Logic losing controller assignments with Minilab [SOLVED]

price23

Hi,

I'm having some problems with Logic losing controller assignments.

I recently purchased the Minilab, and haven't really been able to get it to work right with Logic at all so far. Occasionally, I'll power everything up and it works the way it should. Usually, some of the knobs on the Minilab will work and some won't. I'll manually assign them, only for Logic to lose the assignments as soon as I change the preset or click onto another track. After I assign them again, it works fine, until I change preset. It's like Logic is just randomly forgetting some or all of the assignments. This is both with the Arturia Analog Lab that came with the keyboard and with any of the other AU instruments in logic.

The Minilab works perfectly in Ableton Live, so I know the problem isn't with the keyboard. I've tried just about every permutation of settings on the Minilab, have tried it in absolute and relative mode, nothing fixes it.

I thought maybe I could trash the control surfaces preference file, but I'm not sure where this is, it seems it's changed in the last or second last update. I also wondered if there is a way I can write a script that would sort this out? The Minilab is great with Ableton after I customised the user configuration script a bit to suit my workflow, but I really need to be using this with Logic.

Any help with this would be hugely appreciated, I signed up specifically to ask about this after endlessly searching the web and a week of back and forth emails to Arturia's customer support with no solution yet.

Thanks.

Setup: macbook pro 2.5G intel core i5, Logic Pro X 10.1.1, arturia minilab.

Hi,

I've heard of people having similar knobs problems with the Minilab: Working fine in Ableton Live, not in Logic.

I don't have one of these things so can't say for sure, but I've heard you can get it to work as expected by using the appropriate Minilab preset (accessed with Shift+pads). Unfortunately I don't know which one's the "appropriate" one, but it looks like you need to stick to one preset.

As for Logic forgetting assignments, that normally happens when the port used for making the assignments is no longer available or has changed ID. You could check that in the Controller Assignments window (Expert View) > MIDI Input Message > Input drop-down menu. Maybe changing presets is causing changes to the port being used.

J.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I've managed to fix this inadvertently while solving another issue I was having. Logic somehow seemed to have stopped receiving any midi from the keyboard at all. It worked fine still in Ableton and I tested in GarageBand and both were receiving signals and playing sounds. A look in MIDI Monitor revealed that Logic was sending constant "note off" MIDI messages.

Logic somehow had the Minilab set in the Control Surfaces Setup as 01V96. For whatever reason, this was sending the "note off" messages. I deleted 01V96 from there and trashed Logic prefs, rebooted and now it seems to be working, at least with Minilab controlling the Analog Lab AU plugin. I've not tried assigning the knobs to other instruments, but going to try it today and hope it works ok. Strange, because I hadn't set up this 01V96 thing, or at least not intentionally, and I've been having this problem with the knobs since the first time I plugged the keyboard in and tried to use it with Logic.

I'm not sure if these two problems were connected, but anyway it seems to be working okay now.

One thing I'm finding confusing. Logic saves assignments globally. So, if I have saved a few different projects, with different controls assigned to different parameters, will it remember these individually? I mean, if I open each track separately, will it have saved the control surface assignments in there, or are they all just saved globally in the control surface setup and require me to manually reassign the knobs when I open the project? Can't quite get my head round how this works...

Also, since deleting the rogue 01V96, I was curious since it started working correctly and had a look in the Control Surface Setup. Although the Minilab seems to be working now, it's not mentioned in there, there are no controller assignments at all that relate to the Minilab, yet it's working and is able to record automation in a track.

Forgive me if this is really basic stuff, but I'm just trying to understand if I can use this Minilab in it's default mode to control the Analog Lab as well as using it to control other stuff in Logic, or whether these two things are going to be mutually exclusive and may have been part of the problem in the first place, and I'm going to have to either settle for one or the other or manually change things around between using it in these two ways...?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, sorry for the late reply! :oops: Good to hear you fixed it! :)

One thing I'm finding confusing. Logic saves assignments globally. So, if I have saved a few different projects, with different controls assigned to different parameters, will it remember these individually? I mean, if I open each track separately, will it have saved the control surface assignments in there, or are they all just saved globally in the control surface setup and require me to manually reassign the knobs when I open the project? Can't quite get my head round how this works...

Yes assignments are global. They are saved in a preference file: The control surfaces preference file com.apple.logic.pro.cs.

Also, since deleting the rogue 01V96, I was curious since it started working correctly and had a look in the Control Surface Setup. Although the Minilab seems to be working now, it's not mentioned in there, there are no controller assignments at all that relate to the Minilab, yet it's working and is able to record automation in a track.

That's interesting but I really don't know why that control surface got associated with the Minilab.

Forgive me if this is really basic stuff, but I'm just trying to understand if I can use this Minilab in it's default mode to control the Analog Lab as well as using it to control other stuff in Logic, or whether these two things are going to be mutually exclusive and may have been part of the problem in the first place, and I'm going to have to either settle for one or the other or manually change things around between using it in these two ways...?

I really can't say for sure with this Minilab, it seems to cause users lots of headaches and I don't have one to see what it's doing MIDI-wise.

Some other forum member is having issues with it too:

Unable to record automation when using Midi controller

J.

Archived