EVB3 with other midi controllers

Jfever

Hi,

I heard that the EVB3 actually needs 3 Midi Channels (defaults to 1,2,3). If that is true and I want to use the EVB3 as well as other midi controllers (2 of them) what would be my midi channel assignment?

Midi 1,2,3 for Organ = Midi Channel 1 for midi controller associated with organ

Midi 4 for controller #2

Midi 5 for controller #3

Does that work?

Hi,

I heard that the EVB3 actually needs 3 Midi Channels (defaults to 1,2,3). If that is true and I want to use the EVB3 as well as other midi controllers (2 of them) what would be my midi channel assignment?

• The EVB3 is unique among the Logic Studio instruments in that it can be played with three simultaneous controllers—namely, a MIDI (bass) pedal unit and two 73-key MIDI keyboards. This mirrors the two 73-key manuals (organ terminology for keyboards) and the (2-octave) pedalboard configuration of the original B3.
    The EVB3 can, of course, be played with a standard 61-key (5 octaves C to C) MIDI keyboard.

EVB3 does not need 3 MIDI channel, but could make use of them to be controlled by 3 different controllers

Midi 1,2,3 for Organ = Midi Channel 1 for midi controller associated with organ

Midi 4 for controller #2

Midi 5 for controller #3

Does that work?

Not quite...

• Using Multiple or Multi-Channel Controllers with the EVB3
    The EVB3 receives the notes for the upper and lower manuals, and for the pedalboard, on three consecutive MIDI channels—mapped as follows, by default:
    • MIDI channel 1: You play the upper manual sound. • MIDI channel 2: You play the lower manual sound. • MIDI channel 3: You play the pedalboard sound.
    This allows you to simultaneously play the EVB3 with up to three MIDI controllers. You can also use a single-manual master keyboard—with different keyboard zones, or a keyboard split feature—that sends data on different MIDI channels, to address all three EVB3 sounds simultaneously.
    You can use any of your MIDI interface inputs for your master keyboards or pedalboard. Regardless of the input devices used, the only relevant factor is the MIDI send channel.
    Note: See the users manual for your master keyboard to learn how to set up splits and zones, or how to set its MIDI transmission channel (often called “TX Channel”).

The published documetation for the EVB3 is extensive and helpful....