Workflow Questions ...

Beacher

Logic 10.10.1

New to LPX (long time PT’s user).

Love this forum.

As many PT’s users will attest to, LPX requires some “adjustments” … lol

First of all, is there a location of information (URL etc.) designed specifically for PT’s users migrating over to LPX that explains how to adapt to the differential workflow?

One of my biggest frustrations is adapting to cursor placement, transport behaviour and key commands. Naturally not all things work the same.

I know I can't make LPX behave like PT's, also, I am trying to adapt the best I can to an alternative way of doing things, I am just searching for the least painful way to do it.

I have taken some time to RTFM but obviously there is a lot to learn so …. here are some questions.

1) I think that my biggest habit is always wanting to “drop the cursor inside region and play from there” as does PT’s. The ONLY way I have found that I can do this is with the Marquee Tool, and of course if I accidentally double click it in, I split the region. What is the best way in LPX to do this (drop cursor in region and play from there) if it is possible?

2) Based on question 1, how to users generally navigate to specific locations for transport playback other than bringing the pointer tool cursor up to the timeline in the Main window and dropping it ?

3) PT's has a toggle feature called "Time Line Follows Insertion". It toggles playback either to the previous start location or from the stop location. I generally always want to start playback from the previous start location NOT the stop location. Again, the Marquee tool seems to allow for playback from previous start location. Is there another (or better) way to do this?

4) is there a way to select a region and loop it with Pre-Roll if desired other than selecting the cycle feature in the time line?

5) I notice in the Key Commands Presets there is a selection under US for "Protools". Is there a written summary of what those key commands are ??? Are there any PT's user crossovers out there (and on this forum) that are using this Key Command Set?

6) No fader move undo in the mixer ?? is there anyway around that?

Stopping here so I don't ramble on, and thanks with your patience for a crossover user.

1) I think that my biggest habit is always wanting to “drop the cursor inside region and play from there” as does PT’s. The ONLY way I have found that I can do this is with the Marquee Tool, and of course if I accidentally double click it in, I split the region. What is the best way in LPX to do this (drop cursor in region and play from there) if it is possible?

You have to use the timeline for playback location.

2) Based on question 1, how to users generally navigate to specific locations for transport playback other than bringing the pointer tool cursor up to the timeline in the Main window and dropping it ?

You have to use the timeline for playback location.

3) PT's has a toggle feature called "Time Line Follows Insertion". It toggles playback either to the previous start location or from the stop location. I generally always want to start playback from the previous start location NOT the stop location. Again, the Marquee tool seems to allow for playback from previous start location. Is there another (or better) way to do this?

Don't use the Marquee for playback, it is better suited to editing. Try it as your secondary tool.

Use cycle to playback from the same point. Use an overlong cycle if you don't actually want it to cycle.

4) is there a way to select a region and loop it with Pre-Roll if desired other than selecting the cycle feature in the time line?

Cycle is how it is done.

5) I notice in the Key Commands Presets there is a selection under US for "Protools". Is there a written summary of what those key commands are ??? Are there any PT's user crossovers out there (and on this forum) that are using this Key Command Set?

Never use them because the the DAWs have different workflows which are not interchangeable (PT's edit modes and different tools, for example).

No.

There are several key commands for this, open the key command window (opt-k) and do a search for e.g.

"Go to" and "Play from"

I select the region or a marker or one of my empty "overview regions" (repeating 8 bar regions) and click SHIFT + SPACE

CTRL + SHIFT + SPACE starts always at the left edge of the screen

If you want to start playback from the start of the region: Select the region with the pointer and use the "Play from Selection" key command.

If you want to start playback from a specific point in the region (e.g., if you position the playhead in the middle of the region and want to start playback from there): Position the playhead by clicking a location on the timeline at the top of the main window and press Space to play.

There are plenty of ways to navigate your project, depending on your needs:

If you want to move the playhead forward/backward exactly 1 bar: Use the Forward and Rewind key commands. I think they default to the "," and "." keys

If you want to move the playhead forward/backward by a user defined amount (e.g., 1 tick, 1 beat, etc): Use the "Forward by Division Value" and "Rewind by Division Value" key commands. You can set the division value to whatever you like by using the "Set Next Higher Division" and "Set Next Lower Division" key commands.

If you want to move the playhead to a user defined location: You can create a marker in your project wherever you like by using the "Create Marker" key command, then use the "Go to Next Marker" or "Go to Previous Marker" key commands.

There are plenty more options available in addition to the ones I listed above. I would recommend searching they key commands with words like "forward", "rewind", "next", "previous", and "go".

If you want to start playback from the previous start location: Use the "Stop or Play From Last Position" key command.

If you want to start playback from the previous stop location: Press play (spacebar)

You can easily cycle a region by selecting it and using the "Set Locators by Regions/Events/Marquee"

From there, you can easily toggle cycle mode on/off by using the "Cycle Mode" key command

If you want to cycle play with the count-in, I'm not sure there's an easy way to do this. You might need to position the playhead before the region you want to cycle, turn cycle mode off, start playback, then immediately turn cycle mode on after playback has started. I would be curious to know if anybody has a better way to do this.

Not sure I know of any resources out there. Maybe a google search?

Not sure this exists.

Atlas007 ... thanks for the links ..... many fond memories from the AtariST. Haven't seen that name mentioned in a long time. Did you ever have a "Discovery Cartridge" ... ?? Gotta love how fast those things re-booted with the OS on an internal chip. As well as the ST, I had a Mega ST4 ... but I digress.

"Play from selection" will get you close to this behaviour and it works by simple selection, by marquee'd area and in selected swipes in swipe comping. So, select something and hit "play from selection" key command.

I use markers a lot (and there are many key commands for navigating those) and the Go To command, which I use a lot when editing. I've got the period on the numerical key pad set for that command and then I just type in the bar number and hit Enter. Very handy.

For the longest time I've used Stop And Go to Last Locate Position, which worked flawlessly up till Logic 9.1.8. Now it sometimes goes back to zero and I have no idea why. I'm hoping that that is not the case in LPX. So maybe this command might work for you.

Another option is to drop a one pixel marquee on the background and then hit play. The song will start from there. The Marquee tool is so useful that I have it set as my permanent Command tool.

BTW, there are all kinds of Go To commands; open the key commands window and type that in the search field and you'll see them all. Ditto for other kinds of searches, IE: Play From, Cycle, Set, Toggle, etc

AFAIK, you need to use Cycle. One other fast command you might find useful here (but with no pre-roll) is Set Rounded Locators and Cycle Play. This is about the fastest way to get a region to cycle without having to draw in a cycle zone in the time ruler. Select region first, of course.

Closest thing might be Option-click the fader but that only resets it to unity.

Of course, if there's volume automation on the track, as soon as you play the fader will return to the automated level.