Logic Pro Vs Finale - Scored editor comparison

volovicg

I am posting a PDF of a score I recently did... (100% in Logic). It was done as a reaction to a Finale user ( a friend actually) who kept telling me Logic could never do what Finale can do.... Finally (basically because I couldn't take it anymore) asked him to send me the hardest score he had and I would do it in Logic to demonstrate its capabilities. He indicated on the Finale website there is a tool called "visual index" which is a non musical score mockup used as a reference for the many features of the program. If I could reproduce that score in Logic, he would reconsider using it and never again speak negatively about Logic. Needless to say my mission began!

Attached as a pdf is that file. Feel free to use it to demonstrate and show anyone who may ask if Logic is capable of notating score at the same level as Finale and that the answer is YES. - and herein is the acclaimed "visual index", meant to demonstrate Finale's capabilities - done however in Logic Pro.

This is one score ( two tracks) - If anyone wants the logic project - let me know and I will send it. Everything you see was done in Logic without any additional fonts ,additions or anything - just stock. Feel free to compare it against the visual index on the Finale site...

I am addicted to this Program!!!!!!

Visual Index-Logic Pro.pdf

Ok will post the logic file today. Eric - It took several hours but much time was spent thinking of various alternatives to formatting considerations. Twice I did a part in one manner only later realizing a better way to do it thus requiring a redo which added to the time it took. Atlas - "almost perfect!" I know of three deviations from the original material. Curious as to whether your "almost" is related to those three or others I may have missed being blinded by working on the same piece and not seeing what was in front of me. Care to list them?

Jay I purchased your book and read it.

Attached is the logic project. Do keep in mind that some of what was done - would not be really be implemented this way under normal conditions in Logic. There are actually more elegant ways of doing certain things in Logic but due to fact I was trying to mimic the behavior of another program - I had to be a little creative. For example I normally use automatic short/long names for instrument assignments - in this case I had to use text names based of the fact the track name appears in the middle of the page...etc stuff like that.

Anyway - if it is useful & helps in learning logic or more importantly convincing non-believers to believe. Do with what you want with it. Save it, share it, send it, delete it!

Make sure you select the "Visual Index Score Set" to view score with proper formatting.

Visual Index-04-22-15.logicx.zip

• 2 weeks later...
... Atlas - "almost perfect!" I know of three deviations from the original material. Curious as to whether your "almost" is related to those three or others I may have missed being blinded by working on the same piece and not seeing what was in front of me. Care to list them?

Sorry to be finicky... I noticed that what seems to be cross-staff beaming is made of mis-aligned stems...

732830064_missedcross-staffbeaming.png.f9e48f19071eef241a8ac6675c6bf998.png

Below is the score as displayed on the Finale website. There is no cross staff beaming in the original which is why it wasn't included in mine. Goal was to best duplicate regardless of musical correctness. So unless I am misunderstanding your comment, I believe it is done in accordance with the objective.

Thanks for taking the time to critique it.

image.thumb.jpg.b35fa62c0f8015911b09a80b4789db0b.jpg

Now that I can compare, I notice that the glissando in bar 3 is not a wavy line like in the original.

In bar 4 and 11 your beamed semiquavers are not half detached.

Besides some possible enharmonization discrepancies in many places, wrong position of a link in bar 9 of the tabulation (and the presence of TAB), the added middle line in bar 10 (which is thicker than the staff lines), the extra C clef at bar 13 and F clef at bar 14, and the relative size of various markers; yes your work is astounding!

Of the three discrepancies I could not address you have noted them all.

1/ There is no wavy glissando in Logic ( I could have used an external font however was trying to only use that which came default in Logic.

2/ There is no way to half beam notes on either side of rests in Logic.

3/ Clefs are global in Logic and cannot be displayed or hidden based on staff lines - this accounts for the presence of the TAB and F/C clef, which if remove - would remove other clefs that require display.

I just like having one tool that can do it all. There is no right or wrong solution. But I can tell you in my opinion no one come close to logic for real-time notation capabilities. Best I have ever seen and tried several. Stick with what your good at and know. Just know Logic's capabilities are greater than what most think. You just have to learn it. However trying to score in Logic without knowing Logic or understanding how logic works can be frustrating for a newbie. But perseverance yields great reward In my opinion.

Congratulations and thanks volo on your work demonstrating the capabilities of the Logic Score Editor. I am very much a champion of Logic over Sibelius/Finale because as a writer/composer/arranger Logic's midi and audio capabilities are central to the way I work and I could not seriously consider any other programme.

In my teaching practise I have encouraged young musicians and students to buy Logic X simply because I can share so much great material I have transcribed in Logic Documents, and also write dedicated practise Logic Projects and then work with them over Skype. It is a massively efficient way of teaching … well everything at the same time.

So any discourse which affirms Logic is most useful and to be celebrated!

As something of a Logic Score Editor obsessive for many years on these forums, I welcome the expertise of musicians willing to put time and effort into this part of the the programme, and I too have Jay's book ( and even Johannes Prischl's original!)

It would be great to see an equivalent 'demo score' for different genres of music e.g. classic 'jazz big band score', 'latin chart' etc both as a definitive reference of what can be done in the Score Editor, but also as a model for how to arrange and set out a chart.

Since Logic 9, I have found the Score Editor massively more useable and stable but am still missing a few key features as a jazz/pop based musician. I wonder if anyone agrees with me on these to points, and whether Finale can do this

1) There is no way to make a rpt sign of 4 or 8 bars very common in jazz arrangements ( see attached part of Logic Score Inspector) with the crossed lines and the number 4 or 8. In trying to reduce the number of pages of a instrumental part or score, this would be a great improvement and I am surprised it has not been made available. ( Aside: Jay I wonder what your take is on this)

2) Another Logic limitation is that when setting out chords above a lead sheet or part, there seems to be no way to add the a repeat sign ( slant with dot either side) as a visual symbol above the bar applying only to the repeat of the chord and not the bar of notes below. In Logic currently if you drag that symbol to the chord space above the bar, it cause the whole bar to repeat.

I would be curious to know if Finale has a way to achieve the above, because Logic to my knowledge does not

Best

Music Spirit

PS Is it legal to post here an arrangement of a well known pop tune with instrumentation etc - I would love to post a Logic Project with Score for comment

545467474_ScreenShot2015-05-10at11_58_02.png.dcecabcb039d3116105d045b74b27e60.png

No that was done using a text font. Text can be placed anywhere... and if the text fonts are of the musical symbols you want they can be entered using the keyboard or a numerical representation.

Also, I have been experimenting with a way to enter your repeat and have the bar numbers jump based on a 4 or 8 bar repeat - but have had no success. I was using a multi-rest symbol in the hopes I could hide it or trick it into not displaying using meta data but have had no luck so far. So on this one - you may have stumped me on. However, if you send me examples of the Jazz 4 and 8 bar repeat symbols - I will add them to the font collection.

Archived