Overdubbing Audio Tracks [SOLVED]

Flash_bazbo

Hi - OK, I feel the need to preface this with "I know this is going to be a really stupid question" but I'm new to Logic Pro X and a recent Garageband convert, so still getting used to how much more complex LPX is...

My question has to do with multitrack recording onto discrete tracks. I am using a Bose T1 system with a USB Out to my Mac which seems to work fine, except that I can only record a single track at one time. In this case, I usually record both my vocals and guitar rhythm part together on the first track.

My problem is when I try to lay down a second lead guitar track over the initial rhythm and vocals track. I can create a second audio track without any problem, but I can't seem to isolate the recording from the initial rhythm and vocals track to just the guitar lead input. When recording the lead part on the second track it also records the sound from the first track - even when using headphones. Ideally, I would like to monitor the first track through headphones while recording the lead part separately and discretely to the second track.

I'm sure there is a simple fix for this, but I can't seem to find anything that works. Any help would greatly appreciated - Thanks!

Sounds to me like the T1 is not really meant for this.

It's feeding back your playback and mixing it in with the new track.

Two solutions I can think of is either setting the audio output to your built-in interface, or create an aggregate device. This way you can monitor the sound out of your mac but use the microphone preamp and ADC on the T1 to record:

How to combine multiple audio interfaces by creating an aggregate device - Apple Support

... But in the long run you should be looking for another audio interface that is meant for recording.

Archived