Midi file Import or Open opens two files [Solved]

nmitchinson

I am getting the following behaviour when I open or import midi files into Logic Pro X.

What happens is that it opens one region with the midi notes or data and then another region with only a hash symbol as its midi data.

This is becoming an issue as I often open or import many midi files into one project and then must delete the extraneous regions.

I am exporting midi files from both Sibelius 7 and Ableton Live 9 to create midi files, I have tried to create midi files from other sources such as Reaper but Logic Pro X seems to result in the same behaviour. Here is a screenshot of a midi file open with the extra region created after opening: http://i.imgur.com/5XJmwVA.png Thank you in advance for any advice.

It would appear that the extra region is created by data that is encoded in the midi file itself (of course). However deleting this information from the form found in Sibelius 7 under File > Info results in Logic Pro X importing one file. Problem solved. However I'm not ready to believe that Apple intended such midi files to be imported/opened/drag and dropped in the way I showed above. Clearly a user wants only the midi note(s) data as a region but not any "header" information (composer, title, copyright etc.) that may or may not be contained by the midi file being converted to or used as a region in a given project. It would be better if there was a way to view the midi header information without this creating a separate track and region. The event area may be the best place for such data - either that or allowing us to command click and view such header data from the menu. Happy if this is already a feature of Logic Pro X but I haven't found it yet. In any event it would be best if this was default behaviour.

Archived