Loops not importing in the key of the song

Tallmale

Hi everyone,

I am having a problem when importing Logic Pro X loops into a song I am working on. The song is being written in C Major and the Loop I am importing is originally in A sharp. I have been told that when you import a Loop from the loops section that it automatically conforms/changes to the key of the song you are writing. Is this correct? So the loop I am importing should change from A sharp to C major right? Well its not doing so. And I cannot figure out why.

After importing the loop I thought I would add a bassline in C Major manually from my Korg Triton Exteme synthesizer believing that this bassline because its written in C major (the songs key) it would work perfectly with the song but it sounds hopelessly out of key. It is only when I write a bassline in the Loops original key A sharp (before I imported into my song) that it works fine and sounds perfectly in tune.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? And what the solution is? I intially thought that my synthesizer was out of tune but now I realise its a problem that is occuring when I import the loop into the song area because the loop does not appear to change its key into the key of the song I am working on.

Any tips would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

I have been told that when you import a Loop from the loops section that it automatically conforms/changes to the key of the song you are writing. Is this correct?

Yes.

So the loop I am importing should change from A sharp to C major right?

If your project's key signature is set to C major, and your loop is tagged as an A sharp loop, yes.

Where does that loop come from? When you choose "Play in: Original key" at the bottom of the Loop browser, do you hear the loop play in A sharp or in a different key? When you choose "Play in: Song key", do you hear it in A sharp or C?

Hi David,

To set the Key Signature for the track:

When I create a new track. I click on the Beats & Project option in the digital screen at the top to set the Tempo and the Key of the song. In this particular song I have chosen the key of C Major scale. It also says the song is in C Major in the Global Tracks as well.

And so yes the project key is set to C Major and the Loop in question is originally in A sharp.

1) Where does the loop come from?

Answer: I have selected this particular loop from the Loops section/browser. It is a blue loop therefore its an Audio Loop. And then I have imported it into the project by dragging and dropping into a blank space which automatically creates a track for it.

2) When you choose "Play in: Original key" at the bottom of the Loop browser, do you hear the loop play in A sharp or in a different key?

Answer: When I choose "Play in: Original key" from the bottom of the Loop browser it plays in C Sharp major Scale (C#, D#, E#, F#, G#, A#, and B#)

3) When you choose "Play in: Song key", do you hear it in A sharp or C?

Answer: When I choose "Play in: Song Key" I hear it in D sharp/E Flat Major scale (E♭, F, G, A♭, B♭, C, and D)

• 3 years later...
Tallmale, I'm new to Logic and am having this exact same problem. Did you ever figure out what was happening? My project is set to C major and I hear the key of Eb. If I set the project key signature to D major, I hear F major. It's like the project key that is chosen and displayed is always 3 half steps lower than what is actually heard. I can transpose the imported loop by -3 and then it is heard as the project key, C major. Strange?!? Please help if you figured this out. Thanks!

Tallmale, I'm new to Logic and am having this exact same problem. Did you ever figure out what was happening? My project is set to C major and I hear the key of Eb. If I set the project key signature to D major, I hear F major. It's like the project key that is chosen and displayed is always 3 half steps lower than what is actually heard. I can transpose the imported loop by -3 and then it is heard as the project key, C major. Strange?!? Please help if you figured this out. Thanks!

Let's continue this discussion in the thread you created for it: Key of C major actually playing/sounding as Eb major - Please help! – thank you! I am locking this thread.