b3804b1b7.PNG

Having a Gain as last plugin (before metering) is handy for a variety of purposes, e.g. to "normalise" playback to within peaks of -1.0 and 0.0 dBFS, to be able to quickly check the mix in mono, or to be able to simply drop the overall Gain without touching the output - or master fader.

If there's only one stereo output, then the difference is academic. If there are more stereo outputs, then the output faders will only affect their own channel, whereas the master fader will fade all outputs simultaneously and equally. It's a socalled VCA-fader.

I usually hide the master fader, just to have one element less to consider in the signal chain. More than enough other opportunities to get the right levels.