waves plug ins and logic pro 9

hey everyone,

been awhile since i posted anything, but i still browse the forums pretty often, anyway i value the advice offered here more than any other, concerning logic pro 9. i was thinking about getting waves/ eddie kramer collection of plug ins, to use in logic pro 9. anyone using this, are there any issues ? would love to hear what any of you using this, think. from what i've read it looks like it would be a nice additional tool for recording/mixing, etc. however i have no experience with waves products of any kind, so before i buy i wanted to get you more experienced users opinion. thanks in advance.

bill

Running Logic Pro 9 and have quite a few Waves plugins, and they are trouble free. I had a little installation glitch to begin with, but their customer support replied within a couple of hours and had me up and running.

Downs side is they have kind of a subscription service, its kind of odd. If you give them the yearly penance, you get all upgrades made to the products, and all the bundles you own. If you don't, it has no effect on the plugins you purchase as such, you just don't get support or upgrades.

Waves tech support is usually super fast and super helpful, but you need to be paid up on their Waves Update Program.

Don't stress though, it's free for the first year after buying the plugin. If you own some of the other bundles you even get free plugins from time to time. :)

Their stuff is usually super stable and super reliable, but they don't support every platform. They do support the major ones though. Here's a link to the ones the do support.

http://www.waves.com/support/tech-specs/supported-hosts

Licenses will either live on a single computer or on a standard USB flash drive, NOT an iLok. That enables you to be more mobile with your licenses. You can license for more than one computer, but it gets more expensive then. Licenses can also be rescued if you lose them, or they get damaged. That also requires WUP, which, as I said, is free for the first year.

• 2 weeks later...
thanks Simon, for your input, sorry i haven't posted til now, but it's been pretty hectic the last couple weeks, i went ahead and bought the Eddie Kramer bundle and the GTR 3 bundle as well, i haven't got to use them much yet, but, i agree their tech support is awesome and it's cool they're open til midnite , which makes access superb for musician's working hours. and the plug ins are indeed highly stable and compatible with logic 9. i'm looking forward to delving way more deeply into all their uses in the next few weeks, but from just the skimming i've done so far they seem to offer limitless possibilities from tracking to mixdown and mastering. plus i really dig that you don't have to take college courses to use them, and the you tube tutorials are very helpful. i' m glad i joined the waves family of users and see myself purchasing more of their plug ins in the future. i hope that doesn't come off like a paid endorsement or commercial, but Waves if you're reading i am available... ha ha !!

Good to see you're happy with your decision to go with Waves. It's a a very powerful collection of processing tools. They've always got sales on, and always releasing new gear. I hear many users starting small and then slowly upgrading to the next biggest bundle periodically, that way they also got more of the new releases for free. Something I should think about myself!!

Nothing you have to do straight away, but you might want to keep it on mind for sometime in the future. You also didn't have to worry paying that WUP when it expires in a year, only when you need it does it become important.

I have GTR and the Kramer Tapes, Tubes & Transistors, if that's what you mean. Nice investments indeed.

i am indeed happy with waves, Simon, and as you said with the sales and discounts they run , i'll definitely be acquiring more of their tools. i bought the Kramer Signature collection, which is 5 different plug in channels with Eddie's mix of gear and settings for each channel, they are : vocal ch, guitar ch, bass ch, drums ch, and effects ch, each have plenty of controls and such for tweaking and salting to taste. very easy to use, as you don't have to select the gear that makes up a channel, instead you just dial in the sound your after and voila you have a track that sits just right in the mix plus giving a world class sound to your whole production. the Kramer tapes tubes and transistors bundle is one i have my eye on next. by the way are you using the studio rack they have free for waves owners? if so is it something that helps with using waves in native situations or more of a benefit in a dsp enviroment? from what i read on the waves site it helps manage up to 8 instances of waves and some 3rd party plug ins per track by containing them in one chain, that is accessible within the track it's being used in. just wondering about the benefit vs. cpu drain in a native setting. at the moment i probably won't be using more than 3 or 4 plugins on any one track anyway, but as i inevitably acquire more from waves i can see that number going up. interested in your thoughts / experiences with this, thanks.

I've only used the SoundRack in a couple of situations. I've used it in RX because there is no way to chain effects together and so you would have to process every plugin individually.

It's great in a sense that you can save entire chains as presets and load them in another platform.

Also if you happen to run out of effect slots, I can't imagine why, but you can load SoundRack into one slot and have the other plugins occupy the slots within it.

Unfortunately, 3rd party support isn't there yet, but is on the way, it's an open platfor pm in which other developers can publish for. I definately know that Plugin Alliance has some effects on the way, and I'm pretty sure there will be others too.

You do need the SoundRack, though, if you want to tap into a SoundGrid/DigiGrid for extra DSP.