Recommend me a professional Virtual Instrument Library

Hey Guys

So I'm looking to invest a bit of money and get a more professional sounding Virtual Instrument Library than the one that I have in my Logic Pro 9. A bit about what I'm looking for:

I'm a composer with a background of Jazz and Classical Music. So mostly, I'm interested in real, acoustic instruments. Specifically for Orchestra. So I'm looking for a wide, varied, realistic set of virtual instruments that can mimic as close as possible the real thing. Especially when it comes to brass (which in Logic Pro 9, sound TERRIBLE, especially the trumpets). The strings should preferably have as many options as possible when it comes to all (or at least the basic) types of dynamics on the string. Logic Pro 9 comes with Tremolo Strings, Pizzicatto Strings and Legato... and that's it! But I need more. I'm talking Ricochet, Sul Ponticello, Con Sordino, etc. I mean, just trying to write a simple melodic line that is played fast for the strings, becomes a nightmare with the Strings Instruments that Logic Pro 9 come with. It's like they were meant only for chords, but when trying to write fast melodies, it just doesn't work.

Likewise, my Logic Pro 9 library is lacking on acoustic instruments, like Drums. Most of the Drum Kits are electronic types for hip hop, techno and such. In general, I'm in need of more acoustic percussion, not just for jazz but for all genres.

There's of course the Vienna Symphonic Library, which is the first one everyone talks about. But I'd like to hear about other options as well. Also, are there any virtual libraries that offer you the possibility of testing them before deciding if you wanna purchase it?

Thanks!

http://www.try-sound.com

You hold down a key on your MIDI keyboard, and a signal crosses thousands of miles, triggers a note on their server and then migrates back to you, ultimately through your speakers. So how snappy do you think that's going to be? Exactly -- the latency is horrible.

But if you can hear past that, look at all the plug-ins you can test. For free. I think it's mind-boggling that it works at all. And it has kept me from some purchases that would not have suited my needs.

Hope this helps.

Hi Ron

I've been using the Vienna library since they first came out for EXS24, then later via their Vienna Instruments etc. The attention to detail and playability is quite exceptional and the support from VSL is second to none. All the articulations you want are there in Vienna Instruments. It can take a bit of programming, but the result is very satisfying. Watch some of their tutorial videos.

I've had unpleasant experiences with EastWest as a company (poor service, bad attitude) so I wouldn't recommend their stuff.

...I've had unpleasant experiences with EastWest as a company (poor service, bad attitude) so I wouldn't recommend their stuff.

It's odd...contacting their customer service takes a while, but going on their forums (soundsonline-forums.com), you can learn a lot and there are plenty of people around to help

I myself actually recommend East West libraries

They currently have their "Hollywood Orchestra Platinum" on an INCREDIBLE deal, however, you need a pretty powerful machine to handle all of that (not sure what your specs are)

They also have the lighter "Symphonic Orchestra" which is also fantastic and gets a lot of milage from me

8Dio has some great woodwinds and string stuff, but haven't made any brass libraries

There is also Cinesamples, Spitfire Audio, and Orchestral Tools Berlin Series; haven't used any of their orchestral stuff though so I can't speak on quality/ease of use

The problem I personally have with Vienna is that:

1) You have to use the special Vienna key USB dongle, instead of just using an iLok like every other company; another USB port for just them

2) You have to buy expansion packs to get all the articulations. For instance, in their "Orchestral Strings" library, you have to buy BOTH expansions of it (or the bundle price) because Volume 1 is just violins and violas, while you need the second volume for cellos and bass

The quality and amount of articulations are definitely great, but to actually get a full orchestra from them is very pricy ($2,180 for the "Symphonic Cube")

If your computer can handle it (good processor and plenty of RAM) and enough room on your hard drive (or preferably a fast external drive), I would highly recommend Hollywood Orchestra from East West; currently $600 which is a freaking INCREDIBLE deal. That is all 4 of the Hollywood libraries for the price of one

If it can't handle it, Symphonic Orchestra from East West is another full featured library

I recommend checking out the other companies I mentioned though

Hi Ron

I've been using the Vienna library since they first came out for EXS24, then later via their Vienna Instruments etc. The attention to detail and playability is quite exceptional and the support from VSL is second to none. All the articulations you want are there in Vienna Instruments. It can take a bit of programming, but the result is very satisfying. Watch some of their tutorial videos.

I've had unpleasant experiences with EastWest as a company (poor service, bad attitude) so I wouldn't recommend their stuff.

Thank you! I am indeed considering the VIenna Instruments. Though I must say I trembled a bit in nervousness when you said the word "programing". I am really bad and impatient when it comes to that kind of stuff. I'm a musician, with a very general knowledge of computers. Which version of Logic Pro do you use?

...I've had unpleasant experiences with EastWest as a company (poor service, bad attitude) so I wouldn't recommend their stuff.

It's odd...contacting their customer service takes a while, but going on their forums (soundsonline-forums.com), you can learn a lot and there are plenty of people around to help

I myself actually recommend East West libraries

They currently have their "Hollywood Orchestra Platinum" on an INCREDIBLE deal, however, you need a pretty powerful machine to handle all of that (not sure what your specs are)

They also have the lighter "Symphonic Orchestra" which is also fantastic and gets a lot of milage from me

8Dio has some great woodwinds and string stuff, but haven't made any brass libraries

There is also Cinesamples, Spitfire Audio, and Orchestral Tools Berlin Series; haven't used any of their orchestral stuff though so I can't speak on quality/ease of use

The problem I personally have with Vienna is that:

1) You have to use the special Vienna key USB dongle, instead of just using an iLok like every other company; another USB port for just them

2) You have to buy expansion packs to get all the articulations. For instance, in their "Orchestral Strings" library, you have to buy BOTH expansions of it (or the bundle price) because Volume 1 is just violins and violas, while you need the second volume for cellos and bass

The quality and amount of articulations are definitely great, but to actually get a full orchestra from them is very pricy ($2,180 for the "Symphonic Cube")

If your computer can handle it (good processor and plenty of RAM) and enough room on your hard drive (or preferably a fast external drive), I would highly recommend Hollywood Orchestra from East West; currently $600 which is a freaking INCREDIBLE deal. That is all 4 of the Hollywood libraries for the price of one

If it can't handle it, Symphonic Orchestra from East West is another full featured library

I recommend checking out the other companies I mentioned though

I'm checking out the East West Libraries, listening to some demos. Sounds good!

So, as far as my computer is a MacBook Pro Version 10.9.5, with a 2.3 GHz Intel Core and 4 GB of Memory

I checked my usage stats and it says "318.54 free out of 499.25 GB"... soooo.... I guess I have 180.71 GB left? Doesn't seem right, because the bar below, which displays in colors how much memory is being used, vs how much memory is left, definitely shows that I have used less than half of the whole available memory.

So, as far as my computer is a MacBook Pro Version 10.9.5, with a 2.3 GHz Intel Core and 4 GB of Memory

I checked my usage stats and it says "318.54 free out of 499.25 GB"... soooo.... I guess I have 180.71 GB left? Doesn't seem right, because the bar below, which displays in colors how much memory is being used, vs how much memory is left, definitely shows that I have used less than half of the whole available memory.

Nah, you've USED 180.71 GB so far; 318.54GB free

With those specs, if you choose East/West, get Symphonic Orchestra

Anything from the Hollywood Series will be far too taxing on your machine

Still a fantastic library though; I still use it alongside some of the Hollywood series all the time :D

Nah, you've USED 180.71 GB so far; 318.54GB free

With those specs, if you choose East/West, get Symphonic Orchestra

Anything from the Hollywood Series will be far too taxing on your machine

Still a fantastic library though; I still use it alongside some of the Hollywood series all the time :D

This one, right?: http://www.soundsonline.com/Symphonic-Orchestra

Looks cool but the thing is, I'm looking for something that includes all the Instrument Families of the Orchestra. I checked the Instruments Tab and from what I see, it's only string instruments. Is there another one like this that also includes the rest of the instrument families?

What about some of the Native Instruments libraries? I must say, I'm not really a fan of this company, but they do have some stuff that sounds excellent. I think the best thing you could do is go to their site and go through all their products and listen to the demos.

I just bought a copy of Kontakt, it hasn't arrived yet but the demo sounds on their page sound fantastic! There's so many libraries you can buy for it in the future. Sonokinetic has some great stuff also, and you can use their libraries with Kontakt.

Thank you! I am indeed considering the VIenna Instruments. Though I must say I trembled a bit in nervousness when you said the word "programing". I am really bad and impatient when it comes to that kind of stuff. I'm a musician, with a very general knowledge of computers. Which version of Logic Pro do you use?

I'm using Logic v10.1.1 (the current latest) but the Vienna stuff should work with earlier versions as well. Check their website.

I'm sure you're going to look at all the other leads from folks above as well. Bear in mind that to achieve a realistic orchestral sound, you'll need to do a certain amount of work with any product. The Vienna guys have some good video demos on their website, so you could look at those to get a feel for what happens:

http://www.vsl.co.at/en/Products/Software#!Video_Demos

Looks cool but the thing is, I'm looking for something that includes all the Instrument Families of the Orchestra. I checked the Instruments Tab and from what I see, it's only string instruments. Is there another one like this that also includes the rest of the instrument families?

Yes, that's the one

It has all the instrument families

When you click on the "instruments" tab, above where it says "18 Violins" you can see different tabs for brass, winds, and percussion

Also, it says under "silver" that the silver version of the library comes with a bit of choir sounds; note that with the silver version, the other instruments you don't get nearly as many articulations

Gold and Platinum versions come with all the listed articulations, the only difference is that Platinum includes 2 extra mic positions you can load which can drastically alter the sound of each instrument, as well as 24-bit samples instead of 16-bit (but that doesn't really change the actual quality of the sound)

Yes, that's the one

It has all the instrument families

When you click on the "instruments" tab, above where it says "18 Violins" you can see different tabs for brass, winds, and percussion

Also, it says under "silver" that the silver version of the library comes with a bit of choir sounds; note that with the silver version, the other instruments you don't get nearly as many articulations

Gold and Platinum versions come with all the listed articulations, the only difference is that Platinum includes 2 extra mic positions you can load which can drastically alter the sound of each instrument, as well as 24-bit samples instead of 16-bit (but that doesn't really change the actual quality of the sound)

Oh my God!.... I'm feeling like such an idiot. I can't believe I didn't see the tabs for the other instruments!! *facepalm*

I gotta say, 800 dollars for all those instruments doesn't sound that bad. I was told by a friend that if I e-mail them, I could maybe inquire some demos that I could try on before purchasing the product. I'm gonna try that. But so far, this sounds like the perfect deal.

I gotta say, 800 dollars for all those instruments doesn't sound that bad. I was told by a friend that if I e-mail them, I could maybe inquire some demos that I could try on before purchasing the product. I'm gonna try that. But so far, this sounds like the perfect deal.

If you decide on that, I HIGHLY recommend becoming part of the soundsonline-forums.com community

Super helpful people there and you can learn a lot, plus if you need support they seem to respond much faster there than actually doing a support ticket