BIP v Freeze relative benefits.

Daggilarr

In order to manage CPU use I find it necessary to freeze or BIP sometimes (often I want to go back and edit the midi later) it seems to me that BIP is a better option as I can just mute or delete the wave file and un-mute the midi file for further editing.

What are the relative benefits of freezing v BIP?

it seems to me that BIP is a better option as I can just mute or delete the wave file and un-mute the midi file for further editing.

This is actually easier to do with freezing, where "delete the wave file and un-mute the MIDI file" requires only one push of a button: un-freeze, edit the MIDI, re-freeze, you're done. I would say that workflow-wise, freeze beats BIP.

BIP is a better option when you don't want to create a long audio file for the entire length of the track. Or if you need easy access to the audio file, so that you can further edit it in the Tracks area or in the Audio File editor.

If the only goal is to save CPU, then freeze is IMO a better option.

Thanks Dave, yes at this point the CPU spikes are a problem, selecting an audio track helps, but of course if I want to be editing a midi track I often need that selected. One question though, I have not tested this, does freezing take longer to complete than BIP?